Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
florida is full of them
Python kills Sumter
County child
Updated: Wednesday, 01 Jul 2009, 2:29 PM EDT

OXFORD - A 12-foot Burmese python slithered from its pen and killed a toddler in Sumter County this morning, an encounter so unusual that experts figure it is tragic a first for Florida.

According to deputies, Jaren Ashley Hare, 23, and her 2-year-old daughter Shaiunna shared the home on County Road 466 with Jaren's boyfriend, Charles Jason Darnell.

Darnell, 32, told investigators that he put the pet snake in a bag inside its aquarium last night. But when he woke up around 10 this morning, the snake was gone. He rushed to Shaiunna's room and found it was "on" the child.

Investigators said Darnell repeatedly stabbed the six-inch diameter snake to free the child. After knifing the python, he then called 911 for help.

First responders found Shaiunna dead, and said the toddler had been bitten on the head. The girl's body was removed from the home just after noon.

The medical examiner's office will perform an autopsy to determine exactly what killed the child, sheriff's office spokesman Bobby Caruthers said.

Darnell and Hare have been taken to the sheriff's office for questioning.

"They are very distraught," Caruthers said, noting that the two are also "very cooperative" in helping deputies investigate the child's death.

Darnell told deputies that two other children were in the home when the attack occurred. They were unharmed, investigators said.

It is still unclear how the python escaped. Investigators said it had been placed in a bag, which is typical when transporting snakes, and then in an aquarium with a lid.

Caruthers said investigators are now awaiting a search warrant to enter the home, a rental. They hope to retrieve the snake, which was last seen underneath a dresser in the girl's room. It is not clear whether the python is still alive.

Florida Wildlife Commission spokesperson Judy Hill said Darnell did not have a required $100 state permit for the snake, which could lead to a second-degree misdemeanor charge. Florida considers Burmese Pythons a "reptile of concern."

Hill said her department is unaware of a non-venomous snake killing a human in Florida.

"This could be a first for the state," she said.

If the snake is still alive, Hill said it will be seized and taken to a licensed handler until the courts decide what to do with it. If it is dead, the reptile will be held as evidence.

I just don't understand how people can call snakes this big a pet. It's a wild animal and should be living where it belongs, in the country it is indigenous to.

A 6 inch thick snake is huge.
the florida everglades are FULL of huge pythons, dumped there by people who got tired of them. and they are migrating north.

I know. These just should not be kept as pets.

Let them move up this way, they'll all die in the winter.
I thought this thread was about all the assholes in Florida...Fuck
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
[user=20]The Antagonist[/user] wrote:
Quote:I just don't understand how people can call snakes this big a pet. It's a wild animal and should be living where it belongs, in the country it is indigenous to.

A 6 inch thick snake is huge.
So I have personally been told.
The Antagonist Wrote:I know. These just should not be kept as pets.

Let them move up this way, they'll all die in the winter.

i gave them Frank's address. ::dlaugh::

I don't give a crap ... I'll grill almost anything.
86 112
Middle Finger Wrote:I don't give a crap ... I'll grill almost anything.
and put peter lugar sauce on it! ::lmao::

jackboots Wrote:
Middle Finger Wrote:I don't give a crap ... I'll grill almost anything.
and put peter lugar sauce on it! ::lmao::

Yeah, even if some think it is too sweet! ::batguy::

Are these poisonous snakes? If so, I may have another plan for them. There are certain yards I would "accidentally" drop them off at.
86 112
Pythons are not poisonous. They are constrictors. The bites on the baby's head is because the snake probably tried to swallow it after it killed it.
The Blair witch (sinister) has a snake of course, its not a pet, just a pathetic lifestyle status symbol.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
The one she has is a small one and won't grow more than 4' long or so. She has a Ball Python.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_python

This one was a Burmese Python and will grow big enough to kill a human and be able to eat a small child.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burmese_python

I just don't see a snake or other reptiles as pets. Pets interact with you willingly, these are just stuck in a tank to live miserably, confined and they get to eat when you tell them it's ok.

That's no life for a pet.
[Image: 48109793-17035048.jpg]

link:

Open season on Burmese pythons

Jul 16, 2009

When Orlando's Michael Kennedy learned about plans to kill Burmese pythons in the Everglades, the collector of exotic animals said he would be game. Read more...

That makes me kind of sad. Stupid people.
it's not the fault of the snakes of course, but they are a menace to pets and small children. they can reach 20 feet in length. they are in miami and the keys now, and could survive in georgia and the carolinas, as well as louisiana.

the ecology of the everglades has been severely compromised, they eat native species like alligators, birds and deer.

Yeah, I realize that, but this has been happening for centuries and you'd think we would've learned by now.

How's that kudzu working out for everyone?
Ah yeah I remember hearing about this from my Korean friend in Florida.

At first I was like... "hell yeah dude, catch them and sell them to pet stores"

But he replied, "No, I'm planning on eating them."

Koreans ::nuts::

They'll eat anything.
That's a great idea, actually. At least they won't be going to waste, you know what I mean?
LuMPyPussy Wrote:That's a great idea, actually. At least they won't be going to waste, you know what I mean?
And what if I were to tell you that his family eats 'other' pets as well.

Here kitty, kitty.

I forget what he called it, but they call dog, kegogi or something like that.