Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
CAN YOU TELL?

Do you think you can tell what someone is really like by their posts?

I have mixed feelings about this but only because I post so much crap that's usually designed to push a button or two and it's not who I really am at all but then I see others posting and think I have a pretty good idea of who they are.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I think in a small way the posts reflect a part of a person, but not all. I think it is really easy to hide yourself here, behind any personality you want.
I know I am close to what I project here, but there is still a lot hidden.
after a period of time, people do reveal a lot about themselves in their posts. everything from phrasing, spelling, topics, certain attitudes...i gain a lot of insight when they have been around a while. usually spot on.

Unless they are attempting to deliberately obfuscate, I think yes you can tell.

That said, it's a one dimensional view of someone at best, right? People in three dimensions allow us to observe body language, vocal inflection, and other visual cues that really give up what one's personality really is like.
If you pay attention and after a long while yes. For example - I've known Donovan the longest here. I argued with him about shit, spoken to him privately about shit, agreed with him about shit, joked around with him about shit, sided with him about shit. I'm comfortable that I'd like him just as much in person. I suppose he could be bullshitting me, but I've come to rely on his bullshit then.

I see the same potential with several people here that I saw in my interactions with Donovan way back when.

Interestingly, the people I don't get along with I hunched from the start. And the people that I like but sometimes don't get along with (ESAD) wind up being solid thick or thin.

Just like in RL like finds like. I suspect you'd find me very similar in person to how you find me here. Maybe a little less grandios and surprisingly good looking.
I am who i am.
(08-08-2010, 06:37 PM)Maggot Wrote: May your ears turn into arseholes and shit on your shoulders......Smiley_emoticons_smile

(08-07-2012, 01:57 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I have mixed feelings about this but only because I post so much crap that's usually designed to push a button or two and it's not who I really am at all but then I see others posting and think I have a pretty good idea of who they are.

i think we know you well enough to know when you are trying to push buttons for a laugh...i feel like i know a lot on here very well...i can just picture in my mind each of you guys if we were all work colleagues, neighbors or school buds.

User is the room mother for all her kids' classes and the other mothers are jealous

everyone likes being at sallies house

Duchess is an elegant designer with a hint of a dark funny side that intrigues her girlfriends and men alike...

Donovan, the sweetheart guy who works in your building and is always pleasant, nice manners, ...you can tell he has had some rough knocks but he's survived and is always trying hard to improve himself...

nightowl...everyone wants as a neighbor and bud

Ritogear...funny and sweet deep down...a mysterious buyer of imported wigits that the FBI is watching closely

MWS he knows he's a hottie

i could go on and on...hah
Spay and neuter your dogs and cats. Ban gas chambers in your local shelters. User made the call. User made a difference! Love3
(08-07-2012, 02:27 PM)QueenBee Wrote: I am close to what I project here, but there is still a lot hidden.

spill it sister hah
Spay and neuter your dogs and cats. Ban gas chambers in your local shelters. User made the call. User made a difference! Love3
(08-07-2012, 02:43 PM)ESAD Wrote: I am who i am.

you're a teddy bear marshmellow our man!
(08-07-2012, 02:56 PM)pspence Wrote: Ritogear...funny and sweet deep down...a mysterious buyer of imported wigits that the FBI is watching closely

Damn. She's on to me. Keep it down sister. You never know who's listening. Well, I mostly know but shhhhhhhh.
Posted by pspence - Today 02:56 PM

Posted by pspence - Today 02:57 PM

Posted by pspence - Today 02:59 PM

go here pspence: http://mockforums.net/post-275861.html#pid275861

more fucking post-whoring. it's damned irritating and nobody else does it. it's also called attention whoring. see, i can tell she's an attention whore.

[Image: postwhore.jpg]

(08-07-2012, 02:56 PM)pspence Wrote: everyone likes being at sallies house

Of course they do, I have comfy furniture, lots of alcohol, a Newfoundland that looks and acts like a big teddy bear and a wood burning oven that makes perfect pizza and steaks. What's not to like besides me. And I think it's Sally's not Sallies.
(08-07-2012, 04:12 PM)sally Wrote: And I think it's Sally's not Sallies.

She was just referring to your many personalities.

You know, the Bitch, the Idiot and the Sweetie.

Not necessarily in that order.

Sally, I think you should nail him right square in the balls for the idiot comment.
(08-07-2012, 01:57 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I don't think I post alot of crap, but I think that my weird life situation and posting style leads people to misunderstand me and not be able to differentiate between my crap and my serious contributions. Also I'm much more "talkative" in my posts than I am in real life so no I don't think you can tell completely who I am from my posts.
(08-07-2012, 04:16 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Sally, I think you should nail him right square in the balls for the idiot comment.

I'm just making sure she's paying attention.

She knows 'Idiot' should be replaced with 'Lush'.

hah
(08-07-2012, 02:59 PM)pspence Wrote:

:s
(08-08-2010, 06:37 PM)Maggot Wrote: May your ears turn into arseholes and shit on your shoulders......Smiley_emoticons_smile

I don't think people can tell how quiet I am in real life, there are certain types of people I can hit it off with right away and others I just don't have a damn thing to say to, or even care to. I'm not the type of person that just starts chit chatting with everyone.
(08-07-2012, 04:16 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I was more upset about the sweetie comment.
(08-07-2012, 04:28 PM)ESAD Wrote:
(08-07-2012, 02:59 PM)pspence Wrote:

:s

hah