It's just a cold sore . . . I swear to God!
As if herpes hasn't caused enough problems . . .

Equine Herpes found in AZ

Queen Creek, AZ -- The Town of Queen Creek will be closing Horseshoe Park & Equestrian Centre, including the community arena, from May 17 through June 2 in an effort to proactively prevent the spread of an equine herpes virus that is spreading across the mid and southwestern United States.

Known as EHV-1, this neurological virus is very serious and can be fatal to horses. There is no inoculation for EHV-1, although it may be treated if caught in the early stages.

There have been no reports of infection at Horseshoe Park or within Queen Creek, but the Town is closing the park to protect the community and equine visitors from any potential outbreak of EHV-1. There have been reports of the virus infecting horses in the state of Arizona.

The virus is shed from infected horses via the respiratory tract or through contact with tack, grooming equipment, feed or water buckets that have come into contact with an infected horse. The air around a horse that is shedding the virus can also be contaminated with the virus. Horses may appear to be perfectly healthy yet spread the virus via the secretions from their nostrils.

Because EHV-1 is easily spread through the horse's saliva, many horse show grounds, boarding stables and racetracks are being closed throughout Colorado, Utah, Nevada and Arizona.

Horses with EHV-1 Neurological disease have a weakness and paralysis of the muscles of the hind limbs that causes lack of coordination, gait abnormalities and the inability to stand up from a sitting position. The time between an initial EHV-1 infection of the respiratory tract and the onset of neurological signs is about 8 - 12 days. The neurological symptoms appear suddenly and reach peak intensity within 48 hours.

Horses with symptoms should be isolated and kept 40 feet or more from other horses. Owners should contact their veterinarian.

http://www.santanvalleytoday.com/index.p...op-stories

It is my understanding that at least 4 horses have died in Arizona and every damned horse show is being cancelled, throughout the state.

Forty feet, huh? I wouldn't want any of my horses breathing the same air as a contagious horse. It's good that they've canceled all horse related events.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
one of my sons owns a horse ranch/boarding/riding school/dressage, in Texas. i figure he must have heard of this, but i'm emailing it anyway. thanks Tiki.