CLEAN WATER
Is clean water a right?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Do you pay to keep it clean?
I have no experience with paying for water.
I've always had a water bill and property taxes. I expect the water to be clean and accessible for everyone, no Fint, Michigan bullshit. I think California has a problem with it too.
My former home had 20 years of clean delicious water during the worst of the drought, but because a a statewide mandate we had to greatly cut consumption, so the water company raised the rates, less water for more money, yay!
(05-28-2023, 07:48 AM)Duchess Wrote: Is clean water a right?

I do not believe so.  A legal responsibility or obligation . . . yes . . . but not a right.

"Clean" is too vague of a term or standard.
They turn mine off if I don't pay. I don't even know if I have the right to take buckets of water from the ocean and purify it myself. The cops will probably stop me on my golf cart and charge me with stealing ocean water.
(05-29-2023, 11:27 AM)sally Wrote: They turn mine off if I don't pay. 

Over 30 years ago, some of Scottsdale's wells were contaminated with a toxic chemical (from Motorola's manufacturing process).  Traditional water filtering and treatment could not remove the chemical.

The affected residents had no recourse against the City, because they were providing water that met all filtration and treatment guidelines.  According to standards, the water was both "clean and potable".  These residents, too, were required to pay their water bill or force shut-off.  I'm sure they thought their water was both "clean" and safe.

So . . . the City sued Motorola for both cleanup, decontamination and monetary damages.

The water customers got nothing . . . except a new assurance of water that was now "clean" and potable.

"Clean" is legal bullshit masquerading as an assurance of safety and quality.  IMO.

And that's how water suppliers and government can massage the definition to their advantage and without consequences.
Is shitty government a "right"?

Absolutely.
(05-28-2023, 07:48 AM)Duchess Wrote: Is clean water a right?

How about when you go to a restaurant? Do you expect to have free water?

I had a conversation with someone here who said customers should have to pay for the water. I thought that was outrageous.

That's not the first time I've heard that. Also, some restaurants are only giving water if one requests it.