HITCHHIKING
Have you ever done it? Have you ever picked up a hitchhiker?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(10-05-2023, 07:30 AM)Duchess Wrote: Have you ever done it? Have you ever picked up a hitchhiker?

Yes and Yes.

Back in high school days . . .  and before tubing the Salt and Verde River became a commercial only venture.

Dirt roads to the river . . . we'd park . . . tube for three hours . . . and then we'd hitch a ride, back to the put-in, to get the vehicle.

It worked both ways . . . if we were in a truck, we'd grab the folks who left their car at the take-out and bring them with us.

Never gave it a second thought.

An unwritten shuttle rule for those tubing.  An adventurer's code.
Had thumb, would travel.
I’ve done both. I picked up an old lady once who had groceries with her so I thought she was local. I ended up having to get on the highway and sit in traffic for an hour to drive her to her daughter’s house in another city. She was crazy too, all I thought the whole time was SOB why did I do this.
(10-05-2023, 09:12 AM)BlueTiki Wrote:
(10-05-2023, 07:30 AM)Duchess Wrote: Have you ever done it? Have you ever picked up a hitchhiker?

Yes and Yes.

Back in high school days . . .  and before tubing the Salt and Verde River became a commercial only venture.

Dirt roads to the river . . . we'd park . . . tube for three hours . . . and then we'd hitch a ride, back to the put-in, to get the vehicle.

It worked both ways . . . if we were in a truck, we'd grab the folks who left their car at the take-out and bring them with us.

Never gave it a second thought.

An unwritten shuttle rule for those tubing.  An adventurer's code.

That sounds cool.
Poor Sally.
I've hitched and picked up hitchers, but not just any old place, you have to be smart.

Some ol bag flagged down Mrs Biggie, turned out they were both going to the local outdoor market and she knew a good place to park. I would pick people up but most of the time have shit in the car.
I used to do it a lot and when I look back I wonder if I didn't have enough sense to be scared. I never had a bad experience, not even the time I slid across the front seat and the guy said "get up, you're sitting on my gun" or words to that effect. Jesus Christ. My gramma once drove by me with my thumb out, omg I was in so much trouble, worse than any time I got grounded for what my mom called my smart mouth.  78
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
hah hah

During the same adventure where I learned to drive we did a hitchhiking stint across South Dakota in this guy's truck, froze our asses off in the back because it was gonna snow and he didn't want his dogs to get cold so they were up front...
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.