Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
emerging viruses & plague
an old fashioned infection...that's making a comeback.

The Washington Times

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Faced with evidence that anti-gonorrhea drugs are slowly losing their effectiveness, the federal government is poised to announce new treatment guidelines later this week to combat the long-dreaded sexually transmitted disease.

This action will be one of many taken by public health workers to address the alarming scenario of a common, sexually transmitted infection becoming resistant to their very drugs that had halted its spread so effectively over the past 80 years.

Antibiotic-resistant gonorrhea is “a major global threat,” Dr. Edward W. Hook III told a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in May.

If this resistance grows, it “could take us back more than 60 years, to a time when treatments for gonorrhea were not reliably effective and when there were no alternative therapies,” said Dr. Hook, a professor of medicine and epidemiology at the University of Alabama and director of the Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) Control Program for the Jefferson County Department of Health.

Already, doctors are using higher doses of antibiotics to treat gonorrhea, and cases of complete treatment failure have been reported in Europe, Asia and Canada, he noted.

Complete treatment failure means just what it sounds — “that you have a chronic, active, ulcerative, infectious disease,” said William Smith, executive director of the National Coalition of STD Directors.

While the CDC is on target to take action on this emerging problem, state and local STD facilities are going to struggle with it, said Mr. Smith. The budgets for these agencies “are as bare bones as you can imagine,” he said.

Moreover, as antibiotic-resistant gonorrhea cases emerge, even more efforts must be made to ensure that people who test positive are treated and then re-tested to see if they were cured.

Also, partners of infected persons must also be contacted, tested and treated — an enormous task for public health agencies tasked with fighting STDs, Mr. Smith said.

In the interim, there is now a pressing need to find an entirely new class of drugs to defeat gonorrhea, as previously used drugs, such as penicillin, tetracycline and fluoroquinolones, are now ineffective and cannot be reintroduced, experts told the CDC webinar.

It takes drug manufacturers at least nine years and often up to 15 years to get to a licensed product, on speculative investments ranging from $4 billion and $12 billion, Carolyn Deal, chief of the STD branch of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health, told the CDC webinar.

In the United States, officials estimate there are now about 700,000 cases of gonorrhea a year, although only half are reported.

Gonorrhea — which also known as “the clap,” “drip” or “GC” — often goes unreported because the infection can be asymptomatic, especially in women, and especially if it has infected the oral cavity or rectum, STD experts said.

When there are symptoms, these usually include painful urination, discharge and itching.

Left untreated, gonorrhea can lead to scarring of reproductive tissues, which can cause infertility. It also typically causes open sores to appear on skin, which raises the risk for acquiring HIV and other STDs.

Pregnant women infected with gonorrhea are at risk for miscarriage, premature birth and other complications; infected mothers can also transmit the infection to their babies, causing eye problems and other problems.

Prudent steps for the public to avoid gonorrhea are to abstain from sex or stay in a monogamous relationship with an uninfected partner and use condoms consistently and correctly, Dr. Robert Kirkcaldy, a medical epidemiologist at the STD division of the CDC, told the webinar.

If a gonorrhea infection is acquired, he said, the person in treatment should let the health care provider know if the infection is resolved, and notify all recent sex partners, so they can get treated too.

CDC officials said last year that an estimated 700,000 new gonorrhea infections occur each year in the United States, making it the second most commonly reported bacterial STD. After infection rates fell steadily from the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s, infection rates have essentially held steady since then as more treatment-resistant strains appeared.

Come on....PLAGUE!! We're due. Might as well be this bug that morphs into a super beast. And the best thing is we can blame our dumbass selves for being so 'smart'.

LOL Fucking stupid humans.
Yet another reason I am glad I am not out there on the street
If the flu pops in a spectacular fashion again it might not matter.
Tsk Tsk Tsk......

There goes my Monday nights...........

[Image: 6a00d83451c12869ei.jpg]
I wonder if folks unfamiliar with the glory hole process bang their cocks into the fence panels before they realize there are explicit instructions.

If I were a man I would be very hesitant to stick it in a hole like that. WTF. You don't know what's on the other side, you only think you do.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I'm guessing it probably isn't who you'd hope it is on the other side. Eager is good I guess.
(08-07-2012, 09:09 PM)Duchess Wrote:

If I were a man I would be very hesitant to stick it in a hole like that. WTF. You don't know what's on the other side, you only think you do.

Have you read the Walmart thread? I think for a whole lot of them it doesn't matter as long as its a hole

Could be a meat cleaver. or someone with a mouth full of blisters and shanker sores. i wouldn't dip my cookie in that glass of milk.
Spay and neuter your dogs and cats. Ban gas chambers in your local shelters. User made the call. User made a difference! Love3
(08-07-2012, 10:27 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote:

Have you read the Walmart thread? I think for a whole lot of them it doesn't matter as long as its a hole

hah
Spay and neuter your dogs and cats. Ban gas chambers in your local shelters. User made the call. User made a difference! Love3
It could be a Victoria's Secret model with nothing better to do.
i need to do some up-to-date reading so i can say something reasonably intelligent in here. years ago i read a book called "The Coming Plague", it was extremely well-researched, scientific, and scared the living hell out of me. it had to do with emerging viruses in the world. mainly Ebola/Marburg that could rapidly spread around the planet and cause utter devastation. we have to be grateful for the first-line defense of doctors combating it. some of them die.
so recently i read about a polio strain coming back, now the original post here, and syphilis may be on the list. damn viruses are tougher than we as humans are. although it does appear that HIV is under control, where it was once the "gay plague". but only under control in countries that can afford the meds.

so Ebola, which is the scariest damn thing on earth, has sprung up again. it gets quashed, but never for long. whenever i read about a new outbreak i am reminded of our vulnerability. if it got out of Africa unabated (just one infected person on an international flight) it would be the stuff of horror movies. i really don't think we should panic, but i do think people need to pay attention to the CDC. and maybe alter some practices accordingly.

Panic

[Image: The-Coming-Plague-9780140250916.jpg]

(08-08-2012, 05:09 AM)Lady Cop Wrote: i really don't think we should panic, but i do think people need to pay attention to the CDC. and maybe alter some practices accordingly.

Panic

[Image: The-Coming-Plague-9780140250916.jpg]

I remember at an emergency preparedness conference this scientist's topic was anthrax and other man-initiated horrors...at the end some guy asked him what his opinion was of what will finally end the world and he said "it'll be nature not man".
(08-07-2012, 10:27 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote:

Now 6 footer, I'm gonna have to do some ass kickin'. Walmart is one of my frequent stops. My husband refuses to enter its doors . I gotta be honest here...sometimes if you need a colander I don't want to pay 25$... Don't you make fun of us walmarters were very hole selective
Hmmm...Walmart or a $25 collander...Hmmm...
I think I have $25
Sandpaper Sally becomes soft & silky Sally just by picking the scabs off.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
more Ebola. :(

[Image: 120731064538-intv-uganda-ebola-who-hartl...ry-top.jpg]

(CNN) -- The Ebola virus has killed 10 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the World Health Organization said Tuesday.

As of Monday, WHO said, the deaths are among 13 probable and two confirmed Ebola cases reported in Orientale province in eastern Congo.

The Congolese Ministry of Health has set up a task force to deal with the outbreak and is working with WHO, UNICEF, Doctors Without Borders and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Twelve cases and eight deaths occurred in the area of Isiro, a town in Congo's north, WHO said. The fatalities included three health care workers. One death each occurred in Congo's Pawa and Dungu regions.

Congo's Orientale province borders western Uganda, where 24 probable and confirmed cases, including 16 deaths, have been reported since the beginning of July.

But WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl told CNN that there's no connection between the outbreaks in Uganda and Congo.

The viruses, he said, are two different Ebola strains. There are five strains of the virus, a highly infectious and often fatal agent spread through direct contact with bodily fluids

And, Hartl said, it is extremely difficult to travel between Isiro, for example, and Kiballe, the western Ugandan district where an outbreak emerged last month.

That's because it is heavily forested with impassable roads, and the only viable way to travel is going 10 to 15 kilometers per hour via motorbike. So it is unlikely there would be contact between Ugandans and Congolese that would lead to infection.

This reminds me of a joke that goes something like:

This salesman is overseas staying in a fancy hotel.
There in a room off the lobby, are a bunch of coin operated machines.

One machine says insert your shirt to have it laundered, deposit $5.00 He did, he got back a washed & ironed shirt. He was happy.

Another machine says to shine shoes, place shoes under machine, deposit $5.00, he did, they came out shining like a mirror. He was happy.

There were several other such type machines.

Finally, the last machine said: For the faithful duties of a wife, deposit $20.00 and to stick his rod in the slot located conveniently on the machine.

Happily he did, and after only 10 seconds, he pulled it out screaming in excruciating pain, it had a button sewed on the end! Smiley_emoticons_shocked
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

[Image: Yosemite%20File.jpg]

Yosemite officials told 1,700 past visitors on Tuesday they may have been exposed to a rodent-borne disease already blamed for the deaths of two people who stayed at the park.

The email alerts involved hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, which can be carried in the urine, saliva and feces of infected deer mice.

All of the at-risk visitors had stayed in the "Signature Tent Cabins" in Yosemite National Park's Curry Village.

Yosemite officials warned those who stayed there from mid-June through the end of August to beware of any symptoms of hantavirus, which can include fever, aches, dizziness and chills.

Park officials told people to seek medical help immediately for such symptoms. There is no specific treatment for the respiratory illness.

Two other people were infected and were expected to survive.

Federal epidemiologists learned over the weekend of the second fatality.

Earlier this month a man from Alameda County in the San Francisco Bay area died, and a woman from Southern California was sickened after staying in infected tent cabins in Curry Village, a family friendly area with the park's lowest-cost accommodations.

The four people known so far to have contracted the illness stayed around the same time in June. Federal health officials say symptoms can develop up to six weeks after exposure.

Of the 587 documented U.S. cases since the virus was identified in 1993, about one-third proved fatal.

[Image: 15a4c4ea0.gif]