Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
19 Firefighters Dead
Official: 18 firefighters dead in Arizona

Eighteen firefighters battling a blaze in Arizona who were unaccounted for Sunday night have been confirmed dead, said Wade Ward with the Prescott Fire Department.

All were members of that city's fire department. It was not immediately clear how they died.

Earlier, an official with the Arizona State Forestry Division had said that as many as 19 were still missing.

The crew was fighting the Yarnell Hill fire, which broke out Friday northwest of Phoenix. The fire has grown to 1,000 acres, damaged three homes and forced the evacuations of residents in the communities of Peeples and Yarnell, forestry official Art Morrison said.
It's now reported it's 19 Hotshots dead.

Fuck.
Damn shame. May they all R.I.P.
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

Gusty, hot winds blew an Arizona blaze out of control Sunday in a forest northwest of Phoenix, overtaking and killing 19 members of an elite fire crew in the deadliest wildfire involving firefighters in the U.S. for at least 30 years.

The "hotshot" firefighters were forced to deploy their emergency fire shelters – tent-like structures meant to shield firefighters from flames and heat – when they were caught near the central Arizona town of Yarnell, state forestry spokesman Art Morrison told The Associated Press.

Hot shot crews are elite firefighters who often hike for miles into the wilderness with chain saws and backpacks filled with heavy gear to build lines of protection between people and fires. They remove brush, trees and anything that might burn in the direction of homes and cities.

The crew killed in the blaze had worked other wildfires in recent weeks in New Mexico and Arizona, Fraijo said.

"By the time they got there, it was moving very quickly," he told the AP of Sunday's fire.

He added that the firefighters had to deploy the emergency shelters when "something drastic" occurred.

"One of the last fail safe methods that a firefighter can do under those conditions is literally to dig as much as they can down and cover themselves with a protective – kinda looks like a foil type – fire-resistant material – with the desire, the hope at least, is that the fire will burn over the top of them and they can survive it," Fraijo said.

"Under certain conditions there's usually only sometimes a 50 percent chance that they survive," he said. "It's an extreme measure that's taken under the absolute worst conditions."

Story
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Very brave men and women risking their lives for others.

Huge loss.

RIP.

Heroes: The average age of the firefighters was 22.

One wife of a firefighter found out he had died by watching the news :(

[Image: article-2352174-1A98F635000005DC-855_634x399.jpg]

[Image: article-2352174-1A993A1D000005DC-591_634x423.jpg]
Heros in my book. They all died as heros. I hope some compensation and comfort can be given to their wives and children who have to carry on in their absence.
Now that I think about it, it seems a 50% chance of survival is a very costly price to pay to save some burning wood. 4296
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

I understand they have recovered and removed the firefighters' remains, from the scene.

A procession to bring them from Prescott to Phoenix will take place in about two hours. I'm sure I-17 will be lined with people wanting to pay their respects.

Governor Jan Brewer is visibly (and IMO - genuinely saddened) by this horrific event.

Needless to say, flags have been lowered to half staff.
Wow. That's tragic.
Commando Cunt Queen
This is a heartbreaking story.

May they RIP, and may their families find peace.
This is heartbreaking. My heart goes out to their loved ones and the community.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
This made me cry this morning. True Heros.

Heartbreaking.

RIP
I just feel kinda numb when I read stories like this.

I wonder, like Cars, were 19 lives worth what they were trying to save?

I'm sure if I asked them, they'd say, 'hell, yes' and so I won't question their mission.

RIP.
(07-01-2013, 03:50 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: This made me cry this morning.

Me too. I kept imagining their fear. They knew their situation.
(07-01-2013, 04:03 PM)Duchess Wrote:
Me too. I kept imagining their fear. They knew their situation.

One of my brothers was a BLM firefighter after his first year of college.

He encouraged, my soon to be husband, to join him for one season (after his college graduation) before tying the knot.

I remember them telling me about the emergency tents, digging a hole for your face, filling it with water, wrapping a bandana around your mouth and nose and expect to lose fingers due to third degree burns IF you survived.

I still have copies of their wills from that fire season. They knew the danger.

To these galant men: You've answered your last alarm, the saws are quiet, the pulaskis and shovels are stowed.

It's now time to to rest . . . in peace.
(07-01-2013, 04:51 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: One of my brothers was a BLM firefighter after his first year of college.

He encouraged, my soon to be husband, to join him for one season (after his college graduation) before tying the knot.

I think those who care about the firefighters are brave too, one would have to be to know that every time their loved one went out could possibly be their last.

These are their shelters in a fire. Some of them were found inside theirs and others weren't.

[Image: article-2352174-1A99DBF1000005DC-367_634x423.jpg]

As Tiki said up thread, all the bodies have been recovered -

[Image: article-2352174-1A9C4070000005DC-710_306x517.jpg]

(07-01-2013, 06:42 PM)Duchess Wrote: [size=medium][i]

These are their shelters in a fire. Some of them were found inside theirs and others weren't.

[Image: article-2352174-1A99DBF1000005DC-367_634x423.jpg]

And they double as body bags. How convenient.

"Fire is coming! Quick, wrap yourself up like a baked potato, that'll protect you...but most likely kill you."
(07-01-2013, 09:01 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: And they double as body bags. How convenient.

"Fire is coming! Quick, wrap yourself up like a baked potato, that'll protect you...but most likely kill you."

Shut the fuck up fatboy and get a job they've got the kind of guts you can only dream of you fat cross dressing carbunkle on society.
When they are busy risking their lives and saving the lives of others you will be busy upstairs dressing up as Britney Spears with your thumb up your ass.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.