HOW OLD WERE YOU...

How old were you the first time you bought alcohol, either by going into a store for it or going into a bar and ordering a drink?

I don't like to presume to know any of you really well but I would find it hard to believe if more than a couple of you waited until you were of legal age and now that I'm thinking of that, what was the legal age where you were? It was 18 where I grew up. I was all of 15 when I went into a bar with friends that were older. I drank with them and was never even carded.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(01-13-2016, 04:45 PM)Duchess Wrote:

How old were you the first time you bought alcohol, either by going into a store for it or going into a bar and ordering a drink?

I don't like to presume to know any of you really well but I would find it hard to believe if more than a couple of you waited until you were of legal age and now that I'm thinking of that, what was the legal age where you were? It was 18 where I grew up. I was all of 15 when I went into a bar with friends that were older. I drank with them and was never even carded.
Legal age to purchase: 21 How old was I: 13
Armand at hilltop store would give me 6 packs and cigarettes to give to my Mom and Dad when I was 10, I would strap them onto my newspaper basket and coast down Broadway chewing sunripe orange gum. I guess handing over money and getting product would be considered "buying" even though it wasn't my money except for the 25 cents I paid for the gum. I earned that.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(01-13-2016, 04:45 PM)Duchess Wrote:

17, I was traveling through upstate New York and stumbled across a hick bar. Stayed for a week.

17, I was traveling through upstate New York and stumbled across a hick bar. Stayed for a week.

(01-13-2016, 05:21 PM)Maggot Wrote: Armand at hilltop store would give me 6 packs and cigarettes to give to my Mom and Dad when I was 10, I would strap them onto my newspaper basket and coast down Broadway chewing sunripe orange gum. I guess handing over money and getting product would be considered "buying" even though it wasn't my money except for the 25 cents I paid for the gum. I earned that.

There was a liquor store in Haverhill, Mass called Kappy's. I used to walk in there and buy a 15 of bacardi every week for my mother, from the age of 10 until 12 or 13 I think.
(01-13-2016, 05:36 PM)cannongal Wrote: 17, I was traveling through upstate New York and stumbled across a hick bar.

That mighta been the same bar that served me. Smiley_emoticons_wink
ALL bars in upstate NY are hick bars.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.

Tis true.

There was a bar in a neighboring town that we all liked to go to because they had live music on the weekends, that town had the nickname of Hooterville.
18. That was the legal drinking age for me at the time.
(01-13-2016, 05:36 PM)cannongal Wrote: There was a liquor store in Haverhill, Mass called Kappy's. I used to walk in there and buy a 15 of bacardi every week for my mother, from the age of 10 until 12 or 13 I think.

I remember Kappys when I spent my summers in Boston riding the T hanging out in the Commons and listening to people like Andy Pratt and J Giels give free concerts at Copley square. Kappys was "the" place on Saturday nights. This was in 78,79 what fun!!!!
The slippery nipple in upstate is a nice place.
(01-13-2016, 06:09 PM)Donovan Wrote: ALL bars in upstate NY are hick bars.

Not true.

I was probably 19. Drinking age was 21.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
When I was 18, legal age in my county, went with friends to next county where it was 21. My friends were all 21. Never got proofed. I was not a big drinker then or now, but just went in a a couple pitchers of beer. Did drink at home, under age. Usually wine....but we were Italian, and wine went with everything.
(01-13-2016, 09:52 PM)ramseycat Wrote:
(01-13-2016, 06:09 PM)Donovan Wrote: ALL bars in upstate NY are hick bars.

Not true.

I was probably 19. Drinking age was 21.

Dono is right. Wel, naybe not all bars, but most are. Really
(01-13-2016, 06:04 PM)Duchess Wrote: That mighta been the same bar that served me. Smiley_emoticons_wink[/i][/size]

Somehow, I can't picture you setting foot in the place, It was really a shack in the middle of a logging town. The place had 3 tables and a 5 stool bar, The bouncer was an old toothless guy named pepper, and the bartender was a 500 pound female.

(01-13-2016, 09:20 PM)Maggot Wrote: I remember Kappys when I spent my summers in Boston riding the T hanging out in the Commons and listening to people like Andy Pratt and J Giels give free concerts at Copley square. Kappys was "the" place on Saturday nights. This was in 78,79 what fun!!!!

I loved going into the commons in the early 80's. Only, instead of concerts, I enjoyed taking pictures of the chalk outlines & the homeless guys.

I was a strange teenager....
Drinking age in Texas was 18, I was first day out of basic training when I bought my first drink at a bar at 17.
The area I lived in was dry so it was a hike to get beer and I had to have someone else buy it before that
21 was the drinking age. I was able to buy cigarettes and beer from Bob Moore's corner store when I was 7 years old with a note from my mom. Bob Moore was a grouchy old senile bastard who use to accuse me and my friend of stealing candy even though we weren't, but he had no problem selling me booze and cigs.

I can't imagine sending my 7 year old kid to the store and across a busy intersection to buy me alcohol and cigarettes.
Sally and her trusty tricycle.