Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Marissa Mayer
Good career move or not? Discuss.
She's very smart, young, and has been with Google since the very early days. I admire her.

I understand her moving to Yahoo if it's for the challenge. Sometimes you get to a point where the learning curve is minimal, even with changing technologies and OEMs and such. The politics and working with the same people for years can also become a drag.

I only saw that she was snagged by Yahoo today. I don't know anything about the salary package as compared to Google and what motivated her to make the move. Will have to read up more about it.

But, initially, I'd say it was a good career move because she made the decision; it's not like a transfer or a merger position change. If she doesn't get what she wants from Yahoo or doesn't perform as expected, she'll have that growth experience and move on. Gotta think she's got major cash reserves at this point.

All JMO...
Here's a good overview of her upward title move to Yahoo (she was a senior exec, but not the CEO at Google) and some of the problems she'll be inheriting at Yahoo. I really hope she succeeds; I think it's exciting for her and smart for Yahoo. Five CEOs in five years shows a lot of instability, imo, but great opportunity for the right leader to turn things around too.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/...56256682/1

[Image: marissa_mayer.jpg&h=273&w=220&zc=1]
I looked up her net worth: $300 Million at age 37. She can afford to take some risks.
I agree. She certainly was not likely to run Google anytime soon, so the move to Yahoo shouldn't hurt.

However, Yahoo is an unmitigated disaster... they've made poor CEO decisions the past few times. She doesn't seem like a bad pick, and if she can turn it around her stock soars. If it doesn't work out, it's likely Yahoo takes the blame because their culture is so corrupted.

Mayer has done some pretty impressive things in her career though, so she might be able to turn it around.
(07-17-2012, 11:21 AM)Jimbone Wrote: She doesn't seem like a bad pick, and if she can turn it around her stock soars. If it doesn't work out, it's likely Yahoo takes the blame because their culture is so corrupted.

Mayer has done some pretty impressive things in her career though, so she might be able to turn it around.

Yahoo needs a new kind of thinker, but one with in-depth industry and technological experience, imo. I really don't know if all 4 of the last CEOs were poor choices, or if instead the top level organization was too much of a mess and obstacle course for some of them to make any headway in such a short time. Less than a year is very little time to completely re-organize and affect major improvements throughout an entire company. It's taken me that long to effectively re-organize and save departments of less than a 100 people - and that was moving quickly (some of those 100 were managed remotely in other countries, but that didn't slow things down too much).

I'm wondering if being the 5th in five years is actually an advantage. If I were in Ms. Mayer's shoes that's exactly how'd I be looking at it. I'd be working like crazy after office hours to review every single change management plan and schedule implemented by my predecessors to see what worked and what failed and who was directing those areas in the "success" column. Then, grab those directors, embrace them and entice them into a re-org advisory team quickly, brainstorm, and make sure as hell not to attempt changes that have essentially already been tried and failed without first adjusting the scenario.

It's easy to unknowingly repeat failures when there's a lot of leadership change and chaos in the environment you inherit; simply because the new leader doesn't have the background, the team he or she will be overseeing is leary of yet another yahoo coming in the joint, and/or the new honcho is trying too hard to make a name for his or herself above all else.

I think Ms. Mayer's relevant experience and historical style, along with the timing, will help her avoid that loop and she may well be a golden goose for Yahoo. She certainly doesn't ever have to worry about working for the money ever again, but people that accomplish what she has by age 37 are usually extremely internally driven.

I'm anxious to see how she does and will follow the business news. If I had any extra money, I'd invest some in Yahoo now.

All just my opinion...
You're just lovely.
I think this is, well, silly.

Turns out Ms. Mayer is pregnant and due in October. She made a statement indicating that her maternity leave will be a few weeks long and that she'll be working throughout. Sounds good to me. But, no. Now, there's talk about how taking so little time could possibly be a bad example for other employees and how she might not bond with her child.

She's worth $300 million, folks, she's not your typical employee. And, she's the top officer at a major internet technology firm. She's got more options than most. She can afford care at home, attend meetings via cam, and conduct virtually all critical business from home (with the baby in tow) with today's technology until it's time to go full time back to the office. We've come a long way, baby, nothing for the public or the press to "worry" about.

JMO...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/18/opinion/co...?hpt=hp_c2
She was up front about the pregnancy with the Yahooligans, and they hired her anyway.

I don't see what the big deal is. People do this all the time, as if she is going to be setting a bad example? Puhhleeze. She's likely going to have a nanny, a manny, and an au pair.
Nope.

Once she has the little critter, she'll change.

She'll turn into a suburban hausfrau and get pregnant again. Soon.

She may end up being a 'consultant', but little more.
(07-18-2012, 09:24 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Nope.

I want to nail you right square in the balls when you say shit like that. Rawr.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
See Duchess, even with all this other nonsense permeating Mock, I still know what buttons to push to roust you from your slumber.

Good Evening!
(07-18-2012, 09:24 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Nope.

*snort* Even if she did...poor suburban hausfrau retiring at 37 worth $300million. Disgraceful!!

MS is jealous!!! Hahaha!
I think you ladies misunderstand my meaning sometimes.

I was saying that BECAUSE of her immense wealth, the need to return to the grind will disappear. And, of course, the bond she'll feel with her child. How does it always turn in to some sort of slam in my direction?

Damn User, even you?
(07-18-2012, 11:19 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: I think you ladies misunderstand my meaning sometimes.

I was saying that BECAUSE of her immense wealth, the need to return to the grind will disappear. And, of course, the bond she'll feel with her child. How does it always turn in to some sort of slam in my direction?

Damn User, even you?

I can't speak for the other ladies, but I don't have a problem with your opinions and like hearing them. Sometimes, I disagree and think you seem chauvinistic and that you assume that you understand women as if we are all alike. So, I share my opinion back and always enjoy the exchange. (See the other thread this carried over to; I even dedicated a song to you!)

Dude, Ms. Mayer could have retired years ago at $50 million, or $100 million, etc... She is obviously working because of an internal drive or desire to do so, same as many other successful women and men. She chose to take a very challenging high-profile position half way through her pregnancy.

Can you see how your definitive statement upthread that she'll chuck it all because she has a baby and become nothing more than a consultant or choose to stay at home and make more babies is a bit, well, presumptuous and archaic? If not, you'll probably keep getting the same types of responses when you post your assumptions about women. Catfight

P.s. I actually thought your original post was a joke to get ires up til you indicated that you were serious.
(07-18-2012, 11:19 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: I think you ladies misunderstand my meaning sometimes.

Damn User, even you?

She will chose to do whatever she wants. And she can well afford it. There's not some biological imperative that will keep her home..
Her hairdo is very 'safe'. Boring.

Money can't buy personality. She aint comin' to my club unless she lifts her game.
^that. What an entertaining read on something I was previously unaware of. She's obviously a very smart person and has worked her way up. Pregnancy can change the game though, it's often a deal breaker. Hopefully the lawyers worked all that shit out first. Thanks for the info and insight.

:hat tip:
Bollocks Ma. She can't afford a decent hair cut? Having a baby doesn't exempt you from having some style. Having style costs nothing, which is why she is in desperate want.

So she has lots of money? So what. Maybe it's a US thing, worship the rich, irrespective of their deficits.
Now we're talking, aussie. Finally, the hair critiques that were promised are being delivered.

P.s. I like your new avatar, but it also kinda creeps me out - her hair looks a lot like a darker version of rich Ms. Mayer's style, doesn't it?
Well yes, HoTD, yes it does. Maybe it is a Mayer inspired style. Maybe a catty version.