Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
eat your veggies!
Bug 
so who doesn't eat their veggies? that's a spanking! Bottom1

i don't mean mushy canned veggies, but fresh. what are your favorites? i love most of them, including a Fall/Winter crop that many people don't like. but if you do your Brussels sprouts right, they're delicious. (a traditional British Christmas dinner simply wouldn't be right without sprouts.)

here's a simple method that might change your mind about them.

a tip, whatever i do with them, i cut a cross into the tough end, it helps them to cook completely.

[Image: A-Veggie-Venture-How-to-Cut-Brussels-Spr...755210.JPG]

Sautéed Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
Servings: 6-8

1 12 pounds Brussels sprouts
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 ounces pancetta (or bacon), finely chopped
12 cup balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Parmigiano-Reggiano (shred or grate)

1. Trim the Brussels sprouts and discard any damaged outside leaves.
2. Using a food processor, force the sprouts a few at a time through the chute with the blade in motion. You should have about 8 cups of shredded sprouts.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring often, until very lightly browned 3-5 minutes. Add the sprouts and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Pour in the vinegar and increase the heat to high. Season with salt and pepper and stir until the vinegar has evaporated. Top with cheese.

on the stalk. many farmstands have them this way, and i grow them too.
[Image: bsprouts-400.jpg]

share some veggie ideas?

I like most vegetables except for lima beans & okra. *ick*
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I'm starting my vegetables today and now need to run out and get some brussel sprout eggs.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I like raw vegetables or roasted veggies in the oven in a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.

I have been wanting to try the low carb cauliflower fake mashed potatoes. Anybody make those? Are they shit?
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
I'm calling bullshit on Maggot.

He is not running anywhere, I bet that fucker takes a car to get the brussel sprout eggs.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

I garden but fuck all if I knew they were termed eggs. I've only ever purchased them in cell packs.
(02-18-2012, 12:45 PM)Maggot Wrote: I'm starting my vegetables today and now need to run out and get some brussel sprout eggs.

i think Maggot made that up. hah

you're starting your seedlings inside now? the poor gardening thread has been dead all winter. Smiley_emoticons_razz i'll be glad to see it come back soon.

(02-18-2012, 01:42 PM)Cracker Wrote: I like raw vegetables or roasted veggies in the oven in a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.

I have been wanting to try the low carb cauliflower fake mashed potatoes. Anybody make those? Are they shit?

I love cauliflower in place of potatoes. Yum! I love veggies! Smiley_emoticons_smile Cabbage is my favorite as well as squash. I dislike carrots. Ewww! I like my veggies steamed, fresh, or roasted with olive oil. Smiley_emoticons_biggrin
I like calling them eggs. Fuck youz. 105
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(02-18-2012, 01:42 PM)Cracker Wrote: I like raw vegetables or roasted veggies in the oven in a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Pure cauliflower was too mushy but 23 potatoes to 13 cauliflower was ok.

Commando Cunt Queen
(02-18-2012, 02:47 PM)username Wrote: Pure cauliflower was too mushy but 23 potatoes to 13 cauliflower was ok.

I figured they weren't as good as potatoes. I'll just stick with the spuds.

This sounds good, though:

Mock Macaroni and Cheese

Minutes to Prepare: 10Minutes to Cook: 15Number of Servings: 12

Ingredients
Three 16 oz bags frozen cauliflower florets

1 34 cup half & half
8 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces (very important if microwaving)
2 12 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 12 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, plus 34 cup for topping the casserole
12 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (I like McCormick Hot Shot as well)
12 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions
Equipment: 9 by 12-inch baking dish, 1.5 qt saucepot, 8 qt pot

Set aside 34 cup cheese.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add cauliflower. Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well.

Transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish and set aside.

Microwave remaining ingredients (except for the cheese for topping), stirring often, until smooth. (You can also cook in a small saucepot on the stove).

Pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine. Top with the remaining 34 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly hot, about 15 minutes.

(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
Oh fuck!!! 70 That sounds so good to me! I want it right.now. Damn, Saturday dinners are always iffy but if I cook tonight, I might just make that. Yum.
Commando Cunt Queen
I don't like me veggies 54.
tsk tsk, Sally. What about salads? I have salad almost every day.

I'm printing out that recipe...Nom. I'm going to use 2% cheese and reduced fat cream cheese so it'll be totally healthy. Ha!
Commando Cunt Queen
I actually love vegetables. I was just pretending to be a fat kid named Gustav.
Cooked spinach in light olive oil with pine nuts, that's my favorite vegetable dish. I love marinara sauce but don't want all of the carbs and calories of the spaghetti noodles, so I use french cut string beans instead and add some chili peppers.
(02-18-2012, 06:28 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Cooked spinach in light olive oil with pine nuts, that's my favorite vegetable dish. I love marinara sauce but don't want all of the carbs and calories of the spaghetti noodles, so I use french cut string beans instead and add some chili peppers.

Have you tried spaghetti squash instead of pasta? It's really good with marinara or puttanesca sauce.

(02-18-2012, 06:16 PM)sally Wrote: I actually love vegetables. I was just pretending to be a fat kid named Gustav.

hah

(02-18-2012, 07:04 PM)sally Wrote:
(02-18-2012, 06:28 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Cooked spinach in light olive oil with pine nuts, that's my favorite vegetable dish. I love marinara sauce but don't want all of the carbs and calories of the spaghetti noodles, so I use french cut string beans instead and add some chili peppers.

Have you tried spaghetti squash instead of pasta? It's really good with marinara or puttanesca sauce.

No, but I'll give it a try. Sounds good.

Added: Just looked it up. This dish looks delicious.

[Image: search?q=spaghetti+squash&id=DD76CA73310...ORM=IQFRBA]

[Image: spaghetti-squash-recipes.jpg]

Here's that spaghetti squash dish that I tried to link above.