Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bats in the Belfry.
The Selectmen in Epping are all Batty anyway, maybe the little guy was looking for a friend.

http://www.wmur.com/news/28891556/detail.html

EPPING, N.H. -- A bat caused a disturbance during the selectmen meeting in Epping this week.

About 46 minutes into the town hall meeting, the bat began to fly near the heads of the selectmen.

One person grabbed an umbrella as they tried to get the bat outside.

"Shoot it, chief," one man said to the police chief.

Another jokingly asked for a five-minute recess.

The bat left the room after about two minutes, and the meeting continued the discussion about placing a no-right-turn sign on Depot Road.

Some places they'd have shot the damn thing down and had it for lunch.
I have not seen many bats this year.........come to think about it, I have not had a mosquito problem this year either. Last year they were swooping within 5 ft of me, I liked going out and standing there letting them swoop and flutter. If I stood there long enough I became a human bat magnet because the mosquitos would descend on me like feeding time at the fat ranch.
Oh well, they must be in the tops of the pine trees eating bird fleas of something. Now anyone that thinks one of those sonic bug repellent things actually work are feeling mighty silly right about now.
But if that doesn't help with any pre conceived notion that going to a selectmans meeting would entertain anyone with common sense or anything else better to do then the bat did its job, unlike anyone else in the room.
Bats are great, if you let them get close enough you can see them smiling. There is a reason for that ........I just haven't figured it out yet. So in the end I'm just glad nobody got shot or lost an eye.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(08-17-2011, 09:52 PM)Maggot Wrote: I have not seen many bats this year.........come to think about it, I have not had a mosquito problem this year either.

All of your bats came my way...The river out behind my house has been reduced to a swamp, thanks to a hot dry July.

The bat houses in my back yard have had a "no Vacancy" sign up for the last month or so. We usually have a lot of mosquitoes around, this time of year, but I haven't really noticed any either.

Down in Tx they aren't quite as prolific as they usually are, but if I sit outside long enough one will do a fly by. I rather like the flying rodents. They're cute.
damn things are often rabid, and someone recently died from a bite. (it's in the death by wildlife thread: http://mockforums.net/post-183717.html#pid183717 post 74 )
i used to toss mini-marshmallows in the air for them at dusk when i'd go camping, they would dive down and catch them. that was probably stupid.

[Image: bat36.gif]

Yeah, I've often wondered why they can't develop an oral rabies vac to put in bat food so we can play with them without risk.
I was complaining about my flight from Albany to Detroit being delayed last week by a plane door that wouldn't close. Then the flight from Detroit to Houston was delayed due to someone's suitcase vibrating. No it wasn't mine. But I will gladly take that over having a bat in the plane!! I saw that on the news and knew that I would have freaked the fuck out if I were on that plane.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
You were in Houston and didn't call me!? Fine. Hmph. Smiley_emoticons_wink
I am sooo sorry Fibo! I was with my brother at MD Anderson so it wasn't a social visit. But dayum! It's hot down there.
Yeah it is. No break in the heat anytime soon either. That's why I want out so badly.

Sorry you were at MD Anderson. Great hospital, but rough reasons for being there. Hope your brother is doing well! The best of the best are there.
My brother is doing awsome!! He had a brain tumor two years ago and we went there for the surgery. A tumor came back but it was only dead cells from chemo and radiation when the removed it. No active tumor. So good news! And MD is the best place eva! I was so impressed with the staff and just the whole place.
(08-19-2011, 12:45 PM)ramseycat Wrote: He had a brain tumor two years ago and we went there for the surgery.

I remember that.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
This is MDA downtown, yes?
Yes. Where there are nothing but hospitals as far as the eye could see.