Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People who take the Bible literally
Where do I begin? Should I begin? ::dlaugh::
86 112
People who take the Bible literally

Should be set on fire for being so gullible
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
Middle Finger Wrote:Where do I begin? Should I begin? ::dlaugh::
You should definitely begin, then hand the baton to me.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
Ordinary Peephole Wrote:
Middle Finger Wrote:Where do I begin? Should I begin? ::dlaugh::
You should definitely begin, then hand the baton to me.
::bigg::
86 112
Do you think people who take the Bible literally are dumb, emotionally retarded, or brainwashed? I know they can be all three but do you think there is one factor that is most often responsible? It's not all three all the time, after all ...
86 112
I don't believe there is "a god" so the book is nothing more then a well written novel for me.
I think it begins with brainwashing...And at a very young age...I have a lot of Catholic baggage ingrained...I know for a fact that some of the very religious have moments of questioning their faith and immense guilt because they do, goes back to that Catholic baggage I mentioned...I do believe in God but, not the bible so much.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Damn, MF. This topic and these questions can vary to huge degrees depending on who you're talking to, or about.

When you're talking to me, I have different views on it because of my Gramps, and my hubby; two people I have untold levels of respect for.
Gramps is very religious. He has his church and he has his faith and he doesn't ever cram either down a person's throat. He can talk politics or gardening with as much intelligence as religion or the bible. He has all his wits about him still, at 87. I love my Gramps to death and would listen to him about many things; except his church. He knows I won't listen about the church so we don't even broach that subject.

Now Bullet; he has his faith, too. But he has no church. We see things the same way; you can be spiritual, but you don't have to attend a church. You can believe in God and not believe in any church. Both of us think organized religions are a joke.

When you talk to Bullet about the bible, he knows it very well and can quote scripture as easily as a preacher. He's going to be a formidable opponent to JBF when he gets there! He takes parts of the bible literally, just as it is written, and he interprets other parts. Just like anyone who believes, all things are subject to interpretation. The difference in these people is, some (like Bullet) can argue a point with reputable source, fact and proof. Not just quote scriptures as JBF does. When your answer to a question is a bible text, that tells me that you are a bit dim, and that you cannot think for yourself.

So your question about how do I view people who believe in the bible can't be answered easily or with a few simple words, or in the same way for every person.
Sinister Wrote:Damn, MF. This topic and these questions can vary to huge degrees depending on who you're talking to, or about.

When you're talking to me, I have different views on it because of my Gramps, and my hubby; two people I have untold levels of respect for.
Gramps is very religious. He has his church and he has his faith and he doesn't ever cram either down a person's throat. He can talk politics or gardening with as much intelligence as religion or the bible. He has all his wits about him still, at 87. I love my Gramps to death and would listen to him about many things; except his church. He knows I won't listen about the church so we don't even broach that subject.

Now Bullet; he has his faith, too. But he has no church. We see things the same way; you can be spiritual, but you don't have to attend a church. You can believe in God and not believe in any church. Both of us think organized religions are a joke.

When you talk to Bullet about the bible, he knows it very well and can quote scripture as easily as a preacher. He's going to be a formidable opponent to JBF when he gets there! He takes parts of the bible literally, just as it is written, and he interprets other parts. Just like anyone who believes, all things are subject to interpretation. The difference in these people is, some (like Bullet) can argue a point with reputable source, fact and proof. Not just quote scriptures as JBF does. When your answer to a question is a bible text, that tells me that you are a bit dim, and that you cannot think for yourself.

So your question about how do I view people who believe in the bible can't be answered easily or with a few simple words, or in the same way for every person.
That got it said right.
Sinister Wrote:So your question about how do I view people who believe in the bible can't be answered easily or with a few simple words, or in the same way for every person.
Great post but I just want to be clear that I wasn't referring to people who just "believe in the Bible" - i.e. believe it is divinely inspired. I was referring to people who take it all literally. For example, that there actually was a talking snake and an Eve that actually came from a rib.
86 112
Middle Finger Wrote:
Sinister Wrote:So your question about how do I view people who believe in the bible can't be answered easily or with a few simple words, or in the same way for every person.
Great post but I just want to be clear that I wasn't referring to people who just "believe in the Bible" - i.e. believe it is divinely inspired. I was referring to people who take it all literally. For example, that there actually was a talking snake and an Eve that actually came from a rib.

But the answer is still the same. It depends on who you're talking to. Bullet is a total paradox. He believes in creation and evolution. He believes the Garden of Eden actually existed and that Lucifer came in the form of a snake and tempted Eve. His beliefs are confusing to me sometimes!! But he has reasons for the way he believes and can explain them himself better than I can. It's all very confusing to me, but I have my own beliefs, too. I do believe in God, but I believe in evolution. I have had a prayer answered and I talk to God all the time.

It's a frustrating fucking topic, MF. Without being able to prove a thing, it makes me a bit crazy.
Right about now, OP, we could use one of your excellent cartoons.
86 112
Middle Finger Wrote:Right about now, OP, we could use one of your excellent cartoons.
I'll give him that one. He does find some excellent cartoons when this topic comes up.
I honestly have no problem with other peoples beliefs I really don't, its when they try to force those beliefs on others, or use their beliefs to judge others that really pisses me off.

As far as I am concerned you can be a devil worshipping born again buddhist who believes the sun is a giant space cookie and we live on the inside of the earth and we go to a Mcdonalds in the sky when we die,I DON'T CARE.

But if you start telling me if I don't start worshipping that giant space cookie I will burn forever you have crossed the fucking line andcan fuck right off.

The only reason I post threads about Atheism on 24 is to try and keep a balance with all the reams and reams of christian stuff. When people like JBF post random bible quotes it just seems pointless to me, and when he used to post his revelations about hidden meanings he had just found in the scriptures that to him were absolute truthsin his vomit inducing self congratulatory mannerI just thought to myself "Who the fuck cares ?".

I am glad the Christians have their own little forum to share their revelations now at 24, I have it closed and it shall remain so.

P.S - Don't worry, amusing cartoons to follow.

LOL, I love it ...
86 112
[size=3][font=Calibri]I