Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crime lite: Aressts for stealing coupons from papers
I guess the latest string of misdemeanor crimes is the thievery of coupon inserts from unpurchased newspapers. A lot of it has to do with that gawd awful show Extreme Couponing where extreme shoppers will collect and use hundreds of coupons and get like $1000 of groceries for $.50. Makes people think everyone can do it.
Read on>>>>

June 29, 2011

Woman arrested for stealing newspaper coupons
By Heather Pilkington, Register Staff Writer
Gainesville Daily Register The Daily Register Wed Jun 29, 2011, 09:52 AM CDT

Gainesville — For some, inserts are the most annoying part of their daily newspaper. People who see inserts as garbage fodder often toss out the inserts as soon as they open their Sunday paper.

On the other hand, some people look to the inserts as a means of saving a lot of money.

With shows such as The Learning Channel’s “Extreme Couponing” becoming popular and grocery items becoming more expensive, the inserts that come in your paper may help give a little break.

For some, the compulsion to save a couple of dollars at the grocery store may be taken a little far.

According to the KXAS-TV (NBC 5) website, one woman, Sybil Hudson, 37, was arrested Monday by Denton police on a misdemeanor charge involving theft of coupons from a newspaper stand.

Channel 5 also reported that according to Denton detectives, Hudson was caught stealing the coupons from a coin–operated newspaper stand at a Denton Whataburger. They went on to say they used a witness statement in the investigation.

Channel 5 states that if convicted, Hudson could face up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $4,000.

Inserts and coupons are extremely important to a newspaper.

“Inserts are important to newspapers because they are paid advertisement that generate revenue,” Gainesville Daily Register circulations manager Jack Bills said.

Removing inserts from newspapers on the rack is considered stealing.

The understood rule when buying is when you place money into a coin-operated machine, you take only the one paper you paid for.

According to Bills, people can save a lot of money from coupon inserts. The average savings from coupons for a Gainesville Daily Register reader is about a $200 savings per week.

“People request more coupons, but our corporate agencies tell us we can’t redistribute extra coupons other than the assigned press runs,” Bills said. “We would like to accommodate the public more, but are unable to do it due to advertising contract restrictions.”

Those that do extreme couponing already know that it takes a lot of work. To extreme coupon, it takes patience, a number of subscriptions to different newspapers and coupon agencies and meticulous amounts of calculating.

“Our readers enjoy our coupon inserts so much that some readers buy more than one copy just for the extra coupons,” Bills said.

Buying more than one copy of a paper is just one way to get a jump start on couponing.

But, there are ways to get free coupons online. To start your search for free coupons Google services such as Redplum, SmartSource or just the word “coupons.”
Life without parole!!! 89
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
QueenBee Very interesting Post - yes sir it's theft! I gave up putting Money in the Newspaper Box on a Sunday the inserts were all missing.

The Newspaper Box isn't the only Box being attacked by these coupon hounds they are even at Recycling Boxes digging through Newspaper piles
yuck!

(07-15-2011, 03:05 PM)NightOwl Wrote: QueenBee Very interesting Post - yes sir it's theft! I gave up putting Money in the Newspaper Box on a Sunday the inserts were all missing.

The Newspaper Box isn't the only Box being attacked by these coupon hounds they are even at Recycling Boxes digging through Newspaper piles
yuck!

I know. I belong to what others here may call a soup chicken type forum for people who want to be smart shoppers through watching sales and the strategic use of coupons. Some of these people have turned it into a science. The stories they tell there are something. I get my Sunday paper delivered, but when I go by the paper stand near my house at about 8 AM it is already empty