Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
so Sally...
is it cold down there in the tropics? 39
i understand this is a record hard freeze all over the country, but it's particularly tough on the citrus and strawberry crops in florida. i used to look forward to a couple months of chilly weather, relief from the hell-like blast furnace temps the rest of the year ::demon::. how are you faring?
my son went to florida last week, he should have saved his money and stayed here in the frozen tundra! he was colder than a polar bear eating a snow cone in a blizzard. ::lol::

(01-06-2010, 05:50 PM)jackboots Wrote: is it cold down there in the tropics? 39
i understand this is a record hard freeze all over the country, but it's particularly tough on the citrus and strawberry crops in florida. i used to look forward to a couple months of chilly weather, relief from the hell-like blast furnace temps the rest of the year ::demon::. how are you faring?
my son went to florida last week, he should have saved his money and stayed here in the frozen tundra! he was colder than a polar bear eating a snow cone in a blizzard. ::lol::

Yeah, I spoke to someone in FL just a couple of days ago, and they were complaining about the 'arctic' weather.

It was 40 degrees. 113
i read they've had hard freeze all the way down into the everglades. poor alligators must be freezing their beautiful handbag, boots and luggage skins off. Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

40 degrees sounds like a tropical paradise to me right about now.
We just got back from North Carolina and it feels just as cold here, especially on the beachside with the wind. We built this house six years ago and I've never once turned on the heat, I tried to put it on this morning just to warm the house up a little and I couldn't figure out how to turn the damn thing on. I still like it better than the heat and humidity though and the best part is that my hair doesn't frizz.
Us poor suckers in the UK are in the middle of a deep freeze at the moment, 3-6" of snow and down to -14 in the Highlands (-5 where I am),
the end of the world is nigh.
(01-06-2010, 06:55 PM)Jurassic Wrote: Us poor suckers in the UK are in the middle of a deep freeze at the moment, 3-6" of snow and down to -14 in the Highlands (-5 where I am),
the end of the world is nigh.
but i'll bet it's beautiful there! i saw some nice pics on BBC Scotland. Smiley_emoticons_wink

(01-06-2010, 06:46 PM)sally Wrote: We just got back from North Carolina and it feels just as cold here, especially on the beachside with the wind. We built this house six years ago and I've never once turned on the heat, I tried to put it on this morning just to warm the house up a little and I couldn't figure out how to turn the damn thing on. I still like it better than the heat and humidity though and the best part is that my hair doesn't frizz.

Lucky you.

The dry heat is making my hair look like a haystack. :'(
It was 38 today and I thought it felt down right balmy.
(01-06-2010, 07:47 PM)LuMPyPussy Wrote: It was 38 today and I thought it felt down right balmy.

Much like our newb area, it would be great if we could get out of the teens for a while.

Uh, in the upper direction, not the lower. Smiley_emoticons_slash
Like Jurassic said it's cold as fuck here, 3" of snow that just freezes and never thaws.

The wife is having to do more shouting at people than usual where she works, staff pulling sickies and the general public mewling around like frozen sheep. All the schools are closed around here which has really upset my daughter......not.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
One of the guys who works for us told me that the weather channel said we may see some snow flurries tonight, but you can't believe anything that bullshitting asshole says.
watch for falling iguanas Sally! :o

Cold Iguanas Free-Fall From Trees
Iguanas Go Into Hibernation State In Cold Weather

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. -- Record lows across South Florida are literally freezing the invasive iguana in its tracks.

Kamikaze iguanas, plummeting from their treetop perches, have long been a Floridian urban legend. On Wednesday morning, Local 10 caught the free-falling lizard on tape.

Scientists said these seemingly suicidal lizards are a result of South Florida's record cold weather. Iguanas prefer temperatures in the 80s and 90s. With Wednesday morning's temperatures at around 35 degrees, a handful of lifeless lizards hung from branches and fell to the ground.

While these iguanas appeared dead, experts said they are not. When temperatures drop below 40 degrees, iguanas go into a type of hibernation in which their bodies essentially turn off, only allowing the heart to pump blood. When the temperature rises above 40 degrees again, the iguanas are revived.

"It's almost like they go totally to sleep. Generally speaking, if it warms up afterwards, they can recover," said Ron Magill of Miami Metrozoo.

According to Magill, the nonnative lizard was first introduced to Florida by careless pet owners and has become one of the state's most invasive species. While Florida has similar weather to the iguanas' native home of South America, it is clearly not identical.

Magill expects most of the iguanas to survive. While the lizards' comatose state provides a perfect opportunity to reign in the invasive species, Magill had a warning.

"I knew of a gentleman who was collecting them off the street and throwing them in the back of his station wagon, and all of a sudden these things are coming alive, crawling on his back and almost caused a wreck," Magill said.

Its.......Its........g-g-global c-c-cooling I tell ya!
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(01-07-2010, 05:44 PM)jackboots Wrote: "I knew of a gentleman who was collecting them off the street and throwing them in the back of his station wagon, and all of a sudden these things are coming alive, crawling on his back and almost caused a wreck," Magill said.

What a tard, lol.
Commando Cunt Queen
I fiinally found my AC and heater manual that's fucking thicker than the Gideons bible. I figured out how to turn on the heat and all my smoke detectors started going off and the whole house started smelling like burnt pasta so I turned it off. WTF, I'm fucking freezing in here.
(01-07-2010, 07:34 PM)sally Wrote: I fiinally found my AC and heater manual that's fucking thicker than the Gideons bible. I figured out how to turn on the heat and all my smoke detectors started going off and the whole house started smelling like burnt pasta so I turned it off. WTF, I'm fucking freezing in here.

Do you have a boiler or forced hot air? If it is FHA it is probably the heat exchanger burning off the dust and crap that the system collected as you were using the AC. Open the windows and turn it on for awhile. Do you have co2 detectors in the house? When was it last cleaned?
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(01-07-2010, 07:45 PM)Maggot Wrote:
(01-07-2010, 07:34 PM)sally Wrote: I fiinally found my AC and heater manual that's fucking thicker than the Gideons bible. I figured out how to turn on the heat and all my smoke detectors started going off and the whole house started smelling like burnt pasta so I turned it off. WTF, I'm fucking freezing in here.

Do you have a boiler or forced hot air? If it is FHA it is probably the heat exchanger burning off the dust and crap that the system collected as you were using the AC. Open the windows and turn it on for awhile. Do you have co2 detectors in the house? When was it last cleaned?

It's a FHA and my husbands suggestion was to turn it off because it smells like shit and it's not cold in here anyway. I really fucking hate him sometimes.
(01-07-2010, 05:44 PM)jackboots Wrote: While these iguanas appeared dead, experts said they are not.

I'd say she's being a little bit optimistic considering how far some of them must be falling. Many of them will probably die from internal injuries if nothing else... although I suppose that could be a good thing? Sounds like they need to get rid of some Iggys.

Quote:"I knew of a gentleman who was collecting them off the street and throwing them in the back of his station wagon, and all of a sudden these things are coming alive, crawling on his back and almost caused a wreck," Magill said.

only in florida could a coroner rule cause of death: fatal trauma to cranium by frozen reptile falling from tree. god i miss it. Smiley_emoticons_biggrin 28