Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Does anyone know anything about kale?
I keep hearing great things about this stuff. Particularly people yakking about juicing it. Does anyone have a recipe or two you've tried for cooking with it?
i make a great kale soup i have posted somewhere, i'll have to try to find it. a very hearty winter meal and delicious!

photos at link. this is really good!

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/issues/201...-kale-soup

Preparation Time: 20 minutes

Start to Finish Time: 60 minutes

Yield: 8 servings

Ruth learned to make this Portuguese kale soup from her mother, who in turn learned it from her adoptive mother. "My mother always used white beans or dark beans, whatever she had," Ruth explains, "but probably 50 years ago, I started adding the 'Bean with Bacon' soup instead of beans. It's what gives this soup its flavor." In addition, what makes this recipe distinctly Portuguese is the linguica–a spicy sausage available in markets on Cape Cod, on the South Shore, and around Boston, but sometimes hard to find elsewhere. If linguica isn't available in your area, use hot sausage or kielbasa.

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves
2 medium-size onions, chopped
1 pound linguiça, sliced, slices halved
4 cups chicken broth
1 pound fresh kale, washed, stems discarded, shredded into small pieces
1 can Campbell's "Bean with Bacon" soup plus 1 can water (or substitute 1 can white beans plus 2 cups chicken broth)
2 large potatoes, peeled, cubed (russets or your preference)
Kosher or sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, add oil and cook garlic, onions, and linguiça slices until onions are soft. Add 4 cups chicken broth and kale. Cover, and let kale cook down, stirring occasionally.

Add bean soup and water (or substitute beans and broth); simmer about 5 minutes. (Add more water if the mixture's not dilute enough.) Add cubed potatoes. Simmer, covered, 20-30 minutes longer, till potatoes are soft.

Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot with crusty bread.

McKale's Navy?
Yeah, that dude done died Bro.
The dude that played him should. Wait, no. That's mean.
Thanks LC I'll do it.
He can't hear you.
You're good.
(07-11-2012, 04:46 PM)Riotgear Wrote: Thanks LC I'll do it.

let me know how you like it. can you get linquica?

i like kale just cooked like spinach too, with some salt pork. greens are good for you! Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

Kale is good for you and tasty too! Especially so when breaded, fried and dipped in melted cheese.
(07-11-2012, 04:52 PM)Lady Cop Wrote:

i like kale just cooked like spinach too, with some salt pork. greens are good for you! Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

I know of a mom and pop sausage shop I can check so maybe. Or something close.
(07-11-2012, 04:48 PM)OnBendedKnee Wrote: He can't hear you.
You're good.

It's a craft. Like anything else.
I know little about kale. I've heard it doesn't taste real good, but that is second-hand info.

I remember a funny as hell 'Cheers' episode where Woody eats kale.

Must-see tv!
Sure, if you're in a mental ward stuck watching Nic at Night at 3:00 AM.
(07-11-2012, 05:12 PM)OnBendedKnee Wrote: Sure, if you're in a mental ward stuck watching Nic at Night at 3:00 AM.

Is that where IMaDick is?
(07-11-2012, 05:12 PM)OnBendedKnee Wrote: Sure, if you're in a mental ward stuck watching Nic at Night at 3:00 AM.

Thanks to Reagan that's not a problem eh?

Buh dump dump psshhhhhhhhh
(07-11-2012, 05:04 PM)Riotgear Wrote:

Mass. has a large Portuguese population in Fall River (old textile mills) and New Bedford (fishing/whaling city).

the linquica or chourice really make it. your market may have it, look for Gaspar's. i was even able to get it in Florida. in the sandwich meat/bacon case.

http://www.gasparssausage.com/

(07-11-2012, 06:24 PM)Lady Cop Wrote:

Mass. has a large Portuguese population in Fall River (old textile mills) and New Bedford (fishing/whaling city).

the linquica or chourice really make it. your market may have it, look for Gaspar's. i was even able to get it in Florida. in the sandwich meat/bacon case.

I have a friend from Fall River and she made roasted potatoes and chourice with some kind of marinated chili pepper seeds and portugese kale soup. Damn, it was good, I tried to replicate it but didn't have much success.
Sally, no mock- I swear: I love reading your posts. I may catch grief for stating such, yet it is true and this forum is the closest I'll ever be allowed to state it.

That is all. Carry on.
(07-11-2012, 07:39 PM)OnBendedKnee Wrote: Sally, no mock- I swear: I love reading your posts. I may catch grief for stating such, yet it is true and this forum is the closest I'll ever be allowed to state it.

That is all. Carry on.

Thank you, I enjoy your posts too. Especially the ones about Dick.

ImaDick that is.
(07-11-2012, 07:10 PM)sally Wrote:
(07-11-2012, 06:24 PM)Lady Cop Wrote:

I have a friend from Fall River and she made roasted potatoes and chourice with some kind of marinated chili pepper seeds and portugese kale soup. Damn, it was good, I tried to replicate it but didn't have much success.

Is there a difference between chourice and chorizo?