Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ah, Christ Almighty... A Tipping Thread
How much do you tip when you eat out? I've always simply lived with taking the California sales tax (about 8%) and doubling it, rounding up.

For example, say the dinner tab is $60.00. The sales tax is $4.80, so I double that ($9.60) and round up, making it an even $10.00.

All is well and good but now I'm in a debate with a co-worker telling me I'm being cheap, that tips should "start out at $20% for decent service".

Has tipping gone up? How do you tip?
Tipping is subjective and that's coming from someone who worked in the industry for 17 years and was GM of one of the bars.

Like I told the people I hired; you earn a tip, it is not automatic. Servers that assume they will get a tip don't belong in the service industry. 20% is no more "standard" than a tip being automatic is.

If your server went out of their way for you, a bit more is expected. Were they pleasant? Did they smile? Did they tell you their first name, regardless if they had on a nametag? Did they give you enough time without attention and not too much between stopping by?

All things to consider when tipping. I don't think 10 bucks on a $60 tab is cheap. I know cheap. I've seen cheap. That ain't it.

Think of it this way; a server is taxed on 8% of their sales here in Michigan. If they wait on someone and the customer leaves them a 4% tip, it just cost that server to wait on that customer. I always take that into consideration when I'm withholding tip money. When it is earned and deserved, I give a shit about what the "norm" is and I generally tip outrageously.
I tip 15 to 20% unless the service was horrible or the dumb fucks don't know how to bring back correct change so I can leave a tip.
Excellent points- I always think of 15% as a minimum unless the service is ultra ugly and near non-existent. Even then I'll probably still leave a tip but just not return. It's been months though since I could rate any service as anything other than top notch.

On an unrelated note: Why is it becoming more and more common practice for the server to approach the table, make their polite introduction and then from their standing position, literally squat down to their knees looking just about straight up at us as we continue small talk and ordering?

It's a bit unsettling and I wish the practice would stop.
I don't know why they squat down like that, but I've noticed it myself. I think they are trying to be cute and more personable by doing it, but it's just stupid. Women do it more than men.
OnBendedKnee Wrote:On an unrelated note: Why is it becoming more and more common practice for the server to approach the table, make their polite introduction and then from their standing position, literally squat down to their knees looking just about straight up at us as we continue small talk and ordering?

It's a bit unsettling and I wish the practice would stop.

I wholeheartedly agree! I think it is supposed to make it "more personal and friendly" and sorry, it only lets me see some cow breathing God knows what onto my table.

20% is the standard tip. I drop it to 15% if the service is poor. If the service is foul, I leave a nickle to make a point.

It's been a long time since I left a nickle though! I've also dramatically dropped how often I go out to eat. I am tired of poor service and high prices for mediocre food I can certainly cook better at home. Fine dining excluded.

Other service types of things I still tip as above. We even throw $5 to the kids who help me load the truck with heavy items if I'm alone, or stuff our grocery bags.
[user=93]sally[/user] wrote:
Quote:I don't know why they squat down like that, but I've noticed it myself. I think they are trying to be cute and more personable by doing it, but it's just stupid. Women do it more than men.
And it's usually the chain restaurant's like Chilies or Islands. If they think they're being cute and personable, they're wrong. It's just annoying.
It all depends on what I'm tipping for...A server in a restaurant generally gets 20% but, the people that take care of my personal needs like my stylist ormanicuristgets 30%, I tip them at that percentage because these are people who ALWAYS manage to fit me in when I need something done NOW.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I usually tip 20%.
LittleMissPoopyPants Wrote:I usually tip 20%.

Make sure you stand near walls, then.
86 112
Note to self: Duct tape cellphone camera to shoes.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Middle Finger Wrote:
LittleMissPoopyPants Wrote:I usually tip 20%.

Make sure you stand near walls, then.
Asshole. ::rolllaugh::
::lmao::..........HA!
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
OnBendedKnee Wrote:[user=93]sally[/user] wrote:
Quote:I don't know why they squat down like that, but I've noticed it myself. I think they are trying to be cute and more personable by doing it, but it's just stupid. Women do it more than men.
And it's usually the chain restaurant's like Chilies or Islands. If they think they're being cute and personable, they're wrong. It's just annoying.
They have meetings at those chain restaurants and the managers actually teach the waitersto be quirky and fun. It's all about humiliating the staff and embarrassing the customers at those places. I remember when they had to wear those stupid hats and buttons at TGI Friday's, I guess they eventually realized that their waiters looked like assholes.
I usually double the tax - 8% - and then add some if the service was outstanding at a restaurant.

I tip my nail lady usually between $5 and $20 depending on what I have done.

This past week with taking the hotel shuttle to and from the hospital and the town car to and from the airport, I have had a lesson in tipping for sure. Some people on the shuttle would give the driver nothing while some gave him $10. I usually gave him $2 each way. I couldn't afford to give him a $10 everytime since we went back and forth so much. Besides it was less than a 10 minute ride and sometimes he took for freakin ever to get us from the hospital.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
for food usually around 20% unless they really suck
DPD Chick Wrote:for food usually around 20% unless they really suck

Oh the fun I just had with this one ... but I'm too lazy to type it out right.
86 112
[user=1]Middle Finger[/user] wrote:
Quote:
DPD Chick Wrote:for food usually around 20% unless they really suck

Oh the fun I just had with this one ... but I'm too lazy to type it out right.
Here, allow me to do it for you:

"...20% unless they really suck."

Then it's 25%.
No, it was nothing that lame ... I'm serious, it wasn't ...
86 112
I didn't write it as if it was my mock but rather, yours (thus, the lameness).