Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ANIMAL SHELTER
Well, I'm here for some therapy...For the first time in my adult life I am without a dog by my side, I've only had 2, both beagles, both gifts...A few of you know that my dog died& I miss her everyday so, even tho I want a puppy I thought I'd give our local shelter a walk thru...It was an awful experience & I feel so sad & fucked up about all those poor, unfortunate dogs...Why I choose to let Mockers see my sadness is beyond me.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
i rescued a lovely collie from a shelter once...it felt good to save him. it won't hurt to look and see if one touches your heart.

here he is with my son as a teen. i took him out to school baseball games and all the kids wanted to pet him, they thought he was Lassie. Smiley_emoticons_smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

He is lovely, jb !...I've always thought that people who "rescue" animals have done a wonderful deed, it is commendable !
not all animals in a shelter are adoptable, perhaps because of prior abuse or neglect. i suppose people need to find a pet and companion and breed that suits their lifestyle and personality.

i prefer a certain breed and if i could, i'd get a puppy to raise. [b]much like people rather adopt human babies as opposed to older kids. not practical right now.[/b]

the collie was so loving, i could not resist him. i ended up having to give him to friends with a small farm when i moved.

maybe the shelter has pups.

I understand exactly how you feel about the shelters... it's like taking a stroll down death row and knowing you can't save them all. I adopted one cat from a county shelter like that and I ended up blubbering, practically hysterical with grief for all those doomed animals.

Anyway! Try this site:

http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

You'll still help a homeless animal and you can actually look for one that suits your lifestyle.
Thank you, both of you. ::hugs:: Had I known I was going to have a reaction such as this, I am not so sure I would have gone...I think if someone looked at me the wrong way right now, I'd prolly burst into tears...You know what's really wild, I see homeless people and while I think, "How awful", I am never reduced to tears by them...Jesus Christ.
I've never set foot in another 'pound' after that one experience. I freely admit I'm a coward.
I don't go into shelters for the very thing you felt today Duchess.

Petfinder is good but you'll still have to go to the shelter to see the pet that interests you.

Try www.akc.org and look for the link for breed specific rescues in your area. You can find dogs that breeders wind up taking back.

Another alternative is to go to big chain stores on weekends. Many of the PetSmart's and PetCo's have adoption days from the local shelter at the stores on Saturday's and Sunday's. It's a much happier atmosphere and you still get to rescue an animal in need.
I got Bernie through petfinder.com and I didn't have to go to a shelter. The group I went through foster their animals and 'show' their animals at Petco and Petsmart.
That's good Lumpy. When I looked at pets in my area, all they showed were pets in shelters and instructions to go there to look if interested.

I guess it all depends on location.
I just adopted an old redboned coonhound from the Humane Society for my mom. She has been there for 5 months and I know she would have died there, no one would have adopted her. She's not very spunky and it looks like she's had 10 litters of pups because her boobs hang down to her ankles. She also has heartworms and has to go through a painful treatment to get rid of them.

She is so sweet and lovable though, my heart melted when I saw her. I wish I could have adopted all of them, I was really depressed after leaving there.
All of my pets, both past and present, have been "rescued" from the side of the road or have found me. I currently have three cats and two dogs. The two dogs were found wandering along the highway as pups and at different times. The oldest cat was found in the woods as an assumed disowned kitten, the middle cat was found wintering under a wooden patio at work, and the baby, peewee, found me when I was walking the dogs along a nearby creek...she came screaming from the brush "take me, take me" and I noticed two huge owls in the trees above. She knew her time was short if she didn't put trust in me and the dogs...I brought her home immediately and she became instant family.

Damn people that abandon pets on the road piss me off!!!

Oh yeah, every one is either spayed or neutered too.
Fug duh kund
Aww...Look at all you Mockers with your hearts of gold ! ::mushhug::
I promise not to tell anyone & ruin your reputations. ::dlaugh::
Duchess Wrote:Aww...Look at all you Mockers with your hearts of gold ! ::mushhug::

Especially Luke. Houda thunk?

Now he's gone and ruined every mental picture I had of him. ::irk::
I knew whenI saw him post, "ooo ooo" in his excitement one day, that he was a big, ol' marshmellow at heart...Shhhh
[user=154]Luke Warmwater[/user] wrote:
Quote:All of my pets, both past and present, have been "rescued" from the side of the road or have found me. I currently have three cats and two dogs. The two dogs were found wandering along the highway as pups and at different times. The oldest cat was found in the woods as an assumed disowned kitten, the middle cat was found wintering under a wooden patio at work, and the baby, peewee, found me when I was walking the dogs along a nearby creek...she came screaming from the brush "take me, take me" and I noticed two huge owls in the trees above. She knew her time was short if she didn't put trust in me and the dogs...I brought her home immediately and she became instant family.

Damn people that abandon pets on the road piss me off!!!

Oh yeah, every one is either spayed or neutered too.

You're a good man, Puke. ::hugs::
I had gone a couple times last year to look at dogs but none jumped out at me, I will bring some pussy-juice with me next time.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I hope your wife's okay with that.
LuMPyPussy Wrote:I hope your wife's okay with that.
She does get pissed when I use the blender like that.::blink::
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.