GETTING YOUR LICENSE
Do you recall being excited to get your drivers license? I remember being over the moon about it and how exciting it was to have that kind of independence.

I ask because there was a segment on the morning news that stated teens applying for their drivers license has dropped considerably and they are attributing that to ride sharing services and other modes of transportation. It's not holding the same appeal that it did to an older generation.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(02-24-2023, 08:50 AM)Duchess Wrote: Do you recall being excited to get your drivers license? I remember being over the moon about it and how exciting it was to have that kind of independence.

I ask because there was a segment on the morning news that stated teens applying for their drivers license has dropped considerably and they are attributing that to ride sharing services and other modes of transportation. It's not holding the same appeal that it did to an older generation.

I was excited that I finally got my drivers license at age 30 after 5 tries of passing the road test. Then I got into my first accident a few months later, totalled the car,and motherfucking Allstate dropped me like shot potato.  1st Accident Forgiveness my ass!
I got my license on the first try (circa 1988) , but within an hour of getting it, I ran a stop sign and hit a telephone pole.  

My first born wasn't even interested in getting his,  until he got a girlfriend.   My second one didn't care about a license,  until I offered him my old car.

I have a nephew,  who lives in Boston,  he's 26 and has no plans to get one anytime soon. 

His reasons:
The T is easily available 
He walks to work
Car maintenance and insurance is fucking expensive
He has friends who are willing to pick him up for out of town events
I got my license and bought a piece of crap car as soon as I was able to. So did my kids, although they didn't have to work and save up money to buy a car, they got our old car and truck and we bought new ones.
(02-24-2023, 10:09 AM)sally Wrote: I got my license and bought a piece of crap car as soon as I was able to. So did my kids, although they didn't have to work and save up money to buy a car, they got our old car and truck and we bought new ones.

That's because Florida sells crap cars by the dozen.  I lived down there for over 2 years and bought 3 cars for less than 100 bucks each.   Covid might have driven the price up, but I doubt the taxes/inspection rules have changed.
(02-24-2023, 09:05 AM)cannongal Wrote: I got my license on the first try (circa 1988) , but within an hour of getting it, I ran a stop sign and hit a telephone pole.  

My first born wasn't even interested in getting his,  until he got a girlfriend.   My second one didn't care about a license,  until I offered him my old car.

I have a nephew,  who lives in Boston,  he's 26 and has no plans to get one anytime soon. 

His reasons:
The T is easily available 
He walks to work
Car maintenance and insurance is fucking expensive
He has friends who are willing to pick him up for out of town events

Yeah I'm the friend that drives my friends or else I'd probably get rid of this expensive piece of crap. Or maybe not. I'm not a fan of the bus.
yeah i had a learners permit at 15.5, my first ride was a moped it felt like a limo.