Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Those darned Americans!
Americans subdue French train gunman

Forensics experts check the crime scene, 21 Aug

Three people are hurt as a heavily armed man opens fire on a train in northern France, before being overpowered by American passengers.

3 hours ago

The big,big,big BBC

French media said the passengers who overpowered the suspect were US Marines who had heard the man loading a weapon in a toilet cubicle and confronted him when he came out. Dancingparty
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

I JUST got done reading about that! Hoorah!
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
When they say "heavily armed man" does that mean a guy with a gun?
hah
(08-21-2015, 08:54 PM)Maggot Wrote: When they say "heavily armed man" does that mean a guy with a gun?
hah
not necessarily. In France, it could also mean you're carrying a baguette, a bottle of wine, and some Brie.
I'm surprised he didn't come out of the bathroom with his hands already up.
Haven't heard anything about that on the NEWS, wonder why that is?
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

(08-22-2015, 09:03 AM)Carsman Wrote: Haven't heard anything about that on the NEWS, wonder why that is?

I would think the gun grabbers would be all over this. The marines didn't even need guns.

Also:
Train staff on board the high speed train which was the scene of a suspected Islamic extremist attack yesterday have been accused of barricading themselves in their staffroom and locking the door, leaving passengers to fend for themselves.

The Moroccan terrorist was disarmed and beaten unconscious by US servicemen and a British man after he opened fire on a Paris-bound train with a Kalashnikov.

Now, French actor Jean-Hugues Anglade, who was on board the Thalys train during the attack has slammed train staff who he claims locked themselves in an office away from the attacker and refused to help the trapped passengers.

Updated story
Pesky Americans always intervening in other countries business.

I wonder if they've put the Marines in jail yet for being oppressors.
[Image: article-3208541-2BA18AD400000578-765_636x382.jpg]

French President Francois Hollande presented Legion d'Honneur medals to British businessman Chris Norman (far left) along with U.S. National Guardsman Alek Skarlatos, U.S. Airman Spencer Stone, U.S. student Anthony Sadler (all pictured l-r, right image, with Mr Hollande and U.S. Ambassador to France Jane Hartley) at the Elysee Palace in Paris.

Mr Hollande told Mr Stone and Mr Skarlatos that while they may have been soldiers on that day 'you were simply passengers. You behaved as soldiers but also as responsible men.'

The pair and their longtime friend Mr Sadler, subdued the gunman as he moved through the train with an assault rifle strapped to his bare chest. Mr Norman, an IT expert, then jumped in to help tie him up. The ceremony was held as the first heroic passenger who wrestled a machine gun from Ayoub El-Khazzani on the high-speed train was today revealed to be American professor Mark Moogalian (inset).

Well done. 59
So, wouldn't it be great if these guys were rewarded for their heroism?

There are so many rich people in this world.

What if a few of them publicly donated $1M to each person as a gesture for their bravery?

I think that'd be wonderful.
Why, MS?

They are already being rewarded with worldwide gratitude and recognition.

People should do the right thing without expecting to be rewarded for it materialistically or financially, IMO.

Plus, while it in no way detracts from their bravery, stopping that potential terror attack was not only an act of bravery, but also one of self-preservation.
(08-24-2015, 04:21 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Why, MS?

They are already being rewarded with worldwide gratitude and recognition.

People should do the right thing without expecting to be rewarded for it materialistically or financially, IMO.

Plus, while it in no way detracts from their bravery, stopping that potential terror attack was not only an act of bravery, but also one of self-preservation.

For instance, Bill Gates has apparently dedicated himself to a life of philanthropy.

While there are many, many causes/charities he can give his money to, what a great thing it would be to financially reward these guys too.

And, if in turn, more people stepped up and did the right thing, as you stated, couldn't the world potentially be a better place?

I guess you can just call me crazy (or maybe Deez Nuts are causing me to not think clearly?)
(08-24-2015, 01:54 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: [Image: article-3208541-2BA18AD400000578-765_636x382.jpg]

French President Francois Hollande presented Legion d'Honneur medals to British businessman Chris Norman (far left) along with U.S. National Guardsman Alek Skarlatos, U.S. Airman Spencer Stone, U.S. student Anthony Sadler (all pictured l-r, right image, with Mr Hollande and U.S. Ambassador to France Jane Hartley) at the Elysee Palace in Paris.

Mr Hollande told Mr Stone and Mr Skarlatos that while they may have been soldiers on that day 'you were simply passengers. You behaved as soldiers but also as responsible men.'

The pair and their longtime friend Mr Sadler, subdued the gunman as he moved through the train with an assault rifle strapped to his bare chest. Mr Norman, an IT expert, then jumped in to help tie him up. The ceremony was held as the first heroic passenger who wrestled a machine gun from Ayoub El-Khazzani on the high-speed train was today revealed to be American professor Mark Moogalian (inset).

Well done. 59
The version I heard was a bit different. I heard that the assault rifle jammed and the gunman couldn't clear the round so he discarded it and grabbed his hand gun. In grabbing the handgun he released the clip which left him with just the one round in the pipe.
I don't know if you're crazy, but I think it's a shallow and short-sighted idea.

First of all, as I said, money isn't the only or most appropriate reward for protecting self and others.

Secondly, way to give a bunch of greedy, violent, untrained wanna-be-millionaires a motive to go out looking for an excuse to take someone down. "That Mexican over there has rape in his eyes, let's take him down Jethro!!!"

I think it would do more harm than good.
(08-24-2015, 04:55 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I don't know if you're crazy, but I think it's a shallow and short-sighted idea.

First of all, as I said, money isn't the only or most appropriate reward for protecting self and others.

Secondly, way to give a bunch of greedy, violent, untrained wanna-be-millionaires a motive to go out looking for an excuse to take someone down. "That Mexican over there has rape in his eyes, let's take him down Jethro!!!"

I think it would do more harm than good.

Does your head ever hurt when you try to think up reasons to disagree with someone?

In this case, your reasoning is nowhere near as sharp as it is in many other threads.
I'm not thinking of reasons to disagree with you MS.

I just think public accolades, recognition and gratitude is way more appropriate than offering people a million dollars when they show bravery.

If you honestly can't see how awarding people millions of dollars in such situations could realistically set a dangerous precedent for greedy glory-seekers, then consider me dull-headed my friend.

I can take it! Smiley_emoticons_smile
(08-24-2015, 05:30 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I'm not thinking of reasons to disagree with you MS.

I just think public accolades, recognition and gratitude is way more appropriate than offering people a million dollars when they show bravery.

If you honestly can't see how awarding people millions of dollars in such situations could realistically set a dangerous precedent for greedy glory-seekers, then consider me dull-headed my friend.

I can take it! Smiley_emoticons_smile

I'm not saying a government should pay out.

Not saying anybody SHOULD.

However, while the public accolades are great, a monetary reward would really be cool from a public or anonomous donor.

And, if you really think the world becomes worse off on the premise that too many doo gooders will be wrongly taking down 'apparent' criminals because they're seeking a payout, then I really have nothing to say to that train of logic.
(08-24-2015, 03:06 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: So, wouldn't it be great if these guys were rewarded for their heroism?

There are so many rich people in this world.

What if a few of them publicly donated $1M to each person as a gesture for their bravery?

I think that'd be wonderful.

Because then you would have to pay everyone who thought they were a hero. These guys are heros in my eyes...but there's also a "hero" on every damn corner now for every little thing.
(08-24-2015, 05:38 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: And, if you really think the world becomes worse off on the premise that too many doo gooders will be wrongly taking down 'apparent' criminals because they're seeking a payout, then I really have nothing to say to that train of logic.

Put on your comprehension and thinking cap, MS. That's not what I said or implied.

Do-gooders, like the trained and brave guys on the French rail, don't need a million dollars to do good things. I think everyone should be alert and aware of their surroundings. Sometimes people in public places need to quickly assess and take brave action. And, I'm quick to celebrate those who do.

However, when you start waving a million dollars around, you're inspiring people with a money-motive to try to get rich quick. They could easily wrongly get others or themselves hurt/killed in pursuit of it.

But, I wouldn't care if someone wanted to offer the guys money privately. It's their money to do with as they please.

ETA: And, as FAHQTOO alluded, there are good people doing brave things everywhere. Should they all get paid a million dollars for it?
Alright, what's getting lost here, IMO, is that these young Americans (Bowie, anybody?) most likely have very little cash to their name, and they risked their lives for a bunch of people they don't know.

One is in the Air Force as an E-3, the other is in the Guard (I believe) and the other looks like he doesn't have much.

The scenario I'm really hoping for is:

Some rich guy seeks them out, anonomously, and sends them each a check to show appreciation (beyond the mayor giving them the key to the city).

I'm not looking to create some sort of mercenary program, where there's an on-line menu of Good Works with corresponding payout.

Now I need my head massaged HotD (from all this thinking and writing) and I'd bet you're very good (and bad) when you want to be.