Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Sandwiches
One of my favorite hot sandwiches to make when I have company; the potato chip crust makes them really really good. I have a couple of weekend guests coming over the next few weeks so will be making more quick cheap meals between restaurant outings and not worrying about carbs and such. Any favorite/unique sandwich ideas to share (hot or cold, meat or meatless)?

Crunchy Grilled Meat & Cheese
[Image: exps31271_CFT943311D1.jpg]

Ingredients
•1 tablespoon butter, softened (or use mayo to grill)
•4 slices white bread
•1 tablespoon mustard
•4 slices thinly cut cheese of choice
•2 slices deli ham or turkey or roast beef (1 ounce each)
•1/2 medium tomato, thinly sliced (optional)
•2 eggs, lightly beaten
•2 tablespoons milk
•1/8 teaspoon onion powder
•1 cup crushed ridged potato chips

Directions
•Butter/mayo one side of each slice of bread. Spread mustard over the unbuttered side of two slices; layer each with one slice of cheese, ham, tomato, remaining cheese and remaining bread, buttered side up.
• In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and onion powder. Place potato chips in another bowl. Dip each sandwich into egg mixture, then coat with potato chips.
• In a large nonstick skillet or griddle coated with cooking spray, toast sandwiches for 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
2 sandwiches.
My favorite sandwich is the Reuben.

Sandwich ingredients:
2 Tbsp butter, softened
8 slices rye bread
8 slices Swiss cheese
34 lb corned beef brisket, thinly sliced
12 lb sauerkraut
14 cup Russian Dressing

Russian Dressing:

Combine the following ingredients. Makes one-half cup.
13 cup mayonnaise
1 12 Tbsp ketchup
1 12 teaspoons prepared horseradish
12 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Method

1 Butter one side of four slices of bread, and place the slices buttered-side down on a large piece of wax paper on a flat surface. Top each with a slice of Swiss cheese, and then divide half of the corned beef among them.

2 Using paper towels, squeeze out excess moisture from the sauerkraut. Divide the sauerkraut among the sandwiches, and top each with one tablespoon of Russian dressing. Add another layer of corned beef and a second slice of Swiss cheese to each sandwich. Top with the remaining bread slices; butter the side facing out.

3 Preheat a griddle or frying pan to medium heat. Cook the sandwiches on one side until the bread is golden brown. Use a spatula to carefully flip the sandwiches over and finish cooking on the second side. Cut the sandwiches in half before serving.

Serve with a side of coleslaw.

Yield: Make 4 sandwiches.
i love the Reuben and the Cuban sandwiches! yum, i got hooked on the Cubans & Cuban bread in Miami.

but...i must contribute my local favorite, the New England LOBSTER ROLL! it's not summer without them~

there are many variations of this classic between Cape Cod and the rocky coasts of NH and Maine.

1 tablespoon butter, softened
4 hot dog buns or kaiser rolls, split
4 lettuce leaves
1 12 pounds cooked and cubed lobster meat
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1 dash hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™)
2 green onions, chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 pinch dried basil, parsley or tarragon

Directions
toast those buns!
Lightly butter the insides of the buns or rolls and line with lettuce leaves. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, lime juice, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper until well blended. Mix in the green onion and celery, then lightly mix in the lobster so it just gets coated without falling apart.
Stuff the lobster filling into the buns and sprinkle parsley, basil or tarragon lightly over the filling.

[Image: 0044-1024x768.jpg]

[Image: 0054-1024x768.jpg]

MMMM that lobster roll looks food.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
I swear to GOD, food is the best communion, period.
I love lobster rolls.

I stole these from my favorite restuarant at the mall and make them at home sometimes.

Blue Max
Triple decker corned beef, pastrami, swiss, sauerkraut and blue cheese dressing served warm on pumpernickel.

Cajun Dutchman
roast beef, smoked gouda, polish ham, bacon and cajun sauce served warm on pumpernickel.

New Yorker
Pastrami, corned beef, saurkraut, swiss, cheddar cheese and horseraddish sauce warm on rye.

French Connection
Black forest ham and melted brie on a croissant
Had lunch at the Sycamore today. It's a little dive bar/restaurant. Their signature plate is "pork belly donuts". Never had them before; effin' delicious.

Sally and Maggot might really like these; they're not exactly sandwiches, or an entree, or a desert - kind of a combo.

I don't know how they make the donut outside, but inside is pulled pork where and they're topped with a maple syrup and Makers Mark glaze, Sounds like a weird combo, but amazing taste and great with a beer.
Revisiting this thread makes me hungry. I want someone to make me a samwich dammit!
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Runny fried eggs are a big thing on sandwiches now, everything from burgers to clubs.

I was looking for a sandwich and I found this thread. *drools*
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(05-02-2012, 03:56 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: My favorite sandwich is the Reuben.

Sandwich ingredients:
2 Tbsp butter, softened
8 slices rye bread
8 slices Swiss cheese
12 lb sauerkraut
14 cup Russian Dressing

Russian Dressing:

13 cup mayonnaise
1 12 Tbsp ketchup
Salt, to taste

Method

1 Butter one side of four slices of bread, and place the slices buttered-side down on a large piece of wax paper on a flat surface. Top each with a slice of Swiss cheese, and then divide half of the corned beef among them.

2 Using paper towels, squeeze out excess moisture from the sauerkraut. Divide the sauerkraut among the sandwiches, and top each with one tablespoon of Russian dressing. Add another layer of corned beef and a second slice of Swiss cheese to each sandwich. Top with the remaining bread slices; butter the side facing out.

3 Preheat a griddle or frying pan to medium heat. Cook the sandwiches on one side until the bread is golden brown. Use a spatula to carefully flip the sandwiches over and finish cooking on the second side. Cut the sandwiches in half before serving.

Seriously, you posted a Reuben recipe? Everyone knows how to make a Reuben, you fat fuck. Even Duchess. What are you going to post next, how to make a pb&j.
To tell you the truth I don't even know what goes into a Reuben sandwich. I don't even think I've ever eaten one. I have had a Monti Cristo though.
(03-23-2017, 03:24 PM)sally Wrote:
(05-02-2012, 03:56 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: My favorite sandwich is the Reuben.

Sandwich ingredients:
2 Tbsp butter, softened
8 slices rye bread
8 slices Swiss cheese
12 lb sauerkraut
14 cup Russian Dressing

Russian Dressing:

13 cup mayonnaise
1 12 Tbsp ketchup
Salt, to taste

Method

Seriously, you posted a Reuben recipe? Everyone knows how to make a Reuben, you fat fuck. Even Duchess. What are you going to post next, how to make a pb&j.

Well I could have posted The Clang Special sandwich but its kinda gross. It's made up of head cheese, salami, liverwurst, cream cheese, sandwich dill pickles, bean sprouts, bleu cheese dressing and Italian bread.
If you took out the head cheese and liverwurst it would probably be pretty good.

Also, and I think I've asked you this before (maybe I dreamed it) but are you confusing bean sprouts with alfalfa sprouts? Bean sprouts are thicker and more likely to be found in a stir fry and alfalfa sprouts are thin and what you would typically find in a salad or sandwich.
(03-23-2017, 06:22 PM)sally Wrote: If you took out the head cheese and liverwurst it would probably be pretty good.

Also, and I think I've asked you this before (maybe I dreamed it) but are you confusing bean sprouts with alfalfa sprouts? Bean sprouts are thicker and more likely to be found in a stir fry and alfalfa sprouts are thin and what you would typically find in a salad or sandwich.

You might be right. Its been years since I made the sandwich. I just remember sometime of sprouts on the sandwich, I remember them as bean sprouts, but I could be wrong.

I'd probably have to do without the head cheese anyway. I don't know any butcher shops or delis that sell it here in Watervliet.
Stop messing with Sally's encyclopedic food preparation skills Clang. She will wrap you so tight you'll look like a cartoon thermometer exploding.
(03-24-2017, 10:48 AM)Maggot Wrote: Stop messing with Sally's encyclopedic food preparation skills Clang. She will wrap you so tight you'll look like a cartoon thermometer exploding.

No can do. Messing with sally is one of the few joys in my life.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Lobster rolls.Hibye
(05-02-2017, 12:08 PM)Maggot Wrote: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Lobster rolls.Hibye

They do sound good. Never had one other than McDonald's sad excuse for one. Too much lettuce, not enough lobster....especially for the price they were charging.
Could you stuff an entire one into your mouth?