Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
NIKE promoting drug use?
Jesus, i hate to agree with "mumbles" Menino. he is such a schmuck usually.
what is your opinion?

Boston Herald
A defiant Hub Niketown refused to remove its controversial window front T-shirt display yesterday despite a plea by Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino to take it down because it appears to promote drug use.

The Herald reported yesterday that Menino fired off a letter to the Newbury Street store this week after he and his wife spotted the T-shirts, which brazenly carry the words “Get High” and “Dope” along with pill bottles and the company’s “Just Do It” mantra.

A pair of shirts also said “F Gravity” with the letters u and c obscured by a graphic.

Yesterday, the T-shirts remained showcased in the Back Bay store’s front window.

The store’s general manager wouldn’t talk to a reporter who showed up at the shop and referred inquiries to the company’s media relations.

Nike spokesman Derek Kent confirmed yesterday that the company has received Menino’s letter but wouldn’t comment beyond its initial statement, which said Nike doesn’t condone the use of banned or illegal substances and the T-shirts are part of an action sports campaign.

“We maintain our position that they’re not appropriate for the city of Boston. They’re not appropriate for anywhere as far as we’re concerned,” said Menino spokeswoman Dot Joyce.

“Nike should be compelled as an athletic apparel manufacturer to promote health and fitness — rather than drug use,” Joyce said yesterday.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think the shirts are cool but I wouldn't wear one in public.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
i don't think DOPE and a pill bottle is cool. i guess i'm old-fashioned. fucking oxy is killing people and people are being killed for it.

I'm not a serious druggie so the "Get High" and "Fuck Gravity" are amusing to me. I wasn't looking at it as promoting drug use, I saw it simply as something that would get a laugh. Like I said, I wouldn't wear it in public and I wouldn't wear it around young people either.

i don't think the mayor should be interfering with a business/free enterprise. and there have always been t-shirts with weed on them. but that one with the pill bottle disturbs me. it makes me think of pharmacy robberies and murders over oxy.
i won't be buying anything from nike again.

I think the dope T-shirt is ironic, the message I see is you are a dope if the take dope,
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(06-22-2011, 10:25 AM)White Pud Wrote: I think the dope T-shirt is ironic, the message I see is you are a dope if the take dope,

I'd be cool with wearing the "Dope" shirt.

As long as it included pictures of the athletes, Nike sponsored, who used illegal performance enhancing drugs.

Put their faces on the pill bottle(s). Walk the talk, Nike, if you are against doping.

Just do it.

"Get High" should include 'exercise' or 'naturally'. That would be and good message and a fact.
unless they make them in arabian tent size you don't have to worry about ever wearing one zeroballs.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Did she post her photo & I haven't seen it yet?
Back to this again? it's how I picture her and that's all that counts.

I suppose you think all of her little picture collages are real?
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

That was actually an innocent question, Dick. I wasn't trying to start any shit.
(06-22-2011, 01:34 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Back to this again? it's how I picture her and that's all that counts.

I was rushing through the posts, I saw "tent size" and thought you were talking about me so I quickly backed up to read it again. hah

(06-22-2011, 10:04 AM)Lady Cop Wrote: i don't think the mayor should be interfering with a business/free enterprise. and there have always been t-shirts with weed on them. but that one with the pill bottle disturbs me. it makes me think of pharmacy robberies and murders over oxy.
i won't be buying anything from nike again.

I agree. "Dope" or "Get high" could be used in a different context, but then what's the point of the pill bottle? To me the pill bottle just looks like it's promoting prescription narcotics.

(06-22-2011, 01:38 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(06-22-2011, 01:34 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Back to this again? it's how I picture her and that's all that counts.

I was rushing through the posts, I saw "tent size" and thought you were talking about me so I quickly backed up to read it again. hah

I would never say that about you, I have a completely different picture of you in my mind.

[Image: booty.gif]

John Adams

You just want to pull my hair.
At exactly the right moment,yes that's what I want to do.
John Adams

I think this conversation is over my head.
you said "Head" hah
John Adams

Sign_pervert