Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
WHAT IF -

...the drinking water was poisoned? Do you have a well or town/city water?

Do you own a bicycle or horse for transportation if cars no longer worked due to altered computer chips in them?

Do you have cash on hand or rely solely on your credit cards?

How would you manage? Got skills? Can you grow a garden? Ever done manual labor?

Most of you are doomed, aintcha?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Yea I'm doomed. Lol
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
I have a bare bones emergency kit but we'd be screwed after a couple of days.

We lost power for 3-4 days a few years ago. It was torture! I don't do well without creature comforts. No, no.
Commando Cunt Queen
I don't have a well, but I live a block away from both the ocean and river and know how to distill the water, and while I don't have much luck with fishing I'd eventually catch something to eat out there. I have a bike, generator, cash and know how to grow a garden too.
We can only dream of a day like that.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(05-10-2013, 02:26 PM)Maggot Wrote: We can only dream of a day like that.

Yeah, it would actually give me an excuse to sauté some sand crabs with garlic and oil.

Do you have horseshoe crabs there? Those things are hideous. When it floods they are all over the roads around the beach, I'm not too crazy about the itty bitty ones that run around in the mud during low tide either. Shame I don't like the beach more, it's much closer than the mountains that I do prefer.
I don't think we have horseshoe crabs, at least I don't think I've ever seen one. The little white ones that burrow in the sand are the ones I'm talking about. I saw Andrew Zimmerman eating them somewhere on Bizarre foods and he said they were delicious, but I don't know if I'd trust him.
(05-10-2013, 01:38 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Do you own a bicycle or horse for transportation if cars no longer worked due to altered computer chips in them?

How would you manage? Got skills? Can you grow a garden? Ever done manual labor?

No Problem, I have filters and live on a fresh water canal
I own several bicycles
I have been running on cash for years
I have many skills including raising food and building anything I may need

I'll be among the last ones standing
Was this question spawned from my book suggestion?

Yeah. I indicated I was inspired almost immediately after your post.
I have cash, skates, a bike, and gardening skills.

I can walk several miles to the ocean and carry pretty heave buckets a long distance, but don't know how to distill water.

So, unless somebody teaches me before I dehydrate, I and my garden are doomed!

P.s. I don't have crabs.
Boil the salt water and put a tube that can capture the steam let that drip into a bucket or cup. Use the salt water to wash with.
Crabs are full of protein, so are fried grasshoppers. Remove the bellies first though.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

I'm still thinking about the scenario in Mr. Bone's book suggestion. Like Maggot I don't think it's such a bad thing but I'd miss some modern conveniences, there's way more that I wouldn't miss.
I'd miss my AC the most. I don't like being hot while I'm sleeping.
(05-10-2013, 04:56 PM)sally Wrote: I'd miss my AC the most. I don't like being hot while I'm sleeping.

I hear ya! I like my room to be like a meat locker when I sleep.
(05-10-2013, 04:20 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote:
(05-10-2013, 01:38 PM)Duchess Wrote:

No Problem, I have filters and live on a fresh water canal
I own several bicycles
I have been running on cash for years
I have many skills including raising food and building anything I may need

I'll be among the last ones standing

I would be in the same boat as 6.
I have a well at one house and 200 gallons of backup water at the other house.
Bicycles for transportation and run on cash, However if the SHTF I think ammo would be the new currency and in that case I am set.
I've ben in construction since 1977 so building things is not a problem.

I feel a person better be prepared for the worst so I have 3 ring binders full of info that may come in usefull. Anything from slow sand filters for water, to emergency child birth. How to make black powder for a firearm to building a solar cooker. How to build a house heater out of beer/pop cans to building a windmill out of car parts. And many other usable items.
However in my opinion all that is for nothing if you dont have the means to defend your preps. So in that case you better have a way of keeping the zombie herds at bay. You just cant barricade yourself and preps in and think that will stop them.

Here is a good site, if for nothing else, than to get the wheels of thought in motion.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php

I'm so glad to see so many self sufficient people. I knew some of you would be. I couldn't do it on my own but I could do it with help. I don't like using an axe & I think I'd be left with bark & berries because I couldn't kill something other than a fish.
(05-10-2013, 05:36 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I'm so glad to see so many self sufficient people. I knew some of you would be. I couldn't do it on my own but I could do it with help. I don't like using an axe & I think I'd be left with bark & berries because I couldn't kill something other than a fish.

Just kinda wondering why it is different when it is a fish. They still have a heartbeat. Is it because they are ugly? Is it because you dont see them at the moment that you hook them? Just asking.

I don't think fish have feelings. hah