Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
1 in 7 use food stamps
the Wall Street Journal. interactive map is at this link:

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2011/05/0...od-stamps/

i actually would have thought the numbers of recipients were higher.

WSJ
Growth in the food stamp program appeared to reach a plateau in February — with 14.3% of the population relying on the safety net program.

The number of food stamp recipients was essentially flat in February, the most recent month available, with 44.2 million Americans receiving benefits, according a new report from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

The food stamp program ballooned during the recession as workers lost their jobs or saw their hours and income reduced. The rise in recipients has begun to flatten in recent months, which may mean that as the economy is improving fewer Americans are seeking to join the program. Enrollment in the program is still high though, with 11.6% more people tapping benefits in February than the same month a year earlier.

Food stamp numbers aren’t seasonally adjusted though, meaning a variety of factors could influence the monthly tallies and the program could grow again in coming months.

Mississippi and Oregon were among the states with the largest share of the population utilizing food stamps in February: At least one in five residents in each state were receiving benefits.

Wyoming had the lowest rate of recipients with just 6.6% of the state’s residents using food stamps.

Does one need a physical address, cooking facilities and a frig to receive food stamps?
I'm actually shocked that Wyoming is on the lowest useage per capita. Our rental housing costs are high considering our economy and wages are so terribly low. Of the people that I've recently laid off that went for assistance - the case worker barely gave them 5 minutes and they were denied. This is heresay of course.
(05-04-2011, 02:33 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: Does one need a physical address, cooking facilities and a frig to receive food stamps?

No, one can apply as homeless. And just pick up the ebt card, and all other social service mail, at the social services building.
until very recently this damn moonbat state (Mass.) full of 'save the illegals' idiots driving priuses and wearing birkenstocks, had a debit card from welfare which could be used to buy lottery tix and booze! believe me, the angry villagers (taxpayers) were about with pitchforks until it was changed!

Attached Files
.gif   villagers with pitchforks.gif (Size: 1.95 KB / Downloads: 55)

(05-04-2011, 02:48 PM)HeidiSue Wrote: I'm actually shocked that Wyoming is on the lowest useage per capita. Our rental housing costs are high considering our economy and wages are so terribly low. Of the people that I've recently laid off that went for assistance - the case worker barely gave them 5 minutes and they were denied. This is heresay of course.

I think the only living things in Wyoming are you and a chicken called Keith.

We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.

Doesn't Dick Cheney live there?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Less chance of him shooting someone else accidentally in the face because theres hardly anyone there.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
He has a home in Jackson and it's his "primary" residence but they do not spend much time there. I left Jackson a few years ago though so it may have changed since then.
(05-04-2011, 04:18 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: until very recently this damn moonbat state (Mass.) full of 'save the illegals' idiots driving priuses and wearing birkenstocks, had a debit card from welfare which could be used to buy lottery tix and booze!

They just stopped allowing Rockstar (energy drinks) in CA., effective May 1st. And they just took an 8% decrease in both food and cash aid. We have a welfare to work program though, you only get benefits if you work.
(05-04-2011, 04:56 PM)Adub Wrote: They just stopped allowing Rockstar (energy drinks) in CA., effective May 1st.

On the basis that people on benefits don't need or use as much energy?!

hahSmiley_emoticons_wink
(05-04-2011, 04:22 PM)Ordinary Peephole Wrote: I think the only living things in Wyoming are you and a chicken called Keith.

Not sure how you found out my chicken's name is Keith. Smiley_emoticons_smile
(05-04-2011, 04:56 PM)Adub Wrote:
(05-04-2011, 04:18 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: until very recently this damn moonbat state (Mass.) full of 'save the illegals' idiots driving priuses and wearing birkenstocks, had a debit card from welfare which could be used to buy lottery tix and booze!

They just stopped allowing Rockstar (energy drinks) in CA., effective May 1st. And they just took an 8% decrease in both food and cash aid. We have a welfare to work program though, you only get benefits if you work.

Georgia's criteria: "Any kind of food." WTF? You shouldn't be able to buy junk food with effen food stamps. It should be fresh food only. I noticed a "We take EBT cards" sign at a local pizza restaurant.

71% of households in Georgia receive food stamps.

That is sickening that most people in my state can't fucking feed themselves. Jesus Christ.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
Illegal immigrants are eligible for food stamps. Holy hell.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
Poor people in the UK get vouchers to buy new school uniforms every year. I used to sometimes work in my great aunts kids clothes shop at the weekends when I wasn't at college.

These miscreants would come in and buy like two pairs of socks and a shirt and say "can I have the other vouchers converted to cash please?" and I was like ".....noooooooo these vouchers are redeemable only for items of school uniform".

Buy your kids the clothes they need for school you fucking mong.
Well, I know a few that sell the ebt food part of their card for cash. At usually 50% of the value. It's like "Here go buy a hundred dollars worth of groceries on my card and bring me back $50.

That, along with selling the prescription pain meds they get for free on medical, might just pay the rent. Cash aid does not pay the rent. They have to get industrious.
(05-04-2011, 05:55 PM)Adub Wrote: They have to get industrious.

Work maybe?
Not if they don't have to, geez. Besides, they probably wouldn't pass the urine analysis for most jobs. They would have to stay clean for at least 45 days. And maybe even be hit with random pee drops.
(05-04-2011, 04:23 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Doesn't Dick Cheney live there?

it's where his battery charger is....
Fug duh kund

He's another one I'd like to whale on with my handbag & knock him the fuck out.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]