Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOLY ROLLER

When is the last time you were in a church?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
In Feb, on the occasion of a funeral. Don't have anything to do with institutional religion, so my visits to churches are solely for my family's sake.
I used to take my charges to church periodically. The one they went to was one of those modern "hey we can be fun TOO" type churches with all the singing and guitars and whatnot.
Did you discuss the things they learned/heard there with them afterwards? Was it something they looked forward to?
(08-26-2012, 07:19 AM)Duchess Wrote:

When is the last time you were in a church?

a Christmas Eve candelight service. won't say what year. 30

I used to go to Liz's Catholic church often enough the priest asked me to give the benediction.
(I had to quietly explain I wasn't Catholic. I didn't go into further details...)

I quite enjoy church as I like the solemn escape from everyday rigmarole and really, it's mostly motivation speaking sprinkled with a touch of Jesus, so what's the harm?
And really, dose or two of pomp and circumstance never hurt anyone.
(08-26-2012, 10:21 AM)Ilyanna Wrote: Did you discuss the things they learned/heard there with them afterwards? Was it something they looked forward to?

they liked the free lemonade and coffee in the lobby. My folks tend to treat church as what it is, a place to socialize.
30 yrs.
(08-26-2012, 12:51 PM)Donovan Wrote:
(08-26-2012, 10:21 AM)Ilyanna Wrote: Did you discuss the things they learned/heard there with them afterwards? Was it something they looked forward to?

they liked the free lemonade and coffee in the lobby. My folks tend to treat church as what it is, a place to socialize.

A little java and jesus on an early Sunday morning!
Nothing too terribly wrong with that.
(08-26-2012, 12:53 PM)OnBendedKnee Wrote:
(08-26-2012, 12:51 PM)Donovan Wrote:

A little java and jesus on an early Sunday morning!
Nothing too terribly wrong with that.

It's not the Jesus I mind. It's the followers.
The last time was when I was when I was a kid, my grandfather was a Methodist pastor so I had to go with them when I stayed at their house. I have no reason to go now, if I want to drink coffee and socialize with assholes I can sit out in front of Starbucks.
Understood.
Getting back to the Jesus:

Which Jesus do you enjoy the most?
The in swaddling-clothed baby Jesus, or the don't-know-much-about teenage Jesus, or the young adult-preachy Jesus or the forgive-them-for-they-no-not-what-they-do hanging on the cross Jesus, or the resurrected Jesus?
I like the black Jesus.
I like sexy, white, tall, ovation guitar playing, aviators havin', hot chick attractin', sandal sportin', weed smokin' hippy jesus.
The hispanic one in True Blood is pretty cute, too.
Did you see the one in Bill Mar's religion special?

Pretty fucking hot. And not in a gay way (well ok sort of).

Alright, in a gay way

HEY ITS THE SON OF GOD! THE LAMB! THE GROOM!
Compliment him all you want, he's still not going to have sex with you.
Did you ever watch the movie Stigmata? At the end of the film it says that a document was found outside Jerusalem that is believed to be a gospel in the exact words of Jesus Christ telling his disciples that the kingdom of God is all around them and not confined to churches. The film states the Catholic Church refuses to recognize the document as a gospel and considers it heresy. If this is true then no need to feel guilty any longer hah
My sons wedding in June this year. Was a while before that though. Didn't like organized religion for many years, bad juju from when I was a kid. A lady I dated for a while down here talked me into going to her church and I liked it. Its huge, 3500 or more at each of 3 services on a sunday. I could go, get a nice message to take me through the week and remain anonomous, all good. Problem is its 30 miles up the road.
Haven't been in a while
(08-26-2012, 01:30 PM)OnBendedKnee Wrote: Compliment him all you want, he's still not going to have sex with you.

[Image: passion-1.jpg]