Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Dateline Tonight NBC
Video 
i usually watch Dateline on Friday nights, from 9 to 11 Eastern. it covers murder cases, solved and unsolved. tonight, 826 they will cover a case i remember well, this lovely young woman was hiking in the Georgia mountains and this filthy bastard killed and beheaded her. it became clear he was a serial killer.

Meredith Emerson

[Image: meredith-emerson_061.jpg]

[Image: mere_and_ella.jpg]

[Image: slideshow_362951_Meredith_Emerson.JPG]

[Image: dscn3225.jpg]

[Image: slideshow_424795_Hike.0225d.JPG]

Gary Michael Hilton

taking police to body

[Image: 0107082141_M_010608_MissingHiker05.jpg]
[Image: 110421073953_taldc5-5zbffgxtoo4wpebeh29_original.jpg]
[Image: 013108HiltonPlea2_dm.jpg]
[Image: 2008_06_06-197149.jpg]

The Bryants
The Bryants had disappeared Oct. 21, 2007, in the Pisgah National Forest.

[Image: bildeml1.jpg]

Cheryl Hodges Dunlap decapitated in florida

[Image: ht_dunlap_071217_main.jpg]

August 25, 2011

BlueRidgeNow.com

Two of John and Irene Bryant's children say their parents deserve justice in court regardless of whether their accused killer has already been sentenced to death for another murder.

Daughter Holly Bryant will also appear on Dateline NBC Friday to talk about her parents, who were Horse Shoe residents, during the show's segment on convicted murderer Gary Michael Hilton.

A federal judge recently agreed to delay Hilton's latest trial in Asheville for the murder of the Bryants in order to give the defense more time to prepare.

Hilton, 65, is accused of killing the elderly couple nearly four years ago. Hilton has been indicted on two counts of first-degree murder, kidnapping, robbery and violent crimes in connection with the kidnapping, robbery and murder of the Bryants on national forest lands, according to court records.

In April, a Florida jury sentenced Hilton to death for the murder of Cheryl Dunlap in Leon County, Fla. He is also serving a life sentence for the 2008 murder of Meredith Emerson in northern Georgia.

With the North Carolina trial approaching, Dateline has planned a show on Hilton that will focus on the Emerson murder.

"I was interviewed by Dateline," Holly Bryant said Wednesday. "It was great to talk about how great my parents were."

Holly Bryant has said from the beginning that she believes Hilton is guilty.

"The trial is necessary," she said. "Until he is convicted, he is not proven guilty, and my parents deserve to have their time in court just like the other victims did.

"I am just glad the killings have stopped. I will be glad when all of this is over and done with."

Holly Bryant said she wouldn't have much to say to Hilton if she gets the opportunity to address him during the trial.

"He has taken so much of our time and stolen so much from my family, I don't want to give him any more of my time," she said. "I do want to know why he chose to victimize my parents and the other women so maybe we can learn how these murders could have been prevented."

Holly's brother, Bob Bryant, said he didn't talk to Dateline reporters other than when they called to get an update on the North Carolina trial date.

"The trial is on my mind a lot lately," he said. "I know it's going to be difficult."

Bob Bryant said there should absolutely be a trial for his parents. "I don't think the expense will be as much as people may think," he said. "These attorneys are salaried and they would be paid if they were working on this trial or another one. The value to my family and the community outweighs the cost incurred by the trial."

If convicted in North Carolina, Hilton faces life in prison without parole or the death penalty. The indictment includes a notice of special sentencing factors which could be considered for imposition of the federal death penalty if convicted.

The Bryants disappeared in October 2007 while hiking in the Pink Beds area of Pisgah National Forest in Transylvania County.

Hilton's first-degree murder charges are for the murder of Irene Bryant in Pisgah National Forest on Oct. 21, 2007 and the murder of John Bryant on or about Feb. 2, 2008 in Nantahala National Forest in Macon County, according to the indictment.

His kidnapping charge stems from the kidnapping of John Bryant also on Oct. 21, 2007 from the forest.

AJC
A federal judge in Asheville, N.C. has agreed to delay the trial of Gary Michael Hilton in the killings of a couple nearly four years ago.

Hilton had been scheduled for trial Sept. 6 in the deaths of John and Irene Bryant. The Bryants, of Hendersonville, N.C., disappeared Oct. 21, 2007, in the Pisgah National Forest in Transylvania County.

The case has been postponed until Oct. 31 to give Hilton's attorneys more time to prepare.

In April, a Florida judge sentenced the former Atlantan to death for the 2007 decapitation of a nurse, Cheryl Hodges Dunlap.

Hilton already was serving a life sentence after pleading guilty in Georgia to murdering hiker Meredith Emerson of Athens.

Why do they need more time to prepare? That is absurd. Get the trial over with. Why make the family wait even longer for justice?
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
tonight 9/2/11

Sep 2: 'Somebody's Daughter'

Josh Mankiewicz reports on the mystery behind the West Mesa Murders— a story that made national headlines after the remains of 11 female bodies were found in a desert graveyard outside of Albuquerque, New Mexico in 2009. the story of this unsolved case has investigators racing against time to find the killer, leading them to search for clues in Albuquerque's "war zone," where drugs and prostitution create a breeding ground for danger and even death.

Told through the eyes of the city's missing persons detective Ida Lopez, viewers watch as the clues unfold in a story that has captured the attention of media across the country but has yet to lead to an arrest. With the killer still potentially at large, Lopez is intent to see that these women, most of whom were prostitutes and whose disappearance went largely unnoticed for years, get a fair shot at justice. "I have to keep believing that we'll find an answer soon. Soon could be months, could be years. But I have to keep believing that today could be the day. Today could be the day," she says.

[Image: new-mexico-prostitute-murders1.jpg]

many photos at these links:

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/x478096...estigation

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1877516.shtml

i have no clue what case this is. hah

Sep. 16: 'Deadly House of Cards'

What started as an obsession with Dexter, the television series about a serial killer, Keith Morrison tells the story of an indie film-maker connected to the case of a missing man. Was it a publicity stunt or something far darker?

It's the Johnny Atlinger case - a Craigslist murder. Fortunately, Atlinger emailed the directions to where he was going to friends.

I almost always watch Dateline tonight. They do a pretty good job of covering cases, but if you know a lot about a case, they frequently get some details wrong (as does pretty much all the media).

I hadn't heard about the Dexter connection before. From what I know, it doesn't seem like a Dexter-type murder because I don't think the killer knew anything about his victim. But I know only the bare bones of this case, so will be watching.
Thanks Kip! sounds good, i'll be watching.

One of the most gruesome and bizarre Alberta murder cases in recent memory is the focus of Dateline NBC Friday night.

Titled "Deadly House of Cards," the two-hour show will focus on the murder of Johnny Altinger at the hands of amateur filmmaker, Mark Twitchell.

Show host, Keith Morrison, a former CTV news anchor, says the Twitchell case was just so extremely unusual and odd that it deserved following.

The show doesn't talk with Twitchell or any of his family, but does interview several former friends of the convicted murderer.

victim
[Image: 2973828916_bc47343b42.jpg]

killer
[Image: twitch1%20MySpace.jpeg]

April 2011
EDMONTON - Accused killer Mark Twitchell took the witness stand at his first-degree murder trial Wednesday and tearfully admitted he killed and dismembered Johnny Altinger.

However, the aspiring Edmonton filmmaker then told the jury a story that appeared to point towards self-defence.

Twitchell, 31, admitted luring Altinger to a Mill Woods garage he rented for a movie set by pretending to be a woman from an Internet dating site and setting up a date.

Once there, Twitchell testified he told the 38-year-old city man the Oct. 10, 2008, date was a hoax and part of a multi-media format psychological thriller he was producing.

He told jurors Altinger then became "angry" and they exchanged hurtful words. He said Altinger then kicked him in the back and they began fighting in the garage.

Twitchell said Altinger grabbed a pipe lying against a wall, and took a couple of swings at him, which he said he dodged, before snatching the pipe away from him.

He said he then hit Altinger on the head with the pipe several times and they got into an "intense altercation."

Twitchell testified he then struck Altinger multiple times on the head with the pipe before the other man angrily grabbed it back away from him.

At that point, he said he put his hand on the handle of a hunting knife that was in a sheath attached to his belt.

And when Altinger came at him swinging the pipe, he said he believes he stabbed him with the knife.

"It all happened so fast," he said. "I just remember a wet sensation on the hand holding the handle and I just let go. Then I saw it sticking out of him."

After seeing the knife sticking out of Altinger's chest, Twitchell said he"froze" for five to 10 minutes, during which Altinger "staggered back" and fell to the ground.

Twitchell told the jury he realized then "it was over" and Altinger was going to die, and he described a war being waged in his head as to whether or not he should call 911.

The twice-divorced father began crying as he admitted not doing anything to help Altinger and recounted realizing how stupid he had been with his planning.

Twitchell said he then figured out a plan and, after mentally blocking out all his feelings, he lifted Altinger's body and put it onto a large metal table in the garage.

After using tissues to wipe his face, Twitchell admitted he then dismembered the body, put the parts into garbage bags and placed the bags in the back of Altinger's car.

His testimony continued with him explaining the things he did to cover his tracks and his eventual disposing of the remains down a sewer near his parents' home.

Twitchell agreed he lied to police about what had happened in various statements and interviews.

He ended his testimony by talking about telling police in June where the remains had been dumped.

this one tonight will hit close to home for me in that i know most of the Sheriff Dept. people. i will be watching for sure!
it's a bizarre tale of a nutty woman and so-called kidnapping.

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- A 10-day investigation into a reported abduction over the Labor Day weekend led detectives to sex tapes, discussions of fake kidnappings, ransom notes, money drops gone wrong and two arrests -- including the woman who claims to be the victim.

Quinn Gray, the 37-year-old Ponte Vedra Beach woman who said she was kidnapped and released three days later, was arrested Wednesday afternoon and charged with extortion.

At a first appearance in St. Johns County court Thursday morning, Gray told the judge she did not know if she could afford an attorney. She remains in jail on a $1 million bond.

A 25-year-old Jacksonville man connected to the case was arrested early Tuesday morning, also on charges of extortion. According to the arrest report, Jasmin Osmanovic delivered two letters to Gray's home saying he was owed $50,000. He also told investigators that he had a sexual relationship with Gray and the couple spent that weekend together.

"They met chance encounter. Their relationship developed," St. Johns County Sheriff David Shoar said. "We don't know all there is to know about their relationship. But she knew him long before Labor Day weekend. She actually led us to him."

full story here:

http://www.news4jax.com/news/20962746/detail.html

10/7/11

Dateline NBC
NEW

The family of a missing South Carolina woman hires a team of private investigators to find her.

She was beautiful, talented, trusting -- and sometimes troubled. A young woman from a prominent family, finally grabbing the promise in life, right up until the day she vanished. When the police seemed unable to find her, her family hatched a plan. They turned to an unusual group of private eyes called "The A Team." Could they solve this mystery?
Keith Morrison reports on a chilling case of a daughter in danger: "Strangers on a Train" on Friday, October 7th, at 9pm/8c.

It's the Katherine (Kate) Wareing case. The name didn't mean anything to me until I started reading about the details and then remembered. (Too many missing and murdered...)
tonight...this is a good one!

http://mockforums.net/thread-5617.html

Looking forward to it - I didn't follow this case. Read through the thread - I only hope Dateline shows Bozo making the "live human cadaver" remark.
Coming up tonight on Dateline NBC
Major developments in a story we first brought you last year. It all began with some spiritual adventurers, spending a few days in Sedona under the eye of James Ray - a best-selling self-help teacher, known for being part of "The Secret." But some of those who went, never made it back home... and the loved ones they left behind wanted to know: was the man who promised to change their lives responsible, instead, for their deaths? Now, there are some answers...
Chris Hansen tells us what really happened on this "Deadly Retreat" tonight at 9pm/8c on Dateline NBC.

I've met JAR - worked on a project with him about 15 years ago. I know a lot about this case so I'm very interested to see how it's presented. I wonder if they'll bring up Colleen Conaway ( who killed Coleen Conaway? ), a participant at another of his workshops. Her death was ruled a suicide, but family and friends don't believe it. Plus, JAR did creepy things. Participants' cell phones were confiscated by JAR's staff (as they always were in this particular workshop) before participants were sent out with no money, no possessions, to pretend they were homeless. After JAR found out Colleen was dead, he called her cell phone numerous times (when it was in his possession!!!!) leaving messages like, "Where are you? We're worried about you."

IMO, JAR is in it only for the money and has little regard for staff and clients.
It's the story of a double murder that was both shocking and puzzling. There were no witnesses, no murder weapon, few clues. The victims were a respected couple - a businessman and a teacher. Only their son was a professional gambler... could that have something to do with it? The prosecutor took another look at one little card, ignored in the original investigation, and decided to roll the dice.
Keith Morrison reports on a deadly house of cards in "The Player" tonight at 10pm/9c on Dateline NBC.

Nov. 4: 'Crossing the Line'

Dateline's Keith Morrison takes a look inside a fatal two-car crash on a Montana highway that left a pregnant mother and her son dead, and a teenage driver clinging to life. Using text messages on a phone found in one of the driver’s cars, investigators would find a minute-by-minute narrative of the events leading up to the collision, leaving some to believe that it might not have been an accident—but murder.

I could listen to Keith Morrison read a phone book.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(11-04-2011, 11:38 AM)Duchess Wrote:

I could listen to Keith Morrison read a phone book.

hah

Me too. I enjoy listening to him, just not looking at him.

A definite 'face for radio'.
tonight's show has changed:

The very latest in the trial of Michael Jackson's doctor, Conrad Murray. As the jury weighs the evidence, we'll have the most complete look yet at the case. You'll hear from Dr. Murray, as he explains his actions on the fateful day of Jackson's death, as well as from the King of Pop himself, in haunting audiotapes. We'll have the trial's most dramatic testimony, including the moments that might sway the jury. And we'll have interviews jurors never saw, including an emotional conversation with Jermaine Jackson.
Josh Mankiewicz reports a comprehensive portrait of the King of Pop's last days and final moments tonight at 10pm/9c on Dateline NBC.

Dang. I was looking forward to other other show. I haven't been following this trial and really don't care much about it. Smart programming move though.
(11-04-2011, 06:39 PM)Kip Wrote: Dang. I was looking forward to other other show. I haven't been following this trial and really don't care much about it. Smart programming move though.

I did a little research on the Montana case, and I too think it would have been an interesting story.

Now, we get the Michael Jackson saga.

Who gives a rats ass?

As the defense attorney said in his closing arguments yesterday, "If this case was about anyone BUT Michael Jackson, there wouldn't even be a trial."

Mike wanted a doctor who would give him copious amounts of painkillers/drugs and was willing to pay handsomely. However, I don't believe Jackson thought he'd die.

Unfortunately for Mike though, if he's telling the Doc to give him more, more, more, he's going to listen.

Sad, tragic end to one of the greatest entertainers of our time. A truly talented individual.