Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
OLD Movies~the good and the awful~

i love old movies, and TCM is the place to watch them, uncut. some are great classics, others are dreck. i saw this one last night that was such a melodramatic film noir that it was hilarious.

review some of your favorite old flicks, good or bad~

my favorite part of this movie is when he takes the murdered slut's body and puts it on a huge bonfire on Guy Fawkes Night!
how creative! 28

in gaslight Victorian London~~

[Image: HangoverSquare.jpg]

the dancehall slut

[Image: hangover+square+PDVD_027.jpg]

the deranged composer

[Image: hangover+spell.jpg]

[Image: 2582510789_5e0b5b5049.jpg]

On a dark side street in London at the turn of the century an old shopkeeper is stabbed and his place set ablaze. As George Harvey Bone (Laird Cregar) finds himself walking sown the street away from the fire he realizes he cannot remember what he has done for the last half hour or where he has been. When he reaches home and his fiancée Barbara Chapman (Faye Marlowe) he feels he may be responsible for the crime of the dead shopkeeper and goes to see his doctor, attached to Scotland Yard, Dr. Allan Middleton (George Sanders) who cannot find evidence that George has been involved in the crime. George has been experiencing periods of memory loss for some time and though he is deeply involved in writing a new concerto that has been promised a public concert he feels constricted by his daily routine and periods of memory loss. For diversion George goes to a beer hall where he discovers Netta London (Linda Darnell) entertaining a full house of men with her singing. George approaches Netta and her manager with a new song he has written and the three partner together to produce and sell it. George is successful at writing popular songs and falls in love with Netta but the singer has bigger plans and strings George along to get him to write more songs for her. When he discovers that she is planning to marry someone else George strangles Netta and puts her dead body on a bon fire to destroy it. When Dr. Middleton discovers the truth he attempts to get George medical help but the composer demands to play his concert and when the police move it to take George away a deadly confrontation occurs.

I usually stay away from the uncut versions of things. haha

Joan Crawford made some good movies. I know she was a crazy bitch, but that translates well on the big screen.

(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
oh yes, she was the Queen! Mildred Pierce was the quintessential Joan. i loved Bette Davis even more. sadly they later became caricatures of themselves.

[Image: gal_bette7.jpg]

I loved the book and the movie, "To Kill a Mockingbird". Love Gregory Peck. I also really liked the Audrey Hepburn move "Wait Until Dark" (1967). Good suspense film.

http://ia.media-[Image: 220px-Original_movie_poster_for_the_film...ngbird.jpg]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTU9IKffBpHbl9oBDSG05I...nf9W2jWp4o]
My all time favorite movie~

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTY8P440tFj7W-B2OfHnvK...c8urRzk95m]
For every 10 movies out now there may be one keeper. I think in 10 years of any time there are 5 that could be called classic. Time is always the test. I still like B&W gangster movies. And sometimes watch one I have never seen and say, WOW! that was cool. The good movies are still out there they are just never seen as often. Now,the definition of a good movie verses a popular movie is debatable.
The worst movie I have ever watched was "The night of the living dead" I hated it. But I liked "drop dead Fred" Its all about entertainment and I have yet to watch a Kubrick movie I was not fascinated with. He is the extention of Hitchcock.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
i LOVE old Bogart movies like Casablanca, this weekend hurricane made me think of a favorite~~KEY LARGO. i lived in Key Largo for a while, and had a few of the movie posters on the wall.

[Image: key-largo-movie.jpg]

[Image: Key-Largo-classic-movies-4205011-800-600.jpg]

(08-28-2011, 06:15 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I loved the book and the movie, "To Kill a Mockingbird". Love Gregory Peck.

I really liked "To Kill a Mockingbird" as well! Awink
I like Gregory Peck also, Audrey Hepburn lovely!

The Guns of Navarone, Gregory Peck great movie.

Flight of the Phoenix , James Stewart, Richard Attenborough there are many
good actors in this and Connie Francis sings that wonderful song.

As a kid, I remember loving 'The Ghost and Mrs. Muir".

George Sander's voice always mesmerized me.

Probably because of his role as Shere Khan in the Jungle Book.
Joan Crawford was awesome in Mildred Pierce! I just found out Kate Winslet did a new version on HBO? Did anyone see it? Newer versions are never the same.

The Ghost & Mrs. Muir it was wonderful also!
great old silent classic on Turner Classic Movies tonight, 815

Intolerance(1916)

D.W. Griffith's silent masterpiece presents four interconnected tales depicting man's inhumanity toward his fellow man. Silent.
Lillian Gish, Robert Harron, Bessie Love, Mae Marsh, Howard Gaye 8:00 - 11:30 PM TCM

[Image: IranianIntolerance_clip_image003.jpg]

(08-29-2011, 09:39 PM)JsMom Wrote:
(08-28-2011, 06:15 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I loved the book and the movie, "To Kill a Mockingbird". Love Gregory Peck.

Ditto.Blowing-kisses
(08-15-2012, 10:39 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:
(08-29-2011, 09:39 PM)JsMom Wrote:

Ditto.Blowing-kisses

It's such a great film. I read the book before seeing the movie. I'm often disappointed with movies based upon books that I love, but not "To Kill a Mockingbird".

Scout Finch and Phoebe Caulfield (Holden's little sister from the "Catcher in the Rye") are two of my favorite literary characters. I kept thinking Salinger's masterpiece would be made into a movie, and apparently he was approached by every major director and young male actor for decades and would not agree to release the rights. Salinger didn't want the story all "phonied up" by Hollywood. Very Holdenesque.

Anyway, I don't know if they're old enough to be considered classics, but a few other adaptations of books that I think are great films are "The Exorcist", "Shawshank Redemption" and "The Silence of the Lambs".
TKAMB is one of my favorites as well.

Nice bit of trivia about the movie... Boo Radley was played by future great Robert Duvall. It was his first film role.

Favorite movie would probably be Casablanca.
(08-16-2012, 04:15 PM)Jimbone Wrote: Favorite movie would probably be Casablanca.

That's a great one.

Hard to pick a favorite classic, but two that I love and have watched many times: 57

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTO9nFmrkGBy69ksiIvbpH...xUt3xjJF_Q] [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8gVS1LyISg3WvIzMhAC6...tfMU7JSc5A]
Nice picks as well!

I've probably watched Casablanca over 20 times.
(08-16-2012, 04:35 PM)Jimbone Wrote: Nice picks as well!

I've probably watched Casablanca over 20 times.

I'm kinda jealous that you've got a drive-in nearby. BUT, I'm really lucky because the Castro Theater is such a cool historic landmark and shows doubles features of classics alot, even silent movies sometimes. This double is coming up at the end of this month; gonna try to catch it - haven't seen either film.

[Image: city-lights.jpg] [Image: sherlock-jr.jpg]
(08-16-2012, 06:19 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I'm kinda jealous that you've got a drive-in nearby. BUT, I'm really lucky because the Castro Theater is such a cool historic landmark and shows doubles features of classics alot, even silent movies sometimes. This double is coming up at the end of this month; gonna try to catch it - haven't seen either film.

[Image: city-lights.jpg] [Image: sherlock-jr.jpg]

Are you hitting on me again?

Sure, I'd love to go.
(08-16-2012, 07:28 PM)Jimbone Wrote: Are you hitting on me again?

Sure, I'd love to go.

I was just talking theaters and movies in the movie thread, but now you've given me ideas...

If movie talk alone motivates you to fly across the country for a four hour showing, I'm confident that I can talk you into buying me an $11 movie ticket and probably even some popcorn. I will then have transformed into a gold-digger, thereby validating your assessment about some women first-hand.

It's a liberal theater; you can bring your sofa cushion inside if you want.

Everybody wins. 116