Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
'scuse me while i RETCH
By Margery Eagan

On this Mother’s Day, I’m here to report: We can all ignore the nutty parenting advice of this gorgeous, skinny Valley Girl on Time magazine’s cover who’s posed her almost 4-year-old with his lips on her breast while his wide eyes stare out toward all of America.

And all of America is cringing. No, amend that. America’s women are cringing. Men are feeling something else.

In any case, this image is everywhere now, and millions of already guilt-propelled, insecure new mothers are hearing that nagging little voice: Maybe my babies would turn out better if I do what this breathless blonde does. That is, carry babies in slings 24/7, nurse them until senior prom and let them sleep with daddy and me until they’ve got bedmates of their own. And maybe even after that!

Ms. Jamie Lynne Grumet, 26, from California (of course) says she and her husband are “intimate” while their kids sleep right next to them.

(Ick.)

She also says her accommodating husband routinely comes to their family bed with a breast pump and does the pumping for her.

(Double ick. Or, perhaps, depending on one’s perspective, pretty kinky. There’s more than a whiff here of something unwholesome.)

In fairness, however, I must note that Ms. Grumet does not usually nurse her son when he’s standing up on a chair. She cradles him, she explains on her obnoxious I’m-a-better-mother-than-you-are blog, titled “I am Not the Babysitter.”

Oh, shut up.

Ms. Grumet is a proponent of one of the latest rages in child rearing. That’s “attachment parenting,” the brainchild of pediatrician William Sears. He says breast-feeding till whatever age, “wearing” babies in slings and co-sleeping produce happier, healthier kids.”

Friday on the “Today” show, Ms. Grumet explained this ditzily while preschooler Grumet Jr. squirmed nonstop, thus letting us speculate, ignorantly, on whether he’s as spoiled bratty as he looks. Meanwhile, Dr. Sears said that were we all natives on some Caribbean isle, living in nature with no parenting books, blogs or psychologists, we’d all raise our kids this way.

And that’s swell.

But who lives in nature on crowded Caribbean isles anymore, including Caribbeans?

The big winner here is Time magazine. Millions of men have examined this picture very, very closely. Women who actually wanted to read Ms. Grumet’s annoying story confronted an online pay wall. You either headed out to buy Time or paid a minimum of $4.99 for a trial subscription. I regret to say, I paid.

I am, however, grateful that I became a mother back in the dark ages when there were only a handful of parenting books, your own mother and mother-in-law to undermine your confidence at every turn. That’s why I adored the late, much-maligned Dr. Spock, whose mantra was “trust yourself.”

But that’s all over now.

Here’s my Mother’s Day two cents for all you new mothers, now that there’s a zillion “Oh No! Watch Out!!!” mothering blogs detailing how you’re ruining your child.

Don’t read ’em.

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/columni...1061131224

[Image: 0510-time-nursing-mom-1.jpg]

I AGREE with you LC
is there any intelligent life out there??

(05-13-2012, 03:38 AM)Lady Cop Wrote: is there any intelligent life out there??

hah I'm not sure if I qualify, but I will say that I agree with your post. I think you follow your instincts and your heart when raising children, and get tips from trusted loved ones. I honestly can't see how Dr. Sears's method of breast-feeding, slinging, and sleeping with children well past toddlerhood is supposed to produce more confident and independent children/adults. Seems it would have just the opposite effect, to me. Bet he's making a mint; just another "guru" playin' those who wish to be on the cutting edge and better than the rest. Probably a big market there.

I'm not a mom, but I raised two children. No "guru" required.
There is a mom on this mom's board I am on and she BF'd her son until he was FIVE. I am so disgusted and disturbed by that. I don't dare express my true feelings there because I think I would get my ass handed to me by the other mom's. But like I said before, when the kids can walk, talk, eat real food, and ask mom for a glass of milk he shouldn't be breastfeeding. When you have to bring the cookie to the milk instead of the other way around, something ain't right.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Hasn't she got a husband that can fulfill that role?

Come on, that is not helping anyone, particularly the breastfeeding movement which seeks to fight against the sexualisation of breastfeeding. That is a clear demonstration of attention seeking not breast feeding. Get a job.
711 killed the forum!!! Smiley_emoticons_shocked.........Come back motherfuckers!!!
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
'scuse me LC, but I assume when you say retch you mean dry reach?
hah
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Breastfeeding is stupid nowadays and if you want your kids to grow up with half a chance you won't do it, much less do it untill they're 10.
(05-13-2012, 09:29 PM)sally Wrote: Breastfeeding is stupid nowadays and if you want your kids to grow up with half a chance you won't do it, much less do it untill they're 10.

I disagree. Breastfeeding is important for the physical and psychological health of the infant. Extending it to the limits shown on 'TIME' is controversial.
(05-13-2012, 09:29 PM)sally Wrote: Breastfeeding is stupid

oh dear
(05-13-2012, 09:45 PM)aussiefriend Wrote:

oh dear

Trust me, fatty, organic formula is far superior than any of the shit you were shoveling into your mouth that caused you to need the gastric bypass. Go ahead and give the baby some more meds and pesticides.

I decided not to breastfeed my sons. The first one did fine with baby formula, but the second one almost died because of so many allergies/reactions to different formulas. Of course, it was too late to breastfeed since I received the injection in the hospital to "dry up breast milk".

He (and I) went through torture for the first month of his life - 2 different pediatricians told me he would not make it. He has suffered from numerous allergies and asthma (and still does) after that first horrible month.

If I had only known, I would have breastfed without a doubt. Not stupid in my opinion. (unless you are the lady on the cover of the magazine)
(05-13-2012, 09:54 PM)sally Wrote: Trust me, fatty, organic formula is far superior than any of the shit you were shoveling into your mouth that caused you to need the gastric bypass. Go ahead and give the baby some more meds and pesticides.

I am busy, I have a life. I don't have time to present researched documents to prove the benefits of breastfeeding. If you want to believe otherwise go for it. What does scientific research know anyway? You know it all.

Also by calling me fatty and trying to get personal you lost straight away. The sad thing, is you are walking around thinking that your shit doesn't stink.
(05-14-2012, 12:02 AM)aussiefriend Wrote:
(05-13-2012, 09:54 PM)sally Wrote: Trust me, fatty, organic formula is far superior than any of the shit you were shoveling into your mouth that caused you to need the gastric bypass. Go ahead and give the baby some more meds and pesticides.

The sad thing, is you are walking around thinking that your shit doesn't stink.

The sad thing is that fucking comma.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

(05-14-2012, 12:56 AM)IMaDick Wrote:
(05-14-2012, 12:02 AM)aussiefriend Wrote:

The sad thing, is you are walking around thinking that your shit doesn't stink.

The sad thing is that fucking comma.
It's ok she won't notice. by the way you put the comma in the wrong place Dr Dick Phd hah

Hahaha!

Dick, someone has to tell you this. Almost every single post of yours is fucked up in some way yet, incredibly, you attempt to correct others. It makes you look like a goddamn retard to most people. Just stop. I'm embarrassed for you on occasion.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(05-14-2012, 04:55 AM)Duchess Wrote:

Hahaha!

Dick, someone has to tell you this. Almost every single post of yours is fucked up in some way yet, incredibly, you attempt to correct others. It makes you look like a goddamn retard to most people. Just stop. I'm embarrassed for you on occasion.

So? that shit doesn't make their post right does it?
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

"rght"?