Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Wonderful news.
http://news.yahoo.com/science-came-one-s...00837.html

Controlled nuclear fusion might produce even more wealth than Congress can destroy. Well... ...it's not infinite.
[Image: egypt_5.gif]

I can see where this can be considered very exciting news - Nuclear fusion, if harnessed, would produce minimal greenhouse gases, no chain reaction (making it safer than fission), no nuclear waste, and cheap, "virtually limitless" fuel.

Those scientists must be out of their minds with joy & excitement.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Think of the new kinds of plasma rocket engines that would be available!
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(10-12-2013, 11:10 AM)Maggot Wrote: Think of the new kinds of plasma rocket engines that would be available!

The low expense of lifting things into orbit was one of the first things I thought of when I saw the news. Funny, I've been watching for this for 50 years now and never thought of this aspect before.

I wonder if this news was anticipated by high level officials which prompted the push to land men on Mars.
(10-12-2013, 05:48 AM)Duchess Wrote:

I can see where this can be considered very exciting news - Nuclear fusion, if harnessed, would produce minimal greenhouse gases, no chain reaction (making it safer than fission), no nuclear waste, and cheap, "virtually limitless" fuel.

Those scientists must be out of their minds with joy & excitement.

The biggest advantage is that oil is expensive. It's always required a lot of handling and processing as well as extensive infrastructure. Fusion will have none of these costs except to build the reactors. It will be cheaper than hydroelectric and look at the growth that always springs up around dams. Anywhere the transmission capabilities already exist will have cheap power.

The cost of metal production will fall to very low levels in some cases like aluminum. Places like Puerto Rico will be exporting huge amounts of this metal.

It won't happen overnight but in ten years things will likely be very much different and in twenty years revolutionized.
(10-12-2013, 04:25 PM)cladking Wrote:
(10-12-2013, 11:10 AM)Maggot Wrote: Think of the new kinds of plasma rocket engines that would be available!

The low expense of lifting things into orbit was one of the first things I thought of when I saw the news. Funny, I've been watching for this for 50 years now and never thought of this aspect before.

I wonder if this news was anticipated by high level officials which prompted the push to land men on Mars.

We will get our chance when they are looking for volunteers with a high sex drive.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.