How many spaces do you tap..
between sentences? I have just confirmed (through this post) that I hit the space bar twice after a sentence (at least on a computer; it might be different on my phone). However, I've been working on a newsletter with another woman who has made media her career and she says that double spacing is passe'.

I was told LONG AGO (in the prehistoric era) that a double space was appropriate at the end of a sentence. I automatically click the space bar twice and I will probably go to my grave doing it. You?
Yes.
[Image: egypt_5.gif]
I double tap at the end of a sentence as well. The only thing that may prevent it is if it is autocorrected.
Well, apparently we're all dinosaurs because it's not (supposedly) correct now.
Could the harpy have possibly meant double spacing for sentences in paragraphs?
(09-25-2012, 10:27 PM)Jimbone Wrote: Could the harpy have possibly meant double spacing for sentences in paragraphs?

No. She said double spacing between sentences is old school. I notice I don't double space on my phone (although I'm doing it here purposefully), but it's second nature typing on a regular keyboard.
Since it is altogether uncommon in German, I don't double-space, regardless of the language. I did it years ago in formal English texts after my American colleagues told me double spacing was custom, but it never even occurred to me that it still is in use.
[Image: rule-2-double-tap.jpg]

Guns

LOL!!!!
(I actually wrote double-tap instead of -space but noticed my blooper just in time)
Yes, I was taught the same way but I don't double tap online.
Double space after a sentence.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Hrumph...

Space Invaders
Why you should never, ever use two spaces after a period.
By Farhad Manjoo|Posted Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011, at 6:20 PM ET

Can I let you in on a secret? Typing two spaces after a period is totally, completely, utterly, and inarguably wrong.
And yet people who use two spaces are everywhere, their ugly error crossing every social boundary of class, education, and taste. * You'd expect, for instance, that anyone savvy enough to read Slate would know the proper rules of typing, but you'd be wrong; every third e-mail I get from readers includes the two-space error. (In editing letters for "Dear Farhad," my occasional tech-advice column, I've removed enough extra spaces to fill my forthcoming volume of melancholy epic poetry, The Emptiness Within.) The public relations profession is similarly ignorant; I've received press releases and correspondence from the biggest companies in the world that are riddled with extra spaces. Some of my best friends are irredeemable two spacers, too, and even my wife has been known to use an unnecessary extra space every now and then (though she points out that she does so only when writing to other two-spacers, just to make them happy).

More...

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology...aders.html

I have some posting quirks but double spacing isn't one of them.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Hmmmmmmm.............
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
There's a simple logical reason for double spacing; it helps you read. You can see where the end of the sentence is without having to search for a tiny little "." lost among the letters. If you're reading at any speed, but especially at very high speed, knowing the lenght of the sentence improves the chances that it will "flow" and you'll get the meaning without having to reread it.

I suspect some of the people who hate double spacing are either borderline literate or have an axe to grind.

The problem with almost all the online forums and templates for writing is that they eliminate all multiple spacing in the software. This is mostly because all computer programmers are either idiots or they don't care about the usability of their products. Not only does eliminating multiple spaces doom your work to be read at lower speed but it also makes formatting tables and the like impossible.

Of course part of the reason they do this is that this forces users to go out and find the software on which you can format and then find somebody who can explain the directions to you since they will be written in Geekese. Bill Gates must die.
[Image: egypt_5.gif]
(09-26-2012, 11:46 AM)cladking Wrote: The problem with almost all the online forums and templates for writing is that they eliminate all multiple spacing in the software.

Testing. One. Two. Three.

Well that answers THAT question. I was wondering why the posts all looked the same even though some of us are double spacing. Smiley_emoticons_slash
What a colossal waste of time and energy... I was suspect of the article as I was reading it, and then came across this line to confirm my suspicion:

"Is this arbitrary? Sure it is."

Two spaces are clearly acceptable per the MLA by the writers own admission. He just prefers single space. So he goes on a self-important rant about how wrong those who use two spaces are, and how they should become literary outcasts. Now, user is in semi-crisis because of this dumb ass and his lame opinion.

I believe Farhad Mangoo is an asshole, and anyone who doesn't is living in the past.

Is this an arbitrary opinion?

Sure it is.
3 taps always.

And a 21 Gun Salute.
tap, tap
(09-26-2012, 11:59 AM)Jimbone Wrote: Now, user is in semi-crisis because of this dumb ass and his lame opinion.

Well fine. Stay stuck in the 70's. See if I care, Jim Bob.

Dramaqueen