Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Has the speed of light been exceeded?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15017484

Puzzling results from Cern, home of the Large Hadron Collider, have confounded physicists because subatomic particles seem to have beaten the speed of light.

Neutrinos sent through the ground from Cern toward the Gran Sasso laboratory 732km away in Italy seemed to show up a tiny fraction of a second early.

The results - which threaten to upend a century of physics - were put online for scrutiny by other scientists.

In the meantime, the group says it is being very cautious about its claims.

We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
I actually read this one, Pud.

I don't know what I think. I would have to change everything I "know." It is a little disconcerting. If it is true, I do want to know, but I have a love affair with some dead physicists. I don't want them to be wrong.

I'm glad they opened up the results for the world to study. That was the right thing to do.

Of course nothing has really changed if there are particles that travel faster than c, they have been doing this forever.

I'm just a little flabbergasted.

You might like this story, Pud: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/life-a...sfeed=true
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
I don't know, it does seem to cast doubt on the theory of relativity but I think they are right to be cautious.

I find it strange they haven't mentioned tachyons but thats about as far as my high school understanding of physics goes really.

If anything the LHC seems to be doing its job of raising more questions and hopefully more answers.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
I'm not sure what level they start teaching about fundamental particles, but 99% of Americans are only aware of protons, neutrons, and electrons. I guess that's all we need to know.

This finding, if proven, just confuses me. If energy is matter traveling at the speed of light, what is a neutrino? Is it matter or energy?

The key to the universe is speed/vibration. I don't understand a lot of it, I am just aware of what I don't understand. The idea that this entire world of matter is determined by the rate and direction of vibration/spin is amazing enough. I'm not sure what this information will do to what we already think we "know."

I've been interested in electron/crystal packing. It will change power consumption in electronics: http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-12-elec...ement.html
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
Nano seconds, if they didn't make a mistake, what instument do we have that will measure beyond the speed of light?

so for the billions of dollars that was spent on Cern, we maybe get a little bit faster partical?

great investment in wasted time,energy and money so far, has this fucking thing produced one kilowatt of useable energy yet?

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

(09-24-2011, 04:06 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Nano seconds, if they didn't make a mistake, what instument do we have that will measure beyond the speed of light?

so for the billions of dollars that was spent on Cern, we maybe get a little bit faster partical?

great investment in wasted time,energy and money so far, has this fucking thing produced one kilowatt of useable energy yet?

As usual you have completely missed the fucking point moron.

Jesus Christ.

They have measuring equipment now that can break down a second into BILLIONTHS, the neutrinos arrived one 60 billionth of a second faster than the speed of light.

Why I am trying to explain this to a fuckwit who can't even spell the word particle?
(09-24-2011, 04:06 PM)IMaDick Wrote: so for the billions of dollars that was spent on Cern, we maybe get a little bit faster partical?

You have no comprehension how this discovery could change the laws of physics and relativity forever do you?

My god, if you had one brain cell it would die of loneliness.
(09-24-2011, 04:17 PM)White Pud Wrote:
(09-24-2011, 04:06 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Nano seconds, if they didn't make a mistake, what instument do we have that will measure beyond the speed of light?

As usual you have completely missed the fucking point moron.

Jesus Christ.

They have measuring equipment now that can break down a second into BILLIONTHS, the neutrinos arrived one 60 billionth of a second faster than the speed of light.

Why I am trying to explain this to a fuckwit who can't even spell the word particle?

But still limited by the current norm of light speed dipshit, If light speed is the top speed that anything is ever thought to be able to achieve.

How would they develope an instrument that could measure above that?

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

They used GPS positioning to mark points then did the math to see how long it took the neutrinos to travel between points.

They aren't speeding up the particles, it is a particle collider. They accelerate particles and hope they smash into each other to break apart into the fundamental particles.

We thought matter could only reach the speed of light before it turned into pure energy, but now they aren't sure. Neutrinos are fundamental particles like electrons with no charge. They exist independently, not grouped together into matter (as far as I know) except maybe in pairs. They are so small, and electrically neutral, that they pass through matter unnoticed (they go straight through you and me and Earth). They are given off during decay (from nuclear reactions, like the Sun) and travel as radioactive waves (look up beta decay). Theoretically, neutrinos aren't supposed to travel faster than the speed of light because they have negligible, but a tiny bit of, mass.

If you are really interested in particle physics, and how things work in general, this is the best site on the Internet: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html
(09-24-2011, 04:22 PM)White Pud Wrote:
(09-24-2011, 04:06 PM)IMaDick Wrote: so for the billions of dollars that was spent on Cern, we maybe get a little bit faster partical?

You have no comprehension how this discovery could change the laws of physics and relativity forever do you?

My god, if you had one brain cell it would die of loneliness.

unlike you I'm not a moron who doen't understand the simplest of concepts.

I do understand the potential, what I don't seem to be able to get you to understand is light speed has never been exceeded, thus why would or better yet how would an instrument be developed that could measure above what is currently the fastest shit around?

how would it be claibrated.

you know what they used don't you? a fucking stop watch, that's it, they used a stop watch to time this shit.

John Adams

(09-24-2011, 04:22 PM)IMaDick Wrote: But still limited by the current norm of light speed dipshit, If light speed is the top speed that anything is ever thought to be able to achieve.

How would they develope an instrument that could measure above that?

Physics 101 dipshit.

Cracker obviously has infinitely more patience than me.
(09-24-2011, 04:26 PM)IMaDick Wrote: the fastest shit around?

hahhahhahhahhahhahhah

Thank you professor dick.

"What is lightspeed professor dick?"

"Lightspeed is like the fastest shit around dude!"

The bill and ted school of science.

(09-24-2011, 04:30 PM)White Pud Wrote:
(09-24-2011, 04:26 PM)IMaDick Wrote: the fastest shit around?

hahhahhahhahhahhahhah

Thank you professor dick.

"What is lightspeed professor dick?"

"Lightspeed is like the fastest shit around dude!"

The bill and ted school of science.

Did you forget who I was talking to?

I dumbed it down for you.

You see this is what I have been talking about, you only saw half of the problem, just like with your mesmerised take on the supposed 6 nano second mistake that the smart fuckers made.

John Adams

(09-24-2011, 04:35 PM)IMaDick Wrote: half of the problem, smart fuckers.

What problem?!, there is no problem!

America this could be your future, a world where scientists are dismissed as "smart fuckers".
I love the fact that dick is so pig headed he can't just back away when he is so clearly out of his depth, he just grabs a shovel and keeps digging his own hole.
daily fail has an article Pud, here:

'I'll eat my shorts if they're right': Physicist dismisses 'discovery' of particles that can travel faster than the speed of light. hah

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...wrong.html

[Image: article-2040735-0E0A60A900000578-952_634x363.jpg]

(09-24-2011, 04:42 PM)White Pud Wrote: I love the fact that dick is so pig headed he can't just back away when he is so clearly out of his depth, he just grabs a shovel and keeps digging his own hole.

Hey pud, OP, subway cock smoker.

You may just be stupidier than I thought you were, and that's quite an accomplishment.
John Adams

Pfffft.........The speed of light is surpassed everyday at supper around here.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(09-24-2011, 05:04 PM)IMaDick Wrote: stupidier

Nobody at mock is STUPIDER than you dick.

In fact you are the stupidest fucker here.
(09-25-2011, 07:15 AM)White Pud Wrote:
(09-24-2011, 05:04 PM)IMaDick Wrote: stupidier

Nobody at mock is STUPIDER than you dick.

In fact you are the stupidest fucker here.

Right pud sucker.

now get back in your straight jacket before I hit you with the cattle prod again.
John Adams