Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
sometimes~~there is justice
we don't have the death penalty in Mass. but on occasion there is a just outcome in our courts.
these guys have many years ahead of them with no freedom.
no good food, no holidays, no sky and stars and love of a woman, nothing. which is what they deserve.
my heart goes out to the mother of the victim. a kid who volunteered for meals on wheels. who was not a gangbanger or thug. who might have had a future.
fuck these 2 guys. may they rot in the walpole max end hellhole. just cold hard steel for comfort.

Boston Herald

Gangbanger associates of two killers lashed out in court yesterday, shouting, “It ain’t over!” after their thug pals were sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the murder of an 18-year-old honors college student.

The outburst prompted outrage and anguish from victim Cedirick Steele’s family and community leaders.

Law enforcement needs to take swift action to make it “unmistakably clear that such threats will not be tolerated under any circumstance and could be the basis for an arrest,” said the Rev. Eugene Rivers, co-founder of the Boston Ten Point Coalition, a nonprofit that promotes anti-violence.

Barring an arrest, he added, police should pay a visit to the men’s homes. “There should be a firm come-to-Jesus meeting,” he said.

Judge Linda Giles had left the bench after the sentencing and did not hear the comment, said Supreme Judicial Court spokeswoman Joan Kenney. A court officer discussed the incident with the judge, but they concluded it did not warrant an arrest, which could have been made if the officer perceived direct threats or imminent danger.

Jake Wark, spokesman for Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley, said the men who shouted “It ain’t over!” were “clearly affiliated with the defendants, who are members of the Mass. Ave. Hornets.” But he said the remark “does not meet the legal definition of a threat.”

“They’re murderers! They’re murderers!” moaned anguished brother Deshawn Steele as 11 court officers led Daniel “Trap” Pinckney Jr. and Antwan “Twizz” Carter out of Suffolk Superior Court.

“Leave it alone,” a sobbing woman begged Deshawn, her hand over his mouth. “You cannot let them win. We don’t have that evil in us.”

A Bunker Hill student, Cedirick Steele had just finished his Meals On Wheels shift March 14, 2007, when he was randomly gunned down.

A jury found the 22-year-old South End defendants guilty of first-degree murder Wednesday. Two previous juries deadlocked.

At the last trial, a star witness recanted after Carter allegedly plotted to kill her.

At the previous trial, the lone juror holdout was reportedly approached outside the courthouse by a man who made a gunlike motion and said, “Bang.” The juror kept deliberating after insisting the threat was unrelated to the trial.

Yesterday, Pinckney, the Hornets’ reputed leader, arrived in court with rosary beads around his neck. He and Carter sat impassively as mother Natasha Steele described in a near-whisper what it was like to have to content herself with speaking to her son’s grave.

“He wanted to leave Boston. . . . He wanted to be somebody,” she said. “All that was stolen from me.”

By Peter Gelzinis

It may have taken three trials, but in the end justice prevailed over a virulent strain of intimidation that refused to die.

Even as Antwan Carter and Daniel Pinckney Jr., a brazen pair of 22-year-old thugs, were sent off to prison for the rest of their lives yesterday, the chilling words “It ain’t over” reverberated through a packed, emotion-filled courtroom.

But evil did not triumph this time, precisely because good people had the courage to step forward.

On the afternoon of March 14, 2007, when police came upon 18-year-old Cedirick Steele lying in the gutter of a Roxbury street, his life slipping away through gunshot wounds, they had no leads.

“If it wasn’t for the good people who made those first phone calls,” Suffolk DA Dan Conley recalled yesterday afternoon after the sentence came down, “and then had the courage to come forward with a description of a black Pontiac, along with other pieces of information that proved crucial to building this case, maybe Cedirick Steele’s family would still be searching for justice.”

Conley praised what he called “the moral character and courage” of people who could not abide the obscenity of a good kid being gunned down in broad daylight while waiting for his mother to give him a ride.

That steady trickle of information led police to Latoya Thomas-Dickson. She was the ex-girlfriend of Daniel “Trap” Pinckney and was spotted in his Pontiac, on the afternoon he told his Mass. Ave Hornets gang brother “Twizz” Carter to “shoot anyone.”

The role Latoya played in this case was both pivotal and tortured. In a taped phone call from jail, Carter is heard telling one of his friends that Latoya has to be killed “or I’m history.” At the end of the second trial, this 21-year-old woman finally yielded to a stream of death threats directed at herself and her mother by abruptly recanting her testimony and committing perjury.

Like the first trial, which was hung up by a lone juror who authorities believe was threatened on his way home from court, Latoya’s anguished about-face threw the second trial into indecision.

At the third trial, Latoya explained why she chose perjury. It was prompted by a phone call from people who told her they were parked outside the safe house where she’d been moved and were ready to kill her and her mother.

Yesterday Dan Conley spoke of being mesmerized by the torrent of emotion that Natasha Steele let out upon hearing the word “guilty.”

That word, Conley suggested, was the greatest gift a group of courageous strangers could give a heartbroken mother.

photos:
victim Cedirick Steele
mindless killers
the mom
the brother of the victim sobbing in court

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.gif   Justice.gif (Size: 377 bytes / Downloads: 41)

Boston Globe

Cedirick Steele’s somber father sat at a witness stand yesterday morning in Suffolk Superior Court and talked about the good times he had shared with his 18-year-old son. He mentioned their trip to Disney World and to local apple orchards and simply getting out of the city together.

“My main purpose in life was to let him experience all the things I never did,’’ said Kenneth Way.

About 30 feet away, Antwan Carter and Daniel Pinckney Jr. sat stoney-faced. The two 22-year-olds from the South End were convicted of first-degree murder on Wednesday in the fatal shooting of Steele three years ago near the Timilty Middle School in Roxbury. Yesterday, Judge Linda Giles issued their mandatory sentences, life in jail without the possibility of parole.

“I just hope people learn from other people’s lives,’’ Way said. “There’s more to Boston than just these streets. I don’t have closure; I have acceptance. It took 18 years of work to make Cedirick the person he was.

Steele’s mother, Natasha Steele, also made a victim impact statement yesterday, saying: “it hurts me to lose Cedirick so bad, and it’s hurt my family so bad. Cedirick was the light of our family. He had a promising future. He was so talented in everything he did.’’

Steele added: “Wherever he went, he shined. He had a smile so big, and I just miss him. I go to the cemetery and I speak to him. It’s not fair. I miss him so much, and he set a path for his brothers to walk in.’’

Prosecutors said Carter and Pinckney were gang members looking to avenge the shooting of an associate by rival gang members. Steele was not in a gang and detested violence and illegal guns, prosecutors said. He was an honor roll student at Bunker Hill Community College and a volunteer who delivered meals to the elderly.

Steele was making such a delivery on March 14, 2007, when he accidentally locked his keys in his car and had to wait for a relative to pick him up. Carter walked up to him and shot him eight times in the chest, prosecutors said.

LaToya Thomas Dickson, Pinckney’s former girlfriend, initially told police that she was not with Carter and Pinckney when they shot Steele, but later told a grand jury that she was. In the second trial last March, she told a jury that she was in a car with them during the shooting, but halfway through her testimony, she recanted. Her reversal led prosecutors to charge her with perjury, and she pleaded guilty to those charges.

In custody and awaiting sentencing on those charges, Thomas Dickson returned to the witness stand last month and told jurors that she was with the two defendants. She said Carter, after shooting Steele, returned to Pinckney’s parked car and nudged her with the gun, wanting her to take it and walk to her mother’s house. But she refused to take the weapon, she testified.

Yesterday’s sentencing drew emotion from both Steele’s family and the family and friends of the defendants. Several young men sitting with the defendant’s supporters repeatedly said, “It ain’t over,’’ as they left the courtroom.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

They should have been aborted.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Boston Herald

A 21-year-old woman — marked for death before her key testimony led to the murder convictions of two South End gangbangers — was sentenced today to two to three years behind bars herself for perjury in a previous mistrial of the thrill-kill case.

Her prison plight sparked outrage in one Hub street preacher and sympathy from the slain college student’s mother.

The Rev. Eugene Rivers, co-founder of Boston’s TenPoint Coalition, said a harsh sentence for Latoya Thomas-Dickson will send the wrong message to would-be witnesses. Thomas-Dickson broke down in tears today when the sentence was announced. She was quickly taken away to MCI-Framingham.

“That is a moral, legal and political disgrace. She’s facing life for simply being scared in a high-profile murder case? That’s called justice?” he said. “For someone to cooperate (now), they’d have to be completely irrational.”

As she stood before Suffolk Superior Court Judge Carol S. Ball without a plea deal, Thomas-Dickson had an unlikely supporter in her corner: Natasha Steele, the Roxbury mother of slain 18-year-old Bunker Hill Community College student Cedirick Steele.

“I’m not angry with her. I’m grateful. I’m just sorry it took so long for her to get it right,” Steele said. “I just want her to know I’m here . . . It is only right that some time is served . . . My heart goes out to her and her mom, but I still don’t have my son.”

After two mistrials, Thomas-Dickson took the witness stand last month and told jurors she’d previously lied because associates of the accused men had threatened to kill her mother. That death threat came months after prosecutors said one of the jailed gangsters had said of Thomas-Dickson, “If she’s not history, I’m history.”

But that didn’t stop Thomas-Dickson from testifying that her ex-boyfriend, Daniel “Trap’’ Pinckney Jr. and fellow Mass Avenue Hornets gangster Antwan “Twizz” Carter, both 22, randomly executed Steele on a street corner in March 2007.

Thomas-Dickson, a former prostitute, was in the getaway car with the deadly duo and said she refused their attempts to get her to hide the murder weapon.

“Perjury is perjury, but she did a courageous thing for me, stepping up,” Natasha Steele said. “I could see the fear in her eyes and see she wanted to do the right thing.”

Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley’s spokesman Jake Wark declined to say how much prison time prosecutors will push for. (They pushed for three to four years.)

“The truthful testimony she gave in the third trial mitigated some of the harm that was done,” Wark said, “but we have to send a message that lying to a jury is a serious offense and there will be consequences.”

Thomas-Dickson has been in 23-hour lockdown in a house of correction since her guilty plea last month, her attorney said.

Andrew Stockwell-Alpert would like her on probation “just long enough for her to get the hell out of here . . . I’m genuinely scared for her.”

Still, he said, Thomas-Dickson has “no regrets. None. She would do it again. I told her, ‘In the public’s eye, you’re a hero.’’’