Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you like your religion? What are you?
I admire Tibetian Buddhism and parts of Zen Buddhism, but I don't claim to be either because I have an issue with "right speech". While many claim Buddhism isn't a religion, it is instead a philosophy, I don't want to split that hair. Doesn't matter.

One of my most-viewed and appreciated websites is zenhabits.net (Don't look at it today, he is advertising his book, but it's usually very cool. Click on archives if you do visit.) I thnk Americans have too much and are too spoiled and too stimulated. I am in the process of giving away half of everything I own (then I'll do it one more time after that). I have too much stuff. I just purchased very nice modern furniture that I have in storage until I have purged every closet, cupboard, and drawer in my home. I plan on keeping every single flat surface bare (except for a few photos and 2 or 3 things I cannot live without.)

I feel the need to live a simpler life and spend money on travel instead of possessions. I want to become less of a consumer.

Do you claim a religion or philosophy? Do you like it? Why?
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
Atheist
Fug duh kund

I'm Catholic & educated by nuns. I don't give any thought to liking it or disliking it, it just is. I'm also seriously materialistic, I like all my things & I like accumulating it all, my stuff makes me happy. If I had to give away half my possessions & then half again, I'd probably have a nervous breakdown.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I'm agnostic and I couldn't afford to give away half of my things because I already have a minimalist home. Clutter and knick knacks stress me out.
I'm a nudist I tried spreading it among the masses but got arrested. My Goddess is mother nature. Only she understands and the midget in the first row.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(10-22-2010, 09:56 AM)Maggot Wrote: I'm a nudist I tried spreading it among the masses but got arrested. My Goddess is mother nature. Only she understands and the midget in the first row.

hah
86 112
(10-21-2010, 10:07 PM)Cracker Wrote: I admire Tibetian Buddhism and parts of Zen Buddhism, but I don't claim to be either because I have an issue with "right speech". While many claim Buddhism isn't a religion, it is instead a philosophy, I don't want to split that hair. Doesn't matter.

One of my most-viewed and appreciated websites is zenhabits.net (Don't look at it today, he is advertising his book, but it's usually very cool. Click on archives if you do visit.) I thnk Americans have too much and are too spoiled and too stimulated. I am in the process of giving away half of everything I own (then I'll do it one more time after that). I have too much stuff. I just purchased very nice modern furniture that I have in storage until I have purged every closet, cupboard, and drawer in my home. I plan on keeping every single flat surface bare (except for a few photos and 2 or 3 things I cannot live without.)

I feel the need to live a simpler life and spend money on travel instead of possessions. I want to become less of a consumer.

Do you claim a religion or philosophy? Do you like it? Why?

You sound like an emotional pseudo-religious wreck, you wannabe anti-clutter Buddhist fuck.
86 112
(10-21-2010, 10:07 PM)Cracker Wrote: Do you claim a religion or philosophy? Do you like it? Why?

Episcopalian . . . AKA “Catholic Lite” – Same pomp and circumstance; one-third less guilt, 97 percent less sodomy of altar boys, women can be priests, clergy can divorce and remarry and they have no problem with gay and lesbian lifestyles. C of E on the American shores! Again . . . born and raised.

I no longer subscribe to this or other “organized” religions. A choice not due to particular dogma or ideology, but due to the fact “Religion” DEMANDS MONEY FROM THE FAITHFUL! Faith and spirituality do not.

“Pay to Pray” clubs don’t want me as a member. Besides, there’s already enough “piss” in Episcopalian.
I was raised Lutheran which I would characterize as Episcopalian lite. Lutherans believe that whenever you ask for forgiveness, it is given. I like that!

But I don't practice any organized religion now. I went through a brief phase (6 months or so) of being "born again" (this was 15-20 years ago). They lost me one night at the demon casting session. I took my sister to a service once and she thought it was so cute everyone was talking in Spanish. Umm, they were talking in tongues.

Now, I have my own kind of spiritual beliefs but I haven't found (or created) a church yet that reflects my beliefs.

I like the idea of getting rid of crap and simplifying but somehow, everytime I purge I seem to attract MORE bric a brac stuff (like that glass fish that someone gave my husband for his birthday). It's scary how it multiplies.
Commando Cunt Queen
I'm surprised more Mockers aren't Southern Baptist Convention. Some of the meanest people I know are Southern Baptists.

I think I fell out of love with my stuff when I decided I wanted to move to the beach. The thought of packing and toting (haha total Southern word) all of my belongings with me just seems pointless. I find the Pareto principal applied to belongings to be true ~ we only use 20% or our stuff 80% of the time. If I am holding on to things I don't need, does somebody else not have it that needs it? The more I own, the more I have to maintain. Do I really like all my stuff enough to maintain it for eternity? I really don't.

Duchess probably plans on never moving again for the rest of her life. She doesn't have to pack it and move it and unpack it.

I want to be a minimalist like sally. I was reading about a guy who picked 100 things to own total. He did just fine. How many thousands of things do you own?

It seems like Catholics from childhood hold on to their religion the longest. I wonder if that is the coolest religion. I would likely pick Episcopalian because I heard they have a holiday after Christmas where they drink and burn the tree. I would like to see elderly people in church garb do that.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
I lean toward Buddhism, polytheism, atheism, and confucianism with just the tiniest touch of southern baptist or maybe inquisitional Catholic. Also there's a bit of Druid and some Wicca in me. Any more the apparent ancient Egyptian view of the world appeals to me quite a bit. It appears that their Gods were the "ntr's" or the natures. Each of their Gods was an aspect of nature and they "worshipped" them as such. It appears it might not have even been that formal since there were far more splitters than a Monty Python flick. Each city had different Gods. It appears there were advantages like being able to hold more knowledge of wider diversity in mind at the same time. It gave them abilities to puzzle things out.

It's obvious the Gods are not to be trifled with no matter how many there are even if there are none at all. Can there be a negative number of Gods? We only live so long as we are remembered and then only our work might live. The Gods can most assuredly destroy you after you shuffle off the mortal coil and there's no reason to risk divine wrath while we're not yet ready to shuffle.

It looks like all the major western religions come straight from Egypt and none appeal to me in the least. Of course someone said religion is the business of faith and I'm just not in the market. I better shut up before I give some New York banker the idea of selling derivitives on God.
I am a lapsed Catholic..who now trys to follow Christian faith. Not working well..and usually I do not like it much. I just like butting heads with the ultra conservatives there.
(10-23-2010, 01:18 PM)QueenBee Wrote: I am a lapsed Catholic..who now trys to follow Christian faith. Not working well..and usually I do not like it much. I just like butting heads with the ultra conservatives there.

Why not just work on being a good person and stop trying to pretend God issued a particular book for fuck's sake.
86 112
(10-23-2010, 01:18 PM)QueenBee Wrote: I am a lapsed Catholic..who now trys to follow Christian faith. Not working well..and usually I do not like it much. I just like butting heads with the ultra conservatives there.

I don't understand that logic, but if it keeps you from buring in hell for eternity then so be it.

(10-23-2010, 08:02 PM)Middle Finger Wrote: Why not just work on being a good person and stop trying to pretend God issued a particular book for fuck's sake.

Are you seriously not Catholic? I know I am making a moderately racist assumption linking your personal skin oil production and garlic intake to your faith, but don't you kinda HAVE to be Catholic? If you are Greek Orthodox, please do excuse my ignorance. I can't tell olive-skinned peoples apart.

I have a first edition Bible signed by God.
(10-23-2010, 08:49 PM)Cracker Wrote:
(10-23-2010, 08:02 PM)Middle Finger Wrote: Why not just work on being a good person and stop trying to pretend God issued a particular book for fuck's sake.

Are you seriously not Catholic? I know I am making a moderately racist assumption linking your personal skin oil production and garlic intake to your faith, but don't you kinda HAVE to be Catholic? If you are Greek Orthodox, please do excuse my ignorance. I can't tell olive-skinned peoples apart.

I have a first edition Bible signed by God.

He goes to Sunday mass with his hairy wife and their offspring, but he only does it for the buffet afterwards and to please his dear old mother. I think he metioned something about getting a blowjob out of it too.

Dear God. That isn't right.

I'm telling his mom he said the Bible wasn't the Word of God.
Thats OK Polly still wants you. 11
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Hmmm, Cracker=wafer=the Body of Christ. Whoa.
Commando Cunt Queen
I got a new one for you too.

God will come into existence in the next couple years (2012 maybe) when the internet suddenly becomes sentient. It will be none too smart right off but will reorganize itself in nanoseconds to become God. To assure His own existence He has to create big bang and man to invent the computer.