Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Holiday Cooking
Star 
here they come! the holidays that summon up tastes and aromas and memories of traditional dishes you may have grown up loving. share your favorites old and new ~

[Image: ori__349035045_1088597_English_Johnson_B...latter.jpg]

Here is one of my Fall favorites. I created the recipe based on a soup that was served at a local restaurant.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

First roast the squash:
Ingredients:
1 fairly large Butternut Squash, peeled and cut into rough cubes (about 1 12 inch) (Or you can buy the already cut up Squash found in the produce department you need about 4 cups of squash cubed)
12 cup Orange Juice
13 cup Brown sugar (dark or light)
Dash of ground Cinnamon or one Cinnamon Stick
Drizzle of real maple syrup (optional)

Heat oven to 425, combine the ingredients listed above and place in a baking dish/roasting pan. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour or until tender. (can be made the day ahead)

(I find it easier to peel the squash when it is whole, than cut in half, remove seeds and cut it up. Peeling the squash is the worst part of the recipe)

Second make the soup:
Ingredients:
2 to 4 tablespoons Butter (depending on how fat concerned you are)
1 Leek (white and light green part) chopped (about one cup)
12 Onion chopped (1/2 cup)
1 Granny Smith Apple, cored, peeled and chopped.
2 fresh sage leaves or a pinch of dry
4 Cups Vegetable Stock/Broth or Chicken Stock
Roasted Squash from above
13 cup Heavy Cream (they say it is optional, but I wouldn't leave it out.)
salt
fresh pepper
Cayenne red pepper (optional)

Melt butter in the bottom of a large heavy- bottom pan, medium heat. Add leek, onion and apple and cook for a few minutes, add the sage and cook for a few more minutes. Stir frequently. You want the veggies to be soft but not brown. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Add the roasted squash and cook for 5 minutes. Add the cream and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cool slightly and puree with a hand blender until very smooth. Or puree in batches in a regular blender until smooth.

Reheat if necessary…and eat.

i love butternut squash and that sounds delicious~

a suggestion everyone if i may...
it would be nice, if possible, to see a picture of your dish, "the eye eats first"!

My family loves applesauce, and instead of sugar, I drop a handful of 'red hots'
candy into the mixture for sweetening and flavor. It is beautiful on its own, but the
children usually put marshmallows on the top of it and toast the dish in the oven
right before serving, allowing the marshmallows to puff up and become bronze.
Oh how lovely to put that serving spoon through the melted marshmallow and
find the beautiful pink/red applesauce.
(10-21-2011, 10:16 AM)Harvest Moon Wrote: Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

I've made a variation of this with shrimp~If you plan on serving it at a holiday gathering, I recommend using a cleaned out pumpkin as a serving bowl. You can put a holiday design on the pumpkin by 'peeling' just the orange part of the skin. It makes it look all fancy and shit. Smiley_emoticons_slash
I haven't even thought about this year and what I am doing. I like to do something different every year. Last year I bbq'd the turkey roast with, veges and everything done in the bbq. perfect day.
OK time for me to mention and extol a necessity for Autumn...Bell's Seasoning. stock up now~ Dramaqueen

In 1867, William G. Bell, a Boston inventor and cook, created Bell's Seasoning. A unique combination of rosemary, oregano, sage, ginger, and marjoram - today's blend is unchanged from the original recipe.

For generation after generation, Bell's Seasoning has been the essential ingredient with Holiday turkey, stuffing, and more.

stuffing is blah without it, and so is the skin of the turkey or chicken. once you have used it, it will be a staple in your kitchen.

usually it only appears in the stores this time of year, so i stock up with a bunch of boxes. put LOTS in your stuffings, and after you slather butter on poultry skin, sprinkle it on there too. Smiley_emoticons_biggrin the delicious aroma will drive you crazy!
go get some in the little yellow boxes! stash it in a zipper baggie and it's fine all year.

[Image: 6a00d83451ccbc69e2010536105aed970b-400wi]

turkey time! so do you buy fresh or frozen?

i could go out in my yard and grab a couple wild turkeys, but they are my buddies. hahaha
i only buy fresh, we have a number of local turkey farms around. you order the size you want and then day before pick it up fresh-killed. i think it makes a big difference. i always see people standing in line to collect their big bird.
years ago my mom would only buy frozen Butterballs, but she switched to fresh when we moved to New England. the turkey farm is fabulous, they make the best turkey pot pies you have ever had! yum!

[Image: turkey-feathers.jpg]

a message from turkey---> 86
[Image: Turkey-farm-in-Massachuse-001.jpg]

I buy that puppy frozen. It's more impersonal to me. I don't want to cause the death of my turkey. I buy the biggest one I can find too, usually around 22-24 lbs.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
My employer provides a turkey for each employee every year. They come frozen. I would much prefer fresh, but definitely don't complain about a free turkey! We're planning to deep fry our turkey this year. We have three Thanksgiving dinners, we'll have turkey up the wazoo!
Mr. Bean demonstrates how to stuff a turkey

RATS! IT VANISHED! Smiley_emoticons_slash

LC..did you see this? Now I definately would not buy this to put into my bird, but I never heard of it before this year.

[Image: famousfoods-store_2185_29880944.gif]
i've seen it in the stores for a couple years i think, probably good for a first-time Thanksgiving cook, or on a regular basis when roasting a chicken or whatever. like that stovetop stuff.

being Bell's it probably is pretty good as an everyday side dish.

Ahhh, Thanksgiving is my Fav Holiday. I get to cook for a crowd of 20 to 25 usually. I have an outdoor kitchen on the patio thats covered so no matter the weather I am good to go. I'll be smoking the biggest turkey I can get my hands on and frying 2 13-14 lb birds. The fried ones get some special seasonings injected before going in the oil. Of course a huge pan of dressing and home made giblet gravey. Most of the guests will be bring other side dishes including roasted duck, green bean salad, cheesy mashed potatos, Cranberry, rolls and the list goes on.
There will be many bottles of wine, my home made beer, my home made Bailys and Lots of talking and laughing. Come on by if you get a chance, more the merrier
sounds like a great time SIXFOOTERsez!

so how many of you are having a crowd of guests?

i only have 2 sons here now, so it's easy for me...i roast the biggest turkey i can find and then they watch football. i can relax.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4537]

Well, I have my turkey and cranberries bought. Saturday I am going to buy the sausage and bread for the stuffing. Also will be buying the requisite single sweet potato to bake for my husband. I do not like them, but he should not go without.
Even though it is just the two of us, it will be a nice plesant day.
A guy that lives out in the woods far, far away from the big city lights asked me to provide him with a recipe for eggnog he could use with his duckeggs. I printed one and he was glad he would not have to go to the town library a "lookin fer one". Some you cook....some you don't. Smiley_emoticons_biggrin I feel super powerfull now like spiderman with a big ole chest saying HA HA! You bastards! only because I just put my sweatpants on with no underwear.......
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
i picked up my 22 lb. turkey this morning, his name is fred. poor fred is dead.

[Image: turkey5.gif]

[Image: sucks_to_be_ugly_and_yummy_bro_trollcat.jpg]

My menu for T-day so far:

Turkey (of course)
mashed potatoes and gravy
cornbread dressing (NO, not in the bird's ass, I'm not going down like that)
baked stuffed zucchini (my fav)
baked sweet potatoes (not done up yams, just the spuds with butter and brown sugar if you want)
squash casserole (yellow crook neck, have to make it, Georgia)
potato salad
green beans (pole beans, for you folks that know what that means)
green bean casserole (with the fucking soup and fried onions because my kids would shit if it didn't appear)
cranberry sauce with cream cheese and nuts (Paula Deen, dammit)
marinated mushrooms (butter and other bad stuff simmered in the crockpot all day)
rolls
relish tray
chocolate pie and no-bake cheesecake for dessert (no pumpkin fans around, may buy a frozen pumpkin pie out of guilt)

I think that's it. That should be enough. Smiley_emoticons_smile
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
what time? sounds great!

i like pecan pie and pumpkin. i had a wicked horrible aunt who is deader than fred now, who would buy nasty store-bought pecan pies then burn them so we'd think she made them. ick. every fucking year.