LEARNING TO DRIVE
Where did you learn how to drive? 

Do you have any funny stories about that in regards to you or someone else who was learning?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
My sister and my uncle and one of my friend's fathers. My mom told me after teaching both of my sisters to drive, she couldn't do it a 3rd time.

I would ride with my oldest sister when she was going to college in Eastern WA. She taught me to drive a stick on the long flat roads. But found the one tiny hill to park on so I could learn how to start the car when it's facing up hill.

(09-29-2023, 10:25 AM)Duchess Wrote: Where did you learn how to drive? 

Do you have any funny stories about that in regards to you or someone else who was learning?

Bell's Driving School, 30 years old. It took me 5 times to pass my driving test. Not funny. Kind of sad. 

Also took Drivers Ed in high school. I was so bad the teacher said I shouldn't ride in a car without a double brake.

Explains why today, I have a lead foot and I'm on my 4th car in 16 years(accident prone).
When I was 17 and a half, give or take, I returned to my father's home after he kicked me out in a mutual show of force on my 17th birthday. He'd moved my little brother out of state and used my social security number to wreck my credit so I couldn't get utilities. So I went to where he was, set about planning to take my brother, and after a couple months trying other plans I ultimately waited until pop brought home the bar receipts and winnings from his three day bender, stole his car keys and the money, and literally drove a car for the first time while stealing it and my brother out of town and out of state. Learned to drive on the way to the school. Then I killed a squirrel. Whoops. My first outing lasted from Wichita to mid Nebraska where we panicked and ditched the car. Which was pretty stupid in hindsight. Made it all the way through Omaha, up the state line between Iowa and SD, and back across I-90 to a little town called Chamberlain before they caught us. All on foot.
There is so much more to this story, but the question was how I learned to drive. So...
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
I just got in the car and drove too, figured how hard could it be. I was only in a couple of fender benders and ended up with multiple fines like driving without a license for one.
I was so bad learning a stick the valves needed to be adjusted.
(09-29-2023, 09:33 PM)Donovan Wrote: There is so much more to this story

I want to know how this ends. Are you close to your brother?
We all had to demonstrate we knew how to parallel park. I think that might have been the one & only time I've done so, do any of you continue to do it?
(09-30-2023, 04:59 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(09-29-2023, 09:33 PM)Donovan Wrote: There is so much more to this story

I want to know how this ends. Are you close to your brother?

We were. I basically raised him from the time I was 12 and he was 8. Now not so much, but at the time he was my sidekick. As for the story: that wasn't even close to the end of it. There were federal marshalls, death threats and gangsters, hiding in a touring carnival, drug fueled celebrity parties, a misguided attempt to swim the Mississippi river, getting thrown in jail with a man named Elvis Presley...there was a lot going on there...
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
hah  Good Lord! Start a thread! I want to read about this. 
(09-30-2023, 05:02 AM)Duchess Wrote: We all had to demonstrate we knew how to parallel park. I think that might have been the one & only time I've done so, do any of you continue to do it?

They gave me an easy driving instructor for my 5th road test so I could pass.Didnt make me parallel park or do a 3 point turn. Haven't done one since then, 20 years ago.
Parallel parking is a must here, the chr has no problem jumping curbs.
(09-29-2023, 09:33 PM)Donovan Wrote: When I was 17 and a half, give or take, I returned to my father's home after he kicked me out in a mutual show of force on my 17th birthday. He'd moved my little brother out of state and used my social security number to wreck my credit so I couldn't get utilities. So I went to where he was, set about planning to take my brother, and after a couple months trying other plans I ultimately waited until pop brought home the bar receipts and winnings from his three day bender, stole his car keys and the money, and literally drove a car for the first time while stealing it and my brother out of town and out of state. Learned to drive on the way to the school. Then I killed a squirrel. Whoops. My first outing lasted from Wichita to mid Nebraska where we panicked and ditched the car. Which was pretty stupid in hindsight. Made it all the way through Omaha, up the state line between Iowa and SD, and back across I-90 to a little town called Chamberlain before they caught us. All on foot.
There is so much more to this story, but the question was how I learned to drive. So...

You are lucky you weren't killed. Oh my god, that is a story of survival on so many levels.

(10-03-2023, 01:08 AM)MirahM Wrote:
(09-29-2023, 09:33 PM)Donovan Wrote: When I was 17 and a half, give or take, I returned to my father's home after he kicked me out in a mutual show of force on my 17th birthday. He'd moved my little brother out of state and used my social security number to wreck my credit so I couldn't get utilities. So I went to where he was, set about planning to take my brother, and after a couple months trying other plans I ultimately waited until pop brought home the bar receipts and winnings from his three day bender, stole his car keys and the money, and literally drove a car for the first time while stealing it and my brother out of town and out of state. Learned to drive on the way to the school. Then I killed a squirrel. Whoops. My first outing lasted from Wichita to mid Nebraska where we panicked and ditched the car. Which was pretty stupid in hindsight. Made it all the way through Omaha, up the state line between Iowa and SD, and back across I-90 to a little town called Chamberlain before they caught us. All on foot.

You are lucky you weren't killed. Oh my god, that is a story of survival on so many levels.
Sadly, this same sentence can be applied correctly to a great many of my "better" plans throughout my life. Forethought of possible consequences never was my strong suit...
A modern day Huckleberry Finn.
Mans laughter is manslaughter.
(10-03-2023, 09:40 AM)rothschild Wrote: A modern day Huckleberry Finn.

Dennis the Menace is a better analogies. Maybe Calvin, minus the cool-as-fuck stuffed Tiger.
(10-03-2023, 10:41 AM)Donovan Wrote:

Dennis the Menace is a better analogies. Maybe Calvin, minus the cool-as-fuck stuffed Tiger.

It's a good thing I didn't have any siblings that needed rescuing because I barely managed to rescue myself; actually, God (as I define the term) saved my ass, on a great many occasions. I expected to be dead before I hit 30, and that's how I lived my life. Why I'm not dead is a miracle -- or curse, depending on who you ask. hah
(10-03-2023, 03:07 PM)rothschild Wrote:

It's a good thing I didn't have any siblings that needed rescuing because I barely managed to rescue myself; actually, God (as I define the term) saved my ass, on a great many occasions. I expected to be dead before I hit 30, and that's how I lived my life. Why I'm not dead is a miracle -- or curse, depending on who you ask.  hah

I could probably say the same thing, minus the nihilism. Fortune favors a fool, is how I always put it. I laugh about my "adventures" now, but some of those near misses still wake me up in the middle of the night. Dunno if I'd credit God, but I DO give thanks to a well honed instinctive sense of "shits going sideways" that I ALWAYS listened to. When those hackles on the back on my neck raised up, it was time to get fucking scarce and I paid attention to that if nothing else...
(10-03-2023, 03:07 PM)rothschild Wrote:

It's a good thing I didn't have any siblings that needed rescuing because I barely managed to rescue myself; actually, God (as I define the term) saved my ass, on a great many occasions. I expected to be dead before I hit 30, and that's how I lived my life. Why I'm not dead is a miracle -- or curse, depending on who you ask.  hah

I think it’s your family’s wealth and power that saved your ass.