Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
**Graphic** Officer Cleared In Shooting (CA)
Fatal Manteca (Calif.) PD Shooting [Graphic]

The San Joaquin District Attorney's Office has cleared Officer John Moody of any wrongdoing in the June 2011 incident.

Warning Graphic Video

MANTECA (CBS13) – A Manteca police officer was justified when he shot a man 11 times in front of his house, the San Joaquin County District Attorney’s Office concluded earlier this week.

The DA’s office on Monday issued its report in the shooting death of Ernest Manuel Duenez on June 8, 2011, concluding Officer John Moody was legally justified in his use of lethal force.

A lawyer for the Duenez family released the dash-cam police video of the shooting this week. The video shows all of the interaction between Moody and Ernest in front of the house and the aftermath of the fatal shooting, including Ernest’s wife, Whitney, running out from the home toward her husband and screaming.

Ernest was a parole at large with a lengthy criminal history, including seven felony convictions. When Officer Moody started his shift, he was informed that Ernest was wanted and considered armed and dangerous, the report said.

Moody positioned himself near Ernest’s residence at 242 Flores Avenue on the day of the shooting and pulled in behind a blue pickup truck that Ernest was in, riding in the back “jump” seat.

As Moody approached the truck, he reportedly ordered Ernest not to move four times, but Ernest continued to exit the truck. Moody yelled “Hands up! Hands up Ernie! Don’t you move! Ernie, don’t you move or I’ll shoot you! Hands up! Drop the knife now!”

Ernest was armed with a knife and when he turned toward Moody after jumping to the ground, the officer feared for his safety and fired his service weapon 13 times, hitting him with 11, the report states. A knife was recovered in the back of the pickup.

However, Ernest’s mother says the video proves he wasn’t carrying a knife.

“By releasing this video and putting it out there to the public, they see what we have seen, not what the DA has written,” said Rosemary Duenez, Ernest’s mother.

“In the video, I do not see a weapon,” said Rosemary.

Ernest’s mother says the video proves he wasn’t carrying a knife.

The video does show him turning toward the truck, where investigators say he reached forward. That’s when the officer started firing.

“I’m heartbroken,” said Whitney.

Whitney ran outside and found her husband shot. He was still alive when she kept yelling for officers to call an ambulance. It’s a moment that she can’t stop from replaying in her mind.

“That will always be in me,” Rosemary said. “I will always remember his cries as he was dying.”

CBS13 showed former Sacramento Sheriff John McGinness the video, and he agreed with the San Joaquin District Attorney’s Office that the officer’s actions were justified.

“It’s an ugly thing to see; but in terms of the mindset and conduct of the officer, I see nothing to suggest wrongful conduct on his part.”

McGinness says what is key is the officers mindset at the time of the incident. In this case, the knife likely had the officer fearing for his life.

“You can hear him say, drop the knife,” McGinness said.

As for the 13 shots, McGinness says that too is justifiable.

“The purpose, when you’re legally and morally justified to shoot, you’re goal should be to stop your adversary,” said McGinness. “And at that point, you are in fact legally and morally justified to kill, and I think it comes down to something that’s that simple.”
Well thats about a keystoke cops deal if I ever saw one.
The shooting I have no problem with.
But, he shoots the guy 11 times, then handcuffs him. Where the fuck do you think he going to go?
What the fuck is with the 3 minute dull knife t-shirt butchering?
And why pants the guy?
Why is the guy did the shooting even working on him?
nearly 4 minutes in he finally asks for a trauma kit.
Pittiful
I'm sorry but that right there was some fucking bullshit!! That bastard (LEO) waited 5 minutes or longer to call an EMT. Unjustifiable! 13 shots. Unjustifiable!. Did anyone else see a knife? One/two shots I could of dealt with but that cop clearly over did it. What a shame! I feel for his family.
That was a hard video to watch.

I understand being ready for the worst when going to apprehend a 7 time felon, but this just looks like overkill and totally mishandled by Moody in the aftermath. I wonder if he has/will return to the field now that he's been cleared in the shooting investigation.

Also wondering if Ernest's family's lawyer is releasing this because they're planning to file suit against San Joaquin PD.
I'm still reading this before I rush to judge this case (48 Pages), but if anyone is interested. I'll provide a link to the official decision of the DA's office regarding the justification in this shooting.

It's going to take a few moments to load, if you do go to this website.

INVESTIGATION OF THE FATAL SHOOTING OF ERNEST MANUEL
DUENEZ ON JUNE 8, 2011 AT 242 FLORES AVENUE, CITY OF
MANTECA; MPD 11-14975
Mmm that was crazy. That cop went way overboard. He gets out of his cruiser yelling at the dude spoiling for a fight
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(01-11-2013, 10:14 PM)ramseycat Wrote: Mmm that was crazy. That cop went way overboard.

Not sure I get their technique out there to unload a clip on a guy with a knife. In my mind, I initially thought the guy was going to just run. The amount of shots though; that floors me.