Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
STAMPS
Oi...where are my English friends? i need these new Wallace and Gromit Christmas stamps hah i'll send you any currency you like! they are priceless, i must have a sheet~ maybe the Royal Mail sells them online, i've never purchased international postage before. i don't collect, but who doesn't love Wallace and Gromit?

for sale Nov. 2.

[Image: mail.jpg]

[Image: grom6_0.jpg]

[Image: grom5_0.jpg]

[Image: grom4_0.jpg]

[Image: grom3_0.jpg]

[Image: grom7_1.jpg]

here are 2 new USA holiday stamps~~

Angel with Lute
This stamp features a detail of a fragment of a circa–1480 fresco by Melozzo da Forli (1438–1494). Clad in red and green, an angel with a halo strums a lute and glances downward toward the left. The original fresco fragment, now in Room IV of the Vatican Pinacoteca (art museum), measures approximately 37 inches by 46 inches.

Decorating with evergreens during the winter holiday season is a popular and appealing tradition. In 2010, the U.S. Postal Service® joined in the winter celebrations by issuing Holiday Evergreens, beautiful new stamps that feature closeup views of the foliage and cones of four different conifers: ponderosa pine, eastern red cedar, blue spruce and balsam fir.

The artist, the late Ned Seidler, was a gifted painter of nature subjects. When painting flora, he frequently used cuttings from plants and trees in his own yard as reference. He may have taken the same approach in working on this project.

click to enlarge

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

i just ordered my Wallace and Gromit set from the Royal Mail, and an extra for a gift. Mini xmas tree
any collector would love them~

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm

OPIE! did you see these new from Royal Mail? they sent me a brochure~~and i thought of you! hah

[Image: gb20110302.jpg]

collectors may want these~

With this 2011 issuance, the U.S. Postal Service begins a series commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, joining others across the country in paying tribute to the American experience during the tumultuous years from 1861 to 1865.

A souvenir sheet with two stamp designs will be issued each year through 2015. For 2011, one stamp depicts the beginning of the war in April 1861 at Fort Sumter, South Carolina, while the other depicts the first major battle of the war three months later at Bull Run, near Manassas, Virginia.

Art Director Phil Jordan created the stamps using existing images of Civil War battles. The Fort Sumter stamp is a reproduction of a Currier & Ives lithograph, circa 1861, titled "Bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbor." The Bull Run stamp is a reproduction of a 1964 painting by Sidney E. King titled "The Capture of Rickett’s Battery." The painting depicts fierce fighting on Henry Hill over an important Union battery during the Battle of First Bull Run.

The stamp pane’s background photograph shows a Union regiment assembled near Falls Church, Virginia circa 1861.

and these are new also~

On May 4, 2011, in Kennedy Space Center, Florida, the Postal Service™ issued a Mercury Project/MESSENGER Mission se-tenant pair commemorative stamp (Forever® priced at 44 cents), in two designs in a pressure-sensitive adhesive (PSA) pane of 20 stamps.

One stamp commemorates the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's (NASA) Project Mercury, America's first manned spaceflight program, and NASA astronaut Alan Shepard's historic flight on May 5, 1961, aboard the spacecraft Freedom 7.

The other stamp draws attention to NASA's unmanned MESSENGER mission, a scientific investigation of the planet Mercury. On March 17, 2011, MESSENGER became the first spacecraft to enter into orbit around Mercury.

These two historic missions—Shepard's Mercury flight and MESSENGER's orbit of Mercury—frame a remarkable fifty-year period in which America has advanced space exploration through more than 1,500 manned and unmanned flights.

The Mercury Project stamp depicts Alan Shepard, the Mercury capsule Freedom 7, and the Redstone launching rocket. The MESSENGER Mission stamp depicts the MESSENGER spacecraft in orbit around the planet Mercury.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Snail mail is about to get a little more expensive.

The price of a first class stamp is going up by one cent starting next year, the United States Postal Service said Tuesday.

Forever stamps -- also called first class stamps -- will now cost 45 cents, a one cent bump. The change will go into effect Jan. 22.

https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...ogId=10001

(10-19-2011, 08:58 AM)Lady Cop Wrote: Forever stamps -- also called first class stamps -- will now cost 45 cents, a one cent bump.

This is complete bullshit. When they came out with Forever stamps I was told that they were exactly that..forever...so, I purchase them by the hundreds because no matter what I can still use them without adding 1 or 2 cent stamps. I hate the fuckin' post office.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
your forever stamps will still be good as is Duchess. Smiley_emoticons_smile

here are the new Christmas stamps from The Royal Mail

sorry, vanished.

[Image: m516222_large.jpg]

[Image: m516408_large.jpg]

Christmas 2011 Stamps Set
The seven Christmas 2011 stamps each feature an image inspired by the accounts of the Nativity in the Gospels of Luke and Matthew.

(11-08-2011, 08:41 AM)Lady Cop Wrote: your forever stamps will still be good as is Duchess. Smiley_emoticons_smile

I realize that now. I bought two hundred dollars worth shortly after you first posted that. I rarely use stamps in my personal life but I use a shit ton of them for work.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
these are for Dickie, so he can send me a valentine. hahaha

With this New Mexico Statehood (Forever®) stamp, the U.S. Postal Service honors the 100 years that have passed since January 6, 1912, when New Mexico became the 47th state in the Union. Today, New Mexico is the fifth-largest state in the U.S., known for its rich history, vibrant cultures, and stunning geographic diversity.

The stamp art shows a landscape in northern New Mexico, about 65 miles northwest of Albuquerque. In this sweeping view of the high desert, junipers and piñon pines grow in the foreground. In the middle distance, the Rio Puerco courses through an arroyo, while in the background, two peaks known as Cerro de Santa Clara and Cerro de Guadalupe are silhouetted against a vast sky.

When Spanish missionaries arrived in present-day New Mexico in the 1500s, they found a region already settled by Pueblo and Navajo people. The flags of both Spain and Mexico flew over the land before it became American soil. In 1848, northern New Mexico was ceded to the U.S. at the end of the U.S.-Mexican War. Two years later, Congress established the New Mexico Territory. English-speaking cattle ranchers, cowboys, and miners mingled with the earlier Native American and Hispanic residents to create the unique cultural diversity that characterizes New Mexico today. Even after it became a state in 1912, New Mexico retained much of its frontier and Old Mexico flavor, and Spanish and English are both widely spoken.

A resident of New Mexico for more than 35 years, artist Doug West is best known for his southwestern landscapes and skies. Art director Richard Sheaff selected one of West's existing oil paintings for the stamp art.

New Mexico Statehood is being issued as a Forever stamp. Forever stamps are always equal in value to the current First-Class Mail one-ounce rate.

Made in the USA.

[Image: 468140-01-main-900x695.jpg]

[Image: article-0-11BFCF37000005DC-496_312x360.jpg]

The Penny Black was voted the worlds favorite stamp by collectors. The famous postage stamp celebrates its 172nd anniversary on May 6 this year

[Image: article-0-11BEEB95000005DC-449_640x360.jpg]

The extremely rare used penny red stamp (left) from 'plate 77' compared with a regular four penny red (right). The stamp is expected to fetch over half a million pounds

The plate 77 Penny Red has been dubbed the ‘Holy Grail of philately’ and is one of just nine examples of the stamp ever recorded.

Although millions of Penny Reds were printed between 1841 and 1879, a number of plates were never used due to technical faults.

Flaws in plate number 77 meant the stamp’s perforations were lined up incorrectly, so all of the test sheets were destroyed.

But at least one sheet was released into circulation by mistake - making the 77 every stamp collector’s dream.

Dealer Stanley Gibbons heralds it as the 'most valuable single stamp' the company has ever had for sale in their 156 year history, with a value of around £550,000.

WORLD'S MOST EXPENSIVE STAMPS

In 2010, the Treskilling Yellow made the record for the most expensive stamp ever sold. It was thought the Swedish rectangular treasure went for £1.6million, though it has never been confirmed.

The world's most valuable object by weight, the first owner is said to have been a Swedish schoolboy, who found it in 1885 among a pile of letters left by his grandparents.

The Treskilling Yellow is 'one of about a half dozen highly notorious stamps in the world,' according to noted U.S. stamp expert Robert Odenweller.

Others include the 1856 British Guiana 1 cent Magenta which has been locked away in a vault since 1980 when it was bought for nearly one million US dollars by chemicals fortune heir John du Pont.

Another is the 2 Penny Post Office Mauritius Blue that sold for £970,000 in 1993.

some new stamps. i really like the Amish buggy/Lancaster County one.

[Image: 468240-01-main-900x695.jpg]

cherry blossom time

[Image: 688040-01-main-900x695.jpg]

bonsai

[Image: 575540-01-main-900x695.jpg]

"Lancaster County, Pennsylvania", is being issued as an international rate stamp and is part of the Scenic American Landscapes series. This is a First-Class Mail one-ounce rate for international mail to countries other than Mexico and Canada.

[Image: 115240-01-main-900x695.jpg]

Birds of Prey 85¢

[Image: 789040-01-main-900x695.jpg]

weathervanes

[Image: 115340-01-main-695x900.jpg]

Dogs at Work 65¢

i'll be getting a set of these from the Royal Mail~

[Image: article-2125475-12770658000005DC-486_642x701.jpg]

[Image: article-2125475-00784D1700000258-755_638x403.jpg]

A collection of stamps marking the 100th anniversary of the Titanic disaster will be launched on April 10 - a century after the doomed ship set sail from Southampton on its maiden voyage.

The 10 first class stamps feature the story of the ill-fated cruise liner from its construction to the tragedy.

The stamps include photos of the Titanic being built at the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, it's launch in Southampton and a New York Times report the day after it sank.

[Image: AV016large.jpg]

Commemorative Sheet: Titanic
Issue Date: 10th April 2012
Catalogue code: AV016

The history of the Titanic and Royal Mail are closely interlinked, as the ship was commissioned to carry mail and so the letters RMS (Royal Mail Ship) were used in the ship’s name. On 10 April 1912, when the grand new White Star Line liner set sail from Southampton on its maiden voyage to New York with 2,223 people on board, travelling among them were two British postal workers together with three counterparts from the US Postal Service. There is evidence that they valiantly tried to save the mail when the Titanic collided with an iceberg four days later, but all five individuals were among the 1,522 people who perished when she sank. The Commemorative Sheet carries ten first-class stamps, each with the ‘crown seal’ Smiler® stamp and a label alongside featuring a variety of images of the Titanic story, such as her construction in the dockyards, the launch, the crew, White Star Line publicity, a The New York Times headline and the public enquiry that followed the disaster. The sheet background shows the White Star Line emblem at the top and a Titanic picture below the stamps.

£13.95 (incl VAT)

[Image: 577040-01-main-900x695.jpg]

The Civil War: 1862 (Forever®) postage stamps depict two pivotal Civil War battles from 1862; the Battle of New Orleans and the Battle of Antietam. In 2011, the U.S. Postal Service launched a stamp series to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, which engulfed the nation from 1861 to 1865. A souvenir sheet of two stamp designs is being issued through 2015 for each year of the war. Art director Phil Jordan created the stamps using iconic images of Civil War battles.

These self-adhesive stamps are being issued in sheets of 12.

The capture of New Orleans was a major victory for the Union. It placed the Confederacy’s most vital port in Union hands — affecting southern trade, finance, and shipbuilding. The Battle of New Orleans stamp is a reproduction of an 1862 colored lithograph by Currier & Ives titled “The Splendid Naval Triumph on the Mississippi, April 24th, 1862.”

Antietam was one of the most important military operations of the Civil War. Aside from forestalling foreign recognition of the Confederate states, the battle gave a tremendous boost to Northern morale. Antietam also emboldened Lincoln to issue the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation, announcing his decision to free the slaves in areas of rebellion. The Battle of Antietam stamp is a reproduction of an 1887 painting by Thure de Thulstrup. The painting was one of a series of popular prints commissioned in the 1880s by Boston publisher Louis Prang & Co. to commemorate the Civil War.

The souvenir stamp sheet includes comments on the war by David G. Farragut, James C. Steele, Walt Whitman, and the New York Times. It also includes some of Charles Carroll Sawyer’s lyrics from the popular 1862 song “Weeping, Sad and Lonely,” which is also known as “When This Cruel War Is Over” (music composed by Henry Tucker).

The Battle of New Orleans and the Battle of Antietam Forever stamps are issued on sheets of 12. Forever stamps are always equal in value to the current First-Class Mail one-ounce rate.

oh boy, oh boy oh boy!! Bass Ass GrinSmiley_emoticons_hurra3

now if they'd only do a set of A Christmas Carol! Mini xmas tree

Royal Mail
Charles Dickens Mint Stamps set
Issue Date: 19th June 2012
Catalogue code: AS819

Mutual friends

The Mint Stamps feature Mr. Bumble, Mr. Pickwick, The Marchioness, Mrs. Gamp, Captain Cuttle and Mr. Micawber; drawn in around 1890 by the artist Joseph Clayton Clark, also known as Kyd.

Acknowledgements

Mr Bumble, Mr Pickwick, The Marchioness, Mrs Gamp, Captain Cuttle and Mr Micawber illustrations from Character Sketches from Charles Dickens, c.1890 (colour litho), Joseph Clayton Clarke (Kyd) (fl. 1883–94)/ Private Collection/© Look and Learn/The Bridgeman Art Library.

Released on 19th June

[Image: AS819large.jpg]

under sail tomorrow! a rare event~~
it will sail on the open seas for a 10-minute cruise to mark the battle against the British that won the ship its nickname.

[Image: boat2_620x350.jpg]

---------------------

[Image: 468540-01-main-900x695.jpg]

The War of 1812: USS Constitution (Forever®) issuance by the U.S. Postal Service in 2012 begins a series commemorating the bicentennial of the War of 1812, a two-and-a-half year conflict with Great Britain that many Americans viewed as the nation's “Second War of Independence.” The War of 1812, sometimes called “the forgotten conflict,” was a two-and-a-half year confrontation with Great Britain that brought the United States to the verge of bankruptcy and disunion. With this stamp, the Postal Service begins a series commemorating the bicentennial of a war that ultimately helped forge our national identity and gave us our national anthem, “The Star-Spangled Banner.”

The United States declared war on Great Britain on June 18, 1812. In his war message to Congress, Madison charged the British with violating the nation's sovereignty by restricting American trade with Europe and by removing seamen from American merchant ships and making them serve in the Royal Navy.

The War of 1812 was also fueled by a desire among frontier settlers to force the British out of Canada and end their support of Indians in the Old Northwest. Many Americans, including expansionist “War Hawks” in Congress, alleged that the British supplied arms to Indians and incited them to raid settlements on the frontier.

For the design of the first stamp in the series, the Postal Service selected the oldest known painting of the famed USS Constitution by Michele Felice Cornè, circa 1803. Constitution acquired the nickname “Old Ironsides” during a victorious battle with HMS Guerriere in August 1812, two months into the war. It scored another victory in December over HMS Java. Such stunning successes against the world's mightiest navy helped sustain American morale during a time the U.S. Army was suffering major setbacks.

Art director Greg Breeding evokes the times by using the color and texture of a contemporary map of the war for the stamp pane's background.

The War of 1812: USS Constitution stamp is being issued as a Forever® stamp in self-adhesive sheets of 20. Forever stamps are always equal in value to the current First-Class Mail one-ounce rate.

Made in the USA.

Issue Date: August 18, 2012

BOSTON — The U.S. Postal Service has introduced a stamp commemorating the world’s oldest commissioned warship that’s still afloat.

On Saturday morning, postal officials unveiled the USS Constitution forever stamp at the Charlestown Navy Yard in Boston.

The stamp is the first in what officials say will be a stamp series commemorating the bicentennial of the War of 1812.

Nicknamed "Old Ironsides," the ship was first launched in 1797.

On Sunday, the ship will be tugged from its Boston Harbor berth.

Then it will sail on the open seas for a 10-minute cruise to mark the battle against the British that won the ship its nickname.

The stamp image is based on a painting that Michele Felice Corne did of the vessel around 1803.

(08-18-2012, 11:42 AM)JsMom Wrote: hah I thought this was going to be a thread about food stamps. I came in here to see what Clang had to say. 50

Smiley_emoticons_razz

These stamps are really nice. I know we have coin collectors at Mock, are there any stamp collectors? I'm not one, but always thought it would be kinda fun.
re: post 17 ^

UNDER HER OWN POWER YESTERDAY~~

[Image: article-2190657-149D92D3000005DC-513_634x422.jpg]

[Image: article-2190657-149DB5C9000005DC-927_634x423.jpg]

[Image: article-2190657-149D93E3000005DC-953_634x426.jpg]

[Image: article-2190657-149D998D000005DC-555_634x422.jpg]

The USS Constitution, which was first launched in 1797, was tugged from its berth in Boston Harbor on Sunday to the main deepwater pathway into the harbor. It then set out to open seas for a 10-minute cruise. The short trip marked the day two centuries ago when the Constitution bested the British frigate HMS Guerriere in a fierce battle during the War of 1812.

some cool new things from Royal Mail. lots more at shop:

http://shop.royalmail.com/
-------------------------

British farm animals

[Image: ZS005large.jpg]

[Image: ZS017large.jpg]

[Image: ZS006large.jpg]

------------------------------------

The House of Stewart Stamp Set

[Image: HouseofStewart_stampset_large.jpg]

The House of Tudor Stamp Set

[Image: Tudor_StampSet_large.jpg]