Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Anybody watch History Detectives on PBS?
Some interesting stuff right there. They take scraps and notes from everyday people and reveal the story behind the souvenirs that people have saved from their descendants. Finding the story behind the questions. I love that show.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
yes, i've watched it. i love my PBS. Smiley_emoticons_smile i even watch your PBS channel 11. Smiley_emoticons_razz
but i haven't watched it regularly. i check to see what the topic is.

now Poirot the past few weeks, and Miss Marple last night were great! Sherlock

some people may like this tonight on PBS (monday) at 10 PM eastern. it's supposed to be part 3 of the 6-part series, and it's EXCELLENT.

Abraham and Mary Lincoln: A House Divided; American Experience
Ambition

Part 1 of a six-part chronicle of the Abraham Lincoln-Mary Todd relationship begins with their childhoods and courtship. He, of course, was born into poverty; she, however, grew up in luxury, the daughter of a Kentucky banker and slave owner.

American Experience: Abraham and Mary Lincoln, A House Divided — Shattered (Part Three)
Monday, July 11, 10pm, WGBH 2
Follow the story of Abraham and Mary Todd Lincoln's long and turbulent marriage. In Part Three of the series, the Lincolns arrive in Washington with his ability to lead in question and her sympathies suspect.

History Detectives
Tuesday, July 12, 8pm, WGBH 2
Cases include a Civil War soldier's letter, fabric from an aircraft that could be linked to Charles Lindbergh and Igor Sikorsky, and a 1950s comic book, Negro Romance.

[Image: 3cd6e1a957fccf3b3e1d5febd7059b0c]

Negro romance?!

Scandalous!!
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
this week on PBS. 57

check your local listings, but usually they will be the same. tonight is more of the Mary and Abe Lincoln series at 10 PM, it's very good. [Image: abraham_lincoln-1480.gif]

Antiques Roadshow
Monday, July 18, 8pm (Chattanooga, Hour Two); 9pm (San Antonio, Hour Three), WGBH 2
In Chattanooga, TN, Roadshow discovers a collection of movie marketing memorabilia from the 1920s to 1980s valued at $10,000 to $15,000. In San Antonio, TX, exciting finds include four Chinese porcelain panels valued at $40,000 to $60,000.

Secrets of the Dead: Lost in the Amazon
Wednesday, July 20, 8pm, WGBH 2
A modern-day quest to find the truth behind one of exploration's greatest mysteries: What happened to adventurer Col. Percy Fawcett, who went in search of a city of gold and disappeared forever?

Nova: The Great Inca Rebellion
Wednesday, July 20, 9pm, WGBH 2
Forensic experts investigate the startling discovery of dozens of hastily buried corpses belonging to a group of warriors who played a crucial role in the final chapter of the Spanish conquest of the Incas.

Inside the Mind of Adolf Hitler
Thursday, July 21, 9pm, WGBH 2
Follow Harvard psychoanalyst Dr. Walter Langer’s mission to compile the first-ever profile of Adolf Hitler’s mental and emotional state, using the Freudian model of investigation.

POV: Biblioburro
Thursday, July 21, 9pm, WGBH 44
Journey with Colombian teacher Luis Soriano as he braves armed bands, drug traffickers, snakes, and heat to deliver books to the children of a poor and violence-ridden province.

(07-18-2011, 02:21 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: this week on PBS. 57

check your local listings, but usually they will be the same. tonight is more of the Mary and Abe Lincoln series at 10 PM, it's very good.

Do you get PBS World and Create, too?

Locally, World always repeats the stand-alone PBS programs during the week. Except for MI-5 . . . motherfuckers!

I love my PBS World!

no, i don't get world or create. but i do get 3 PBS stations, so usually have a good choice of program. or can find one i may have missed.

i'm really looking forward to another Ken Burns film coming up this Fall, "Prohibition". i think he's the bee's knees. 17

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/upcoming/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJdKK6L8Z2o

Antiques Roadshow
eat your heart out Maggot! 21 hah

TULSA - Appraisers with the "Antiques Roadshow" valued one collection at more than $1 million during its stop in Tulsa.

John Eliot Jordan, a spokesman for the "Antiques Roadshow", says a collection of five Chinese carved rhinoceros horn cups was valued at $1 million to $1.5 million, making the collection the most valuable find in the show’s history.

The owner started collecting the pieces in 1970, Jordan said. The cups are estimated to be from the late 17th century to early 18th century.

Other unique appraisals include an F-5 Gibson mandolin from the Great Depression valued at $175,000 and a Ming bronze sculpture from the 16th to 17th century valued at $70,000 to $100,000.

The Chinese sculpture originally contained scrolls but they were removed and sold for $300.

Jordan said with the scrolls, it would have been worth $200,000 to $300,000.

The "Antiques Roadshow" episodes taped in Tulsa will air sometime between next January and June.

[Image: FiveChinesecarvedrhinoceroshorncups_2011...40_480.JPG]

Maggot is really that guy on the Red Green show.
Smiley_emoticons_biggrin notice the familiar Maggotisms---->

[Image: RG_SS.jpg]

[Image: 7846259.jpg]

[Image: th_red_menu.jpg]

[Image: 200px-The_Red_Green_Show-1.jpg]

I saw that rhino horn one on the internet. I cannot imagine. I go to a yard sale and end up with a stupid antique pancake flipper or something.
this is going to be excellent! Ken Burns' "Prohibition" begins Sunday 10/2/11 (tomorrow) night and is 3 parts, Sun,.Mon.,Tues.
check your local listings for times, and i am sure there will be repeats. Cheers

part 1 was very good, the history of how Prohibition came about.

tonight, Monday:
Prohibition
A Nation of Scofflaws

Part 2 of 3 examines the problems that the Volstead Act and prohibition caused, including a possible increase in alcoholism due to women frequenting the illicit speakeasies that replaced male-only saloons; adulterated liquor that poisoned some drinkers.
Drinking too much

I learned that the income tax in America was created to make up for the loss of an alcohol tax when prohibition became an amendment. When it was reversed the income tax stayed plus the tax on booze.
i didn't know that either Maggot. did you watch last night? here's tonight:

Prohibition
A Nation of Hypocrites

Conclusion. The factors that led to the end of prohibition are detailed, as the criminalization of alcohol feeds large profits into the coffers of criminal organizations and turns such gangsters as Al Capone into celebrities.

Yes I did. I am watching the last one tonight. Great series!
That was great! I like the end..........."If Americans accept the laws that tell us how to live our lives, it will be the end of America" .....So true.
10/27/11
oooooooooooo tonight on PBS. check your local listings.

9 PM
Things That Go Bump in the Night
A documentary exploring New England's supernatural legends and lore, featuring personal accounts of paranormal activity and interviews with local authors and experts.

10PM
Cemetery Special
An idiosyncratic tour of U.S. burial grounds by producer-narrator Rick Sebak. Included: historic sites; cemeteries with interesting landscaping; the final resting places of notables.

[Image: happy_halloween19.gif]

OH NO! NO POIROT!

David Suchet is bidding farewell to alter ego Hercule Poirot - and the iconic faux moustache.

The 65-year-old actor played the Belgian detective for 22 years.

Having already starred in 65 episodes, Suchet has signed up for a further five adventures which will broadcast on ITV over the Christmas period.

the good news is he is going to do a version of "Great Expectations".

[Image: article-2061754-075EA582000005DC-512_468x874.jpg]

WOW! this was one of the most interesting, touching, sweet programs i have ever seen on PBS Nature series! i watched because i have so many "pet" wild turkeys, and i was utterly enchanted by this humble and gentle man's commitment to being a turkey "mother". it's hugely worthwhile, in fact i will buy it for Christmas gifts for a few people that i think will love it. being PBS you may be able to view it, check your local listings. they often repeat programs.

in a florida oak hammock he lives with all kinds of wildlife, bears, deer, snakes, 'coons...it's just a delightful program. and those turkeys are smarter than i thought! hahaha

[Image: 20110805225856139.jpeg]

[Image: Nature-turkey.jpg]

[Image: tmpmrNDeu.640x360.jpg]

[Image: naturemylifeasaturkey_0.jpg]

[Image: 29924_large.jpg]

My Life as a Turkey is the account of an amazing experiment: Naturalist Joe Hutto incubates two dozen wild-turkey eggs with the intention of human-imprinting and raising them. But the relationship that develops between the author and the birds changes his life so that he wonders who has imprinted whom.
Based on a true story, this beautiful, charming, funny, sad, and thought-provoking film explores one of those rare moments when man and animal unwittingly become more closely linked than nature normally allows.

Deep in the wilds of Florida, Joe Hutto, wildlife artist and naturalist, was presented with a rare opportunity. It had long been his hope to learn about the secret world of wild turkeys by having young turkey poults imprint on him, but obtaining wild turkey eggs, or young poults, had proven to be next to impossible; so when he arrived home one day to find a bowl filled with wild turkey eggs on his doorstep, he went out immediately to obtain an incubator, determined to become their mother. It was an experience that would change his life in ways he could never have imagined. He began speaking with them even before they hatched, and bonded with them in their first moments. Then, day after day, for over a year, he lived as a turkey mother, taking on the full-time job of raising 16 turkey chicks. It was a role he would learn from scratch and leave him caught up in wonder. The level of awareness and sensitivity of his young family to the world around them simply transcended anything he had experienced before. He learned their language and their ways, and in time, he became about as close to being a turkey in human skin as nature permits. Eventually, his children grew up, and Hutto had to let them go off on their own. It was harder than he ever imagined.

a couple previews of turkey guy~have a nice crunchy hoppergrass Smiley_emoticons_biggrin 57