Mark Valeski
Prospective
Reveron
Rousing Sermon
Sabercat
Take Charge Indy
Union Rags
Went The Day Well

My personal fav right now is Daddy Long Legs. He's a three yr. old & has earnings of $1,294,030.00, he's the second biggest money maker in the Derby with Hanson coming in first with winnings over a million & a half.

This is Daddy Long Legs

[Image: contender-daddy-long-legs.jpg]
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
ooooo pretty! [Image: 2j2u60y.gif]

The two-year-old champion colt named Hansen will not be the favorite in the Kentucky Derby on May 5, but most eyes will unavoidably be upon him. You see, in a field of chestnuts and bays, Hansen is a brilliant white. Well, technically he's a gray, but without boring you with equine pigmentation detail, thoroughbred grays, like the great Native Dancer, turn whiter as they grow older, and Hansen is simply prematurely white. To emphasize the alabaster, his owner wanted to dye his tail blue for the Blue Grass Stakes, but the stick-in-the-mud racing officials thought that was tacky.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/wr...z1tpBKbGKQ

[Image: HANsenHEADshot.jpg]

[Image: Hansen-Coglianese-500x400.jpg]

I was at Churchill Downs standing at the finish line filming the 2008 Kentucky Derby. Big Brown won the race by nearly 5 lengths. Eight Belles had heart . She crossed the finish line second only to be put down minutes later after fracturing both front ankles while galloping out. It is believed to be the first fatality in Kentucky Derby history.

Here she is marching in the parade of contestants while the crowd sang "Old Kentucky Home".

[Image: 5-3-201212-43-18PM.jpg]

This video clip is of her crossing the finish line behind 'Big Brown' the 2008 Derby winner and favorite. He is center screen and you can see her nose at far left. Click on it to play. I have edited out the gruesome event that followed.

[Image: th_Untitledr.jpg]

I remember that, Zero. So sad & awful. Wah
I know nothing about horse racing. Can we talk about mint juleps?.

Vomit inducing. hah
(05-03-2012, 06:32 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Vomit inducing. hah

Only if that's all you drink all night. Two hours before and two after is just about right.

Its the sugar, like Southern Comfort.

Variety is the spice of life.
For every 10 patrons there is a vendor selling mint juleps in commemorative glasses on Oaks and Derby days. After three I forgot what race it was. And after 5 we ventured thru a tunnel to the inner grounds where it looked like a war zone complete with street fights.
track is sloppy. heavy rain overnight.

they're off at 6:34 eastern.

got your fancy Derby hat on Duchess?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4782]

(05-05-2012, 11:45 AM)Lady Cop Wrote: got your fancy Derby hat on Duchess?

No, it used to be a day of partying but now I don't even go to a local track to watch any more unless a trainer and/or owner that's known to us has a horse in.
some photos from this morning:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...torms.html

almost time. have a pick? i haven't picked one yet, i haven't seen the field. turning on NBC now.
i always pick wrong anyway. hah

(CNN) -- Accented by a blue, clearing sky, the twin spires at Churchill Downs towered Saturday afternoon over fancy hats, mint juleps and bettors making their final choices in one of the strongest fields in recent Kentucky Derby history.

Among the favorites in the 138th running of the Derby are Union Rags, trained by Michael Matz of Barbaro fame, at 5-1; Bodemeister, 6-1; Gemologist, 8-1; Take Charge Indy, 10-1; and Hansen, 13-1.

A crowd of revelers expected to swell to about 165,000 began arriving hours before the 6:24 p.m. ET post time, securing their seats for what's called either "the most exciting two minutes in sports" or "the fastest two minutes in sports."

Nearly $1.5 million of the $2.2 million purse will go to the winner of the 1ΒΌ-mile classic.
History of the Kentucky Derby History of the Kentucky Derby
Hats off to the races Hats off to the races

Nicknamed the "Run for the Roses" for the garland that is draped over the winner, the Kentucky Derby traces its rich history back to 1875, when Col. Meriwether Lewis Clark Jr. decided to inaugurate a race in his home state of Kentucky.

riders up!! and My Old Kentucky Home! exciting!

i like the #1 Daddy Longlegs

and the white horse Hansen just for fun.

it's 'I'LL HAVE ANOTHER'~ first try at the Derby.
a Mexican jockey up for cinco de mayo~
Mario Gutierrez

[Image: fghfgj.jpg]
hah
PREAKNESS TODAY AT PIMLICO

you should be there Duchess!

who do you like?

Cozzetti can't win, but i always like the grey. hah [Image: 2j2u60y.gif]

You can catch the 137th running of the Preakness Stakes at 4:30 EDT Saturday on NBC

[Image: 2012TC_Bio_Cozzetti_AP.jpg]

[Image: cozzetti.jpg]

whoever won the Derby should destroy this field, according to the scuttlebutt. I had forgotten. I love horse races, especially big ones.

Although schmaltzy it's one of the reasons I loved Secretariat (the movie) and I just went apeshit over Luck, thought that was one of the best horse race stories ever.

What's post time, like 6pm?
(05-19-2012, 01:49 PM)Ma Huang Sor Wrote: whoever won the Derby should destroy this field, according to the scuttlebutt. I had forgotten. I love horse races, especially big ones.

Although schmaltzy it's one of the reasons I loved Secretariat (the movie) and I just went apeshit over Luck, thought that was one of the best horse race stories ever.

What's post time, like 6pm?

Coverage starts around 3-3:30, post time for that particular race will be around 6:18 EST.

Almost half the field is a long shot today.