Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
MONEY TALKS -- MISCARRIAGES OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE?
The root of all evil...

Too rich and spoiled as a teen to know better than to get smashed, pile your friends up in a car, and speed off? Wind up killing some people in the process?

No problem. Affluenza defense -- "I was too rich and spoiled to know better". Well, one judge bought it. No prison time -- lots of rehabilitation treatment instead. (The treatment is good, IMO, but NOT as a substitute for legal punishment.)

[Image: Couch-facebook.jpg]
Ethan Couch, 16-- killed 4 people driving drunk in June 2013; sentenced to 10 years probation and rehab

Betting the Couch case spurs future Affluenza defense/excuse strategies in US criminal courts. Such a damned sham.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-fBrZ_lFIHaRmijUL90l...VFHYmmcsqg]
The victims ^ of Ethan Couch, RIP

[Image: judge-jean-boyd.jpg]
^ The judge: Jean Boyd, Texas

UPDATE/NOTE: There are now 6 civil lawsuits pending against the Couch family -- I don't think they'll have the money to continue indulging themselves and their son without regard for much longer -- good.
(03-31-2014, 10:08 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: UPDATE/NOTE: There are now 6 civil lawsuits pending against the Couch family -- I don't think they'll have the money to continue indulging themselves and their son without regard for much longer -- good.

That's wonderful to read. I still find it unbelievable that the judge gave the sentence she did. I don't see it as a deterrent at all.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
All in the family...

Rape and/or sexually molest your toddler children? Get arrested when one of the kids reveals your sworn secret? Get convicted?

No problem, if you're a DuPont / Richards heir.
[Image: roberth.richards.jpg]
Robert H. Richards -- convicted of raping his 3-year-old daughter in 2005; sentenced to case manager visits at home.

[Image: 1396133199000-Jan-Jurden-file.jpg]
Delaware Superior Court Judge Jan Jurden ^ sentenced Richards to eight years in prison but suspended that for Level II probation, which requires monthly visits with a case officer.

When delivering sentencing, Judge Jurden said on record that she believed Richards "will not fare well" in prison and in considering his unique circumstances, needed treatment instead of time behind bars.

Richards is also believed to have sexually assaulted his son, but no criminal charges have been filed against him on that one.

[Image: 1395172362000-dupontstory.jpg]
The children's mother, Tracy Richards ^, is now going public and suing her ex-husband in civil court for pain and suffering caused to the children (also pictured is her attorney, Thomas C. Crumplar).

Ref:
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news...t/6565107/
Assholes
If I ever had unlimited money I'd pay to ruin some of these sons of bitches. Money well spent.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.

Fricken DuPont's. Years ago one murdered a wrestler, I think it was. I know he's still in prison and he may have been found insane, I can't recall, it was a long time ago. Old lady Dupont has a horse farm out here. She's dead now but I used to see her in the grocery store, post office, places like that and you would never know by looking at her that she was wealthy. She looked like a farm worker and drove an old beat up station wagon, she was always covered in cat hair. She was very pro-animal and gave many unfortunate horses, cats and other animals a place to live out their days.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]