Poll: What is a BIOS?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I know what a BIOS is and/or what it's for
63.64%
7 63.64%
No, I have no clue what BIOS means and/or what it's for (without looking it up)
36.36%
4 36.36%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What's a BIOS?
I don't think folks here are 'stupid' (well, at least not most of them), but D and I have a difference of opinion as to whether or not most of you folks know what a BIOS is.

Or at least, what it's for.

So, here's a stupid poll. Humor us and please vote one way or t' other.

I left out the 'who gives a fuck' option, because I have no doubt that the only ones who DO give a fuck, are D and myself. Smiley_emoticons_wink

If you had to look up what a BIOS is, please vote 'no'.

I don't know what it means and I'm not embarrassed to admit it.
I don't know what it means, but I'm thinking it has something to do with your computer crap that I don't give a rats fat ass about.
sally Wrote:I don't know what it means, but I'm thinking it has something to do with your computer crap that I don't give a rats fat ass about.
Ditto. I don't know how the engine of my car works either, but I know how to drive it.
I don't know what each letter stands for nor am able to tell you the egghead terminology for it but it is what "sets up" your computer's system. So here's the "dummy" version.

It's the info on the mother-board that tells each component on the computer how to communicate with each other, recognize each other and without it your computer will not load.

It's where your operating system info lives.

This is the shit you see when you reboot your computer - that weird black screen with the info you don't understand.
Not to derail the thread, but I had some guy call me and ask what timeour COB was. I asked him what thatmeans and he started yelling at me that it means Close of Buisness. WTF, why don't you just talk normal you dumb prick freak.
sally Wrote:Not to derail the thread, but I had some guy call me and ask what timeour COB was. I asked him what thatmeans and he started yelling at me that it means Close of Buisness. WTF, why don't you just talk normal you dumb prick freak.
We use that term at work all the time (like when we have suspense dates), but only in writing. I can't believe some idiot would actually say 'cob', especially on the phone without any reference. ::laugh::
The Antagonist Wrote:I don't know what each letter stands for nor am able to tell you the egghead terminology for it but it is what "sets up" your computer's system. So here's the "dummy" version.

It's the info on the mother-board that tells each component on the computer how to communicate with each other, recognize each other and without it your computer will not load.

It's where your operating system info lives.

This is the shit you see when you reboot your computer - that weird black screen with the info you don't understand.
Ok, so vote 'NO' if you didn't know before reading Ant's post.

::showass::

(D thinks that most folks here know what a BIOS is, I say most don't and don't give a flying)

Oh, and it stands for Basic Input Output System, but yeah. Only geeky types ever really mess with it.
sally Wrote:Not to derail the thread, but I had some guy call me and ask what timeour COB was. I asked him what thatmeans and he started yelling at me that it means Close of Buisness. WTF, why don't you just talk normal you dumb prick freak.
Good grief. I would have been pissed at the dork too.

I've never heard the term COB. I guess he was trying to seem 'smart'.
Well, as I've mentioned a few times, I work on a military base so acronyms are SOP. hee
SyberBitch Wrote:
Good grief. I would have been pissed at the dork too.

I've never heard the term COB. I guess he was trying to seem 'smart'.
My husband knew what it meant right away so I felt like a real Einstein after telling him the story. The guy was actually a customer we had on the schedule and we argued on the phone for about 20 mins. with me telling him to take his crappyjob and shove it up his ass. Not only am I not the brightest star in the sky, I'm not great at customer service either ::lmao::
SyberBitch Wrote:I say most don't and don't give a flying)
And you would be absolutely right .
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Isn't it like Booting Input Output System or something? Like OBK said above, it's the first bit of software that's run when you boot your PC, it's stored within your MB, and it sets everything in place until your installed software takes over, yeah?
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
crash Wrote:Isn't it like Booting Input Output System or something? Like OBK said above, it's the first bit of software that's run when you boot your PC, it's stored within your MB, and it sets everything in place until your installed software takes over, yeah?
Crash you have me confused with OBK. ::irk::
Reasonable mistake...

::bigg::
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
I always think of OBK as a Roman Catholic priest & I really don't know why that is.
[Image: 19820_logo.jpg]
Interesting results so far... 50/50...
Yup, fascinating stuff.
I've had occasion to have to access some of the OS inner working of my computers over the years to diagnose problems. Otherwise I wouldn't have known.

I'm not a geek but rather a decent do-it-yourself type.

Side question here: Do any of you know how to work with the Command Prompt area of your computer? (as in ipconfig/release/restore)
[Image: alcatraz-prison-picture2-1.jpg]
[Image: what_manner.gif]