Cat/Dog years....
At age 2, a cat or a dog is considered 24 "human" years old. Each year after age 2 is equivalent to 4 "human" years. Let "a" represent the age of a cat or dog. Fill in the expression [24 + __ (a-2) so that it represents the age of a cat or dog in "human" years. Copy the chart and use your expression to complete it.

24+__(a-2) Age (human years)

I fucking hate 7th grade math.
Commando Cunt Queen
Do it now.52
Commando Cunt Queen
Never mind. The husband has been charged with figuring it out and explaining it to a 12 y/o. Yesssssssssss....
Commando Cunt Queen
Geez . . .

Doesn't your kid do spreadsheets?

BTW - You're missing a bracket.
(09-07-2011, 11:48 PM)username Wrote: Do it now.52

Hahahaha!

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
my cat is 56
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
this might work Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

[Image: dog_ate_my_homework_shirt.gif]
[Image: 176799724_640.jpg]

My cat is 80. Smiley_emoticons_slash
(09-08-2011, 01:13 AM)BlueTiki Wrote: BTW - You're missing a bracket.

Yes, yes I was. It was an order of operation fail on my part. Oops
Commando Cunt Queen
(09-08-2011, 10:18 AM)trixie Wrote: My cat is 80. Smiley_emoticons_slash

I bet it smells like 80 too.................
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
And this is why I had to buy my son a $110 calculator for high school. Stupid new math.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
There is NO NEW MATH at elementary/middle/secondary levels. Math is ancient. There are NEW DUMB PEOPLE, but that's about it. haha

Here, cheat: http://www.basic-mathematics.com/express...lator.html

Remember when you used to have to program Lotus 123? You could do that by just typing in the expression in the top cell and ordering it to calc in Excel.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
24+__(a-2) Age (human years)

Did she forget to do the *4 part? It says 2=24, then I see where she did (age-2), but that should multiplied by 4 THEN add 24. Is the __ supposed to be 4? Because that would be 24+4(age-2).

2 years is 24+(age-2)(4) or 24+(2-2)(4)= 24+0=24
3 years is 24+(3-2)(4)= 24+4=28
4 years is 24=(4-2)(4)= 24+8=32
5 years is 24+(5-2)(4)= 24+12=36
6 years is 24+(6-2)(4)= 24+16=40

(Of course I transposed the (4) times 4 and the age (a-2). I do that shit. Sorry. They will need to fix that.)
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
The a variable is probably confusing the kids. We usually use n in math. n being number of years then subtract 2 or (n-2). The use of a for age might be what is messing with their minds.
The most important thing to teach young people learning algebra: http://www.studygs.net/mathproblems.htm

Tranlating words to operations (any idiot can do the numbers, the real art to translation is knowing what operation they are asking you to perform). Main terms in italics. Smiley_emoticons_smile:

Addition
increased by
more than
combined, together
total of
sum
added to

Subtraction
decreased by
minus, less
difference between/of
less than, fewer than

Multiplication
of
times, multiplied by
product of
increased/decreased by a
factor of (this type can
involve both addition or
subtraction and
multiplication!)

Division
per, a
out of
ratio of, quotient of
percent (divide by 100)
Equals is, are, was, were, will be
gives, yields
sold for
Gotdammit, because they are young I feel the need to finish the explanation.

In correct order of ops:

(a-2)4+24. Subtract two from the age first, then mulitply by four, then add back the 24 years that make up for the time (2 years) you subtract in the first step. There. Whew. Hate it when people don't explain shit correctly. It is a growth expression that they will be putting in standard form and graphing later on. 24 is the y axis and (a-2)(4) is the slope.

Math isn't harder now, it is just bumped back a few years. We did that shit in high school. They are doing it now so they have room for higher level math in high school. Okay, I'm done.
Gotta learn 'em the Hierarchy of Mathematical Operations.

Is that British for Order of Operations? You people make "shit" sound fancy. What is the British word for shit? (Sorry, Duchess.)
(09-08-2011, 10:34 PM)Cracker Wrote: Is that British for Order of Operations? You people make "shit" sound fancy. What is the British word for shit? (Sorry, Duchess.)

shite. with pinky extended.

(09-08-2011, 10:37 PM)Lady Cop Wrote:
(09-08-2011, 10:34 PM)Cracker Wrote: Is that British for Order of Operations? You people make "shit" sound fancy. What is the British word for shit? (Sorry, Duchess.)

shite. with pinky extended.

See? Now that's classy!