Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stay in NOLA and you're on your own...
[Image: amd_hurricane-gustav.gif] JR/News
NEW ORLEANS

it looks like they are going to get crushed yet again. this really sucks. One of our offices is on the Panhandle in the Destin area and even there they are getting ready for big rain and wind. If anyone stays in NO they are crazy, especially after last time.
let's hope that this storm LOSES steam and downgrades before it gets to us.
yes, the panhandle could well be in danger. this thing is a monster, and nobody really knows where it will make landfall. the last cat 45 was andrew, and left miami looking like hiroshima after the bomb.

you know what used to really amaze me?? all the florida yahoo hillbillies stocking up on beer for a 'cane..."WTF, i might as well be shitfaced when this thing hits. who cares about my family??"

Those poor people...Thats very saddening.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
my friend is a claims writer for the insurance companies in Florida. For the past 2 weeks he has been running all over the state from the other recent storms writing claims. If this turns and hits anywhere significant in Florida it could be pretty bad there also.

I think the one thing that may come out of this is big anger if they city floods again due to levies that break. After Katrina it would be criminal if the same type of breaches and breaks happen again.
Shit, I've got a brother (Biker brother, not blood brother) who is right in the middle of that fucking mess in Texas. I just sent him the map in the opening post. Wednesday is going to be a long day for me, till I'm sure he and the Mrs are safe.
The storm surge is going to funnel so much water into there that only foundations will be left. I hope everybody gets out of there!
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
i have 2 sons in texas also Sin. we can only hope for everyone to survive this thing. generally, and hopefully, 'canes break up and disorganize once they make landfall.

Its being referred to as the mother of all storms...What the hell was Katrina then ?...Is this going to be worse ???
Duchess Wrote:Its being referred to as the mother of all storms...What the hell was Katrina then ?...Is this going to be worse ???

andrew was the mother of all hurricanes. just google it if you're interested.

there was a famous 'cane in the keys back in 1936 i think, that killed a LOT of people. but there was no warning back then.

There are 2-3 more forming, does this make up for last year?
Maggot Wrote:There are 2-3 more forming, does this make up for last year?
we got lucky last year, many often form and amount to nothing. but once in a while a serious bitch like this comes along. i tell you what, i'm not afraid of much, but every time one formed up i started getting upset. i would be shaking for days before a big one was going to hit. andrew did that to me. made me fearful and paranoid.

jackboots Wrote:i tell you what, i'm not afraid of much, but every time one formed up i started getting upset. i would be shaking for days before a big one was going to hit. andrew did that to me. made me fearful and paranoid.
And aren't you glad you don't have to worry about that anymore?!! ::thumbs::
Sinister Wrote:
jackboots Wrote:i tell you what, i'm not afraid of much, but every time one formed up i started getting upset. i would be shaking for days before a big one was going to hit. andrew did that to me. made me fearful and paranoid.

yes! that's 90% of why i came north.

of course i'll get nor-easters (see "the perfect storm") but i won't be scared out of my wits!

Sinister Wrote:
I sometimes wonder what is worse a good nor'easter or a hurricane. Both will knock out power and either keep you away from home or keep you stuck at home.
Sinister Wrote:

Well, Sinister she still has a ton of those cold as a witches tit Nor'easters to sit through yet. Also the north east is not protected against hurricanes. Gloria hit NYC when I lived there and it was not fun to be stuck on an island there either!

Hurricane season stops Dec 1 around here and then those lovely cold storms that can be close to hurricane strength come in for the winter till May.

I was busy relocating horses lost in Andrew that wound up homeless.

The Army Corps of Engineers said those levees are not going to hold. They still have two full years plus of building to do there yet. They didn't have enough time between massive storms to rebuild fully!
i'm sure you recall Ant, all the animals that escaped the miami zoo also! it was crazy. like wild kingdom!

Yeah but I only met people as far as Maryland to transfer horses to foster them here till we found homes/owners.

The zoo fiasco was just that.... crazy shit.

I was really happy to see the ASPCA out there taking animals for people. That was one of the biggest problems with Katrina. No one wanted to leave pets behind so they stayed.
Never again will people be forced to leave their pets behind...Its called Pets Evacuations and Transportation Standards Act...Cities must comply or they will lose funds...Every single time they prepare for a disaster pets & other service animals must be given consideration, its the law now.
The one & only good thing to come out of Katrina, I neglected to add...