Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
AN EMPLOYER'S RIGHT?

During the interview process does the employer have the right to ask a potential employee if she plans to have children?

I can't answer that, I'm waffling back & forth. Smiley_emoticons_slash
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I guess it depends on the job and how much money it offers.
I don't really care if anyone plans on having children. It's not something I have thought of during the interview process and we do not ask. I think it would open a huge door of liability if we did.

Our city recently hired a huge class of new police officers and half way through the academy three female cadets informed us they were preggers. They made it all the way through the academy except for certain required physical elements, took the test and passed. However, they do not have their police powers or official titles; until they make up and pass the required training. Until then, they are doing clerical work. So we accomodated them. Which is fair on all counts.
Reaching back to my HR days...I would say it's not illegal to ask but if you do, you open yourself up to a discrimination case. You can't legally base your hire decision on whether or not they might be or get pregnant in the future so it's best not to ask the question at all.

Some employers just don't ask the question but automatically dismiss candidates that are obviously in child bearing range. Smiley_emoticons_slash
Commando Cunt Queen
Are you asking all potential employees or just the women? Wreaks of discrimination.
(01-26-2013, 09:47 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: Are you asking all potential employees or just the women? Wreaks of discrimination.

Reeks, ffs. It scares me that people like you are potentially receiving degrees in higher education. WTF?
Commando Cunt Queen
(01-26-2013, 10:23 PM)username Wrote:
(01-26-2013, 09:47 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: Are you asking all potential employees or just the women? reeks of discrimination.

Reeks, ffs. It scares me that people like you are potentially receiving degrees in higher education. WTF?

Yeh Ms HR, they just give it to me. I don't have to do nothing, don't have to prove anything, they just 'give' it to me. You stupid cow. FFS back to you. It's discrimination you stupid fucking HR hasbeen.
(01-26-2013, 09:47 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: Are you asking all potential employees or just the women? Wreaks of discrimination.
Just women because they are normally the ones stuck with the majority of childrearing.

This is purely hypothetical. I read a female executive say she thought it was fine to ask and I wanted to read your opinions regarding it.
I would hate to thi k employers discriminate based on that but I'm sure it goes on. A business looks at what it ends up costing them in maternity benefits, substitute workers or coverage while an employee us on marernity leave, replacing an employee that decides not to return to work, ect.

Asking outright is not appropriate. Employers find ways if asking.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(01-26-2013, 10:28 PM)aussiefriend Wrote:
(01-26-2013, 10:23 PM)username Wrote:
(01-26-2013, 09:47 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: Are you asking all potential employees or just the women? reeks of discrimination.

Yeh Ms HR, they just give it to me. I don't have to do nothing, don't have to prove anything, they just 'give' it to me. You stupid cow. FFS back to you. It's discrimination you stupid fucking HR hasbeen.

Nice to see you fixed your original spelling when you replied to me. Asshat
Commando Cunt Queen
(01-26-2013, 10:51 PM)ramseycat Wrote: I would hate to thi k employers discriminate based on that but I'm sure it goes on. A business looks at what it ends up costing them in maternity benefits, substitute workers or coverage while an employee us on marernity leave, replacing an employee that decides not to return to work, ect.

Asking outright is not appropriate. Employers find ways if asking.

Jeebus Christ. Mock Special Olympics.
Commando Cunt Queen
Shut up. I can't type on this stupid phone.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(01-26-2013, 10:32 PM)Duchess Wrote: I read a female executive say she thought it was fine to ask

She thought wrong. You would think someone operating at that level would be careful enough to know the 'do's' and 'don'ts'. That's a no go area, even in this country.
(01-26-2013, 10:55 PM)username Wrote: Nice to see you fixed your original spelling when you replied to me. Asshat

You are wreaking discrimination right now. hah
I know it's probably illegal, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

If I'm going to take my time and money to train you for a job, than I should be able to (as an employer) ask any damn question I want.
What part of 'against the law' don't you understand?
(01-27-2013, 05:44 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: What part of 'against the law' don't you understand?

You have to be the biggest idiot I've ever seen online. How in the hell did you ever survive long enough to procreate?

It was a fucking opinion, for crying out loud. I don't give a damn whether it's legal or not-I, me personally, myself, do not see anything wrong with it.

Then I actually gave a reason for my opinion, and your college educated brain couldn't decipher that?
(01-27-2013, 06:05 PM)cannongal Wrote: your college educated brain

ha! jealous hah

Who the fuck are you? Ignoramus with a stupid fucking opinion at best.

CAT FIGHT!

I like this side of CG. Rawwwr!
Commando Cunt Queen