IS THIS DUMB OR COMMON PRACTICE?

What follows are a couple examples of detention slips. C'mon! Aren't kids even allowed a giggle during class anymore? I think it's totally messed up to expect 100% concentration in class, I think there is room for the occasional laugh.

One student who is apparently a fan of the Hunger Games shouted, "that is mahogany" when another student dropped a book on a desk.

Another kid called his teacher a "muggle"...isn't that from Harry Potter? Cracker will know. I thought Harry Potter stuff was a good thing.

Do you parents have the expectation that your children's classes be really tight & structured? Is there room for fun?

I don't think an uptight atmosphere is conducive to anything.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I think there's a lot of leeway going on at school. My son just graduated from a private Catholic school, and I know there was plenty of fooling around that went on.

I'm certainly in favor of allowing some classroom banter. I wouldn't want it so strict that it was like a prison.
I think if you give an inch in the classroom the kids will take a mile. I went on a field trip with my daughter's class yesterday. I wanted to smack a few of the kids that kept goofing off. Yeah it's nice to have a laugh but then everyone wants to be a comedian.
Commando Cunt Queen
I think they are off the chart with the kids behavior. If they change seats on the bus, they get a referral. IF they are too loud, they get a referral. If they are goofing around at the lunch table, they get a referral. There is a time and place for the kids to be serious and to pay attention. But the schools today are a bit over the top.

This is weird though - at my son's middle school some kid keeps writing bomb threats on the bathroom wall. Emails and letters get sent saying how serious this is and it's a felony. They caught one kids a few months ago but it's happening again. What is wrong with this kid???? How much clearer does the administration have to make it that the person responsible will suffer serious consequences???? After the first one I told my son he better not have anything to do with it of I would make him sorry he was born. And if he knew who was involved, he better let someone know. The school has to be put on lockdown. The state police have to come with dogs to make sure the school is secure. It's a nightmare.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
I'm glad I'm not in school today, I had teachers that expressed a desire that we all be different with different personalities, today they want robots.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

(04-06-2012, 04:10 PM)IMaDick Wrote: I'm glad I'm not in school today, I had teachers that expressed a desire that we all be different with different personalities, today they want robots.

Yeah, well back when you were in school, if they didn't like your particular personality that day, they could whack your hand with a ruler.
Commando Cunt Queen
I think the classrooms need to be strict but some of the rules are over the top...

When my son was in 4th grade, a friend of his said "that's so gay" to another little boy at recess. My son's friend had never been in trouble and they suspended him for a day. C'mon, he was only in 4th grade (barely understood what he was saying) and "that's gay" doesn't necessarily mean you're calling someone a homo FFS.

Half of what aussie posts is gay but I don't necessarily think she's a lesbo although...*scratches head*
Commando Cunt Queen
Serioulsy?

It's a little different experience when you work in Title I schools with 80% free lunch. I have been called every name in the book by kids, some I wrote up, some I used for leverage to get better behavior or work completed. Most I let slide. When an adult tells you to fuck off, you can fight back or walk away. When a kid does, a kid that loves you, it just makes you profoundly sad. That's all they know. That's how they respond to frustration or disappointment.

Yes, we are Muggles. Except for Maggot. I think he might be magic or at least have magic herbs.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(04-06-2012, 03:49 PM)username Wrote: I think if you give an inch in the classroom the kids will take a mile. I went on a field trip with my daughter's class yesterday. I wanted to smack a few of the kids that kept goofing off. Yeah it's nice to have a laugh but then everyone wants to be a comedian.

A field trip is a far cry from the classroom! Field trip's are supposed to be fun, (sort of a reward for the kids) taking a break form the classroom.
Most only are a kid for a short time.
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

It was a tour. They were goofing off and talking while the guide was trying to speak. Not cool IMO. They're 7th graders; old enough to be able to hold it together for awhile.
Commando Cunt Queen
(04-06-2012, 04:13 PM)username Wrote:
(04-06-2012, 04:10 PM)IMaDick Wrote: I'm glad I'm not in school today, I had teachers that expressed a desire that we all be different with different personalities, today they want robots.

Yeah, well back when you were in school, if they didn't like your particular personality that day, they could whack your hand with a ruler.

A ruler, I laugh in the face of the teacher that pulled a ruler, the principle had a sawed off boat oar with plenty of air holes in it and the swat was done in front of the class.

That shit works I'm tellin ya, These fucking robots that are being raised today will be the biggest fuck ups this world has ever seen..
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Got a story for you. My little one has been going sailing on Wednesdays with 'after school carers'. I went to pick my little one up the other day and was told that bubby had made the remark to the instructor "excuse me, you have a big head". She got into trouble with the carer. When I was told, I oops actually laughed. I told bubby that nothing was wrong. Kids are kids and come out with funny things and silly things. It's so cute.
The examples you gave, Duchess, are pretty stupid reasons to get a detention-if it was the first offense for the occurrence.

For all we know-that may have been the 20th kid to interrupt the class by yelling Mahogany, or calling a teacher muggle.

Schools get questioned for every disciplinary move they make today-they really don't have the authority anymore to keep 30+ hellions per class under control.

Check this story from :http://www.wmur.com/news/30821934/detail.html

NORTHWOOD, N.H. -- Parents and Northwood School administrators argued over the punishment sixth-graders accused of vandalism were getting.

The assistant principal required sixth-graders to carry the entire contents of their lockers in their backpacks after discovering that lockers were vandalized.

Some students complained about the heavy load in their backpacks. Parents said, however, that they are not upset about the heavy backpacks but more on the ridicule the children were getting.

Parents said they feel that students who were not guilty of vandalism were subject to public ridicule within the school -- a kind that some argue rose to the level of bullying. School officials have not determined the culprit of the bullying yet.

"These kids were harassed and bullied by seventh- and eighth-graders when they were made to carry those backpacks. That's pretty unfair, and those teachers were standing right there when it was happening," said parent Janet Delfuoco.

Some parents said their kids came home and told them it was their sense the assistant principal didn't want them discussing what happened.

"He was told in an assembly sometime Friday or Thursday, 'Let's put all this behind us and not to talk about it. Let's not be Chatty Cathys.' My son took that as he couldn't come home and tell his parents," said parent Michael Norwood.

Assistant principal Lisa Labella said the backpack-carrying lasted longer than she intended because she needed time to investigate the vandalism.

"It was not a punishment, and it was not meant to be a punishment," Labella said.

Other parents backed up the administration and said what Labella did was appropriate.

Some school board members said they didn't have a problem with the book-carrying. They went on to discuss the incident at length in a non-public session, behind closed doors.

"Whether this was the right decision or wrong decision to handle it, we'll decide that," school board member Dave Ruth.

The school board said it will conduct d a larger public meeting on the issue in the near future.

Would you, as a parent, question the schools' authority in this case?
Or does it come down to parents being to lazy to teach their kids respect and expect the teachers to it for them.
I think kids are kids and you need to give them some room to be themselves and grow and express themselves. Most kids behave way better at school than they do at home.
(04-06-2012, 05:08 PM)IMaDick Wrote: That shit works I'm tellin ya, These fucking robots that are being raised today will be the biggest fuck ups this world has ever seen..

Yeah of course the current generation in school will be the worst ever because none of your kids are at school.

Your generation will be known as the abusive generation, a generation who could only control their children with the threat of physical violence.

In fact we currently have a generation of "violet" children, a large number of naturally gifted kids, so stick that in your pipe and smoke dickhead you judgemental cunt.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(04-08-2012, 12:05 PM)Cynical Ninja Wrote:
(04-06-2012, 05:08 PM)IMaDick Wrote: That shit works I'm tellin ya, These fucking robots that are being raised today will be the biggest fuck ups this world has ever seen..

Yeah of course the current generation in school will be the worst ever because none of your kids are at school.

Your generation will be known as the abusive generation, a generation who could only control their children with the threat of physical violence.

In fact we currently have a generation of "violet" children, a large number of naturally gifted kids, so stick that in your pipe and smoke dickhead you judgemental cunt.

What a shock.
John Adams

"violet" children, pftt let's hope they all drown.

stick them and your liberal bullshit "timeouts" up your ass
'Duchess Wrote:Yes, I like apples, so do my horses & so do the deer that I buy apples for because they have stripped my fruit trees bare.

Lay it on me. Smiley_emoticons_razz

~Gogo~

Divine Friend of MOCK FORUMS

Corporal punishment in school as a way of dealing with kids behavior?

Just once, and then I'd be having said teacher arrested for assault. Only parents have that right, and btw it isn't a right. An adult who hits a child for any reason is abusive.

I raised three kids to adults and they're all happy, healthy productive adults. I had the same problems every parent has with them growing up and I never resorted to physical abuse in the form of corporal punishment to get my message across.

Grounding me by taking away my social life & everything that entailed was the perfect way to get me to straighten up & fly right.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]