Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Fossils
Ain't no problem for a stepper.Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

prehistorc coral with other crustations and sediments

[Image: PICT0777.jpg]

dendrite - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrite_(crystal)

[Image: PICT0255.jpg]

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Fossils are cool! Where I grew up the land is carved from glaciers & finding fossils was not unusual...as well as arrowheads, every kid I knew had at least one that they considered a treasure.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
when i was a kid my Dad would take us fossil hunting at a place in Maryland called Scientist's Cliffs. it was loaded with fossils, easy to find.
then we also went out to Dinosaur National park camping. so we had quite a collection. we visited the Smithsonian Natural History Museum often also, loved all the dinosaur bones.

when my sons were young they each dragged my fossil collection to their respective science fairs at school. it was a sure thing. Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

anyway, this is exactly like one of my favorites...the tooth of a megaloden. the scale is correct, estimated to have been up to 80' long. i hope they are not still swimming around out there.

[Image: megalodon-tooth.jpg]

[Image: _c89667_image_0.jpg]

My father's family worked in the mines in Franklin, NJ. It is one of the best places in the world for finding phosphorescent rocks. I grew up collecting rocks and fossils and still have a nice "collection". When my kids were small we had a little display we did for science class. Things like rocks that float, rocks that are attracted by a magnet, and the rocks the glow under a black light.

When the packers were packing my house to move a few weeks ago, they keep teasing me about all the rocks they had to pack. When we opened certain boxes on our arrival, we kept finding nicely wrapped bundles simply labeled "rocks". Opening those bundles is a bit like a little treasure hunt.

[Image: 111102035949-tooth-story-top.jpg]

This baby tooth appears to have come from a human who lived more than 40,000 years ago.

November 2nd, 2011

Earliest Europeans lived more than 40,000 years ago
Two groups of researchers have discovered evidence of humans living in Europe more than 40,000 years ago, older than any physical remains found there before.

"They’re essentially the same as us," said Thomas Higham of the University of Oxford, who studied a jawbone that had been found in 1927 near Torquay in the United Kingdom.

These humans may have had darker skin than modern Europeans, more like today's Africans, and perhaps more robust facial characteristics, but were otherwise quite physically similar, he said.

Higham and colleagues used a refined carbon dating technique called ultrafiltration to determine that the jawbone dates from between 41,500 and 44,200 years ago. Previous estimates had put it at about 35,000 years old.

Meanwhile, in southern Italy, a different team of scientists, led by Stefano Benazzi of the University of Vienna in Austria, found two molars that are about 43,000 to 45,000 years old. The teeth were found near shell beads and other ornaments.

more at link:
http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/...?hpt=hp_c2

not fossils per se. just old dicks.

[Image: phallitop.jpg]

[Image: medium_phalliwoot.jpg]

Shown here are two examples of genital ornamentation. These particular phalli have been carved from ivory. The statuette on the left, its shaft bedecked with 6 series of equidistant dots, was recovered from Germany's famous Vogelherd cave. It is estimated to be over 30,000 years old, and is quite possibly the most ancient decorated phallus on record.

The phallus on the right was discovered in the Mas d'Azil cave, located in southwestern France, and is one of the most richly decorated phalli ever recovered. "This phallus, aged approximately 14,000 years, has the anatomical details depicted and is fully decorated."

read more here:
http://io9.com/5852161/what-do-ancient-p...rchaeology

wow i love this! he really should donate it to the Smithsonian.

daily fail
A 67 million year old T-Rex tooth unearthed sticking out of a farmer's field could fetch up to £19,000 at auction.

It is officially one of the oldest teeth ever discovered after a rancher stumbled across the ancient dentistry poking out of the soil after he ploughed his field in rural Garfield County, Montana.

It is in such good condition, its tiny serrated edges, which helped the dinosaur grind down their preys bones, are still visible on the surface.

The Tyrannosaurus Rex tooth is thought to be at least 67 million years old -and dates back to the era when the towering predators roamed the earth.

The six inch tooth weighs an incredible 337.8 grams and has been put up for auction by the rancher who found it in over the summer.

[Image: article-0-0EE6109800000578-200_306x539.jpg]

[Image: article-0-0EE60F2C00000578-79_306x539.jpg]

[Image: article-2064687-0C810C6C00000578-686_634x419.jpg]

[Image: PICT0777.jpg]

I found something that looks exactly like that under my oil tank last night. Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(11-22-2011, 12:41 PM)Maggot Wrote: [Image: PICT0777.jpg]

I found something that looks exactly like that under my oil tank last night. Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch

I found this at 8000 feet elevation, I don't think you could have the same thing, but just to be sure lick it several times, if it disolves in your mouth it's not the same thing.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

hahahahaha
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
It even had an acorn next to it, it was really hard because it did not break apart when I picked it up. The altitude thing has got me vexed though.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Why would you pick it up? Why? When I see shit, I automatically don't want to touch it.

Dick is a religious nut, so I think he is saying God left the fossils there to prove there was a Great Flood. I would say high elevations contain fossils because they are the sites of ancient oceans that have since receded (and land masses that have been raised by collisions causing mountain ranges) and have had time to mineralize and become fossils, but I'm probably going to hell.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(11-22-2011, 01:28 PM)Cracker Wrote: Why would you pick it up? Why? When I see shit, I automatically don't want to touch it.

Dick is a religious nut, so I think he is saying God left the fossils there to prove there was a Great Flood. I would say high elevations contain fossils because they are the sites of ancient oceans that have since receded (and land masses that have been raised by collisions causing mountain ranges) and have had time to mineralize and become fossils, but I'm probably going to hell.

I'm a religious nut who understands that the earth was not formed void,

God created the heavens and earth and it was void and without form?

Genisis 1:1 and 2

Now as for hell God created that also.

If you are going there you are also going to a place that God created.

I live a in a huge basin, which indeed was an inland sea.

8000 feet here is only moderate elevation, we have 12,000 foot elevations here.

John Adams

(11-22-2011, 01:39 PM)IMaDick Wrote: I'm a religious nut who understands that the earth was not formed void,

God created the heavens and earth and it was void and without form?

Genisis 1:1 and 2

Now as for hell God created that also.

If you are going there you are also going to a place that God created.

I live a in a huge basin, which indeed was an inland sea.

8000 feet here is only moderate elevation, we have 12,000 foot elevations here.

I attended a religious institution (I know, right?) and the first day of religion class they taught us that you couldn't trust the Bible because there are two conflicting accounts of creation in Genesis 2.

LGM (that was the biggie ice age)
[Image: 20071126225658%21Last_glacial_vegetation_map.png]
Are you in the lake/open waters area?

Fossils in that area are mostly from the Lower Cambrian era:
[Image: lowercambrian.gif]

Earth looked a little different then...
They don't conflict, but I'm not going to unscrew your head and explain it to you on the forum.

John Adams

[Image: article-2087622-0F7CF81D00000578-409_306x423.jpg]

[Image: article-2087622-0F7E51D900000578-955_634x286.jpg]

[Image: article-2087622-0F7CF9B400000578-184_306x423.jpg]

[Image: article-2087622-0F7CF9EC00000578-268_306x423.jpg]

[Image: article-2087622-0F7CFAE700000578-851_634x385.jpg]

[Image: article-2087622-0F7CFA8800000578-427_306x423.jpg]

[Image: article-2087622-0F7CFA4500000578-939_306x423.jpg]

For 160 years they lay forgotten in a dusty cabinet, lost to science because they had been hastily filed away.

Now a treasure trove of fossils collected by the young Charles Darwin has been discovered by chance.

They were collected in the 1830s in South America during his five-year voyage on HMS Beagle.

Experts say the find sheds new light on this formative period for Darwin, then in his 20s, whose study of tropical plants and wildlife set the stage for his ground-breaking theory of evolution.

The fossils, neatly pressed on to slides, some bearing Darwin’s signature, were discovered by Dr Howard Falcon-Lang, a palaeontologist at Royal Holloway, University of London.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...z1jhronrtl