Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
HURT FEELINGS

Should children be protected from having their feelings hurt?

'If there are 20 individuals in the class and someone brings in seven birthday invitations, it was creating an academic disruption. People were getting their feelings hurt.'

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I think it's in bad taste to give out invitations to only friends in front of the other kids, if it doesn't occur to you to teach your children that then they'll end up a douche just like you.

Douchey people raise douchey kids. It's a character trait they pass on.
(03-20-2013, 10:00 AM)Duchess Wrote:

Douchey people raise douchey kids. It's a character trait they pass on.

Yep, that's why it took the school to step in to remind the parents they're douchebags who can't teach their kids to have some consideration for other people's feelings.
I agree with Sally. Just mail the invites.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(03-20-2013, 09:57 AM)sally Wrote: I think it's in bad taste to give out invitations to only friends in front of the other kids, if it doesn't occur to you to teach your children that then they'll end up a douche just like you.

That grows into adulthood as well. I once worked at a place where a co-worker and I did not like each other. I did not lose much sleep over it, figuring so long as we could work together without incident, no worries. So, fast forward to her getting married. She planned to invite some of our other co-workers. She made a very obvious point of bringing in invites for those co-workers and giving them out in front of me..and not giving me one. The snub was blatantly obvious and apparently one of the others noted it and called her on it in private. I, personally did not give a shit, and would have declined had she invited me. But, even that should have been done privately. Apparently she did tell the other one that she DID do it on purpose, so I would see I was not invited. And the thing is, she was no kid..she was about 30!!
I feel a little different about it. Is it in poor taste? Yes, possibly. However I also feel shielding kids from having their feelings hurt is turning this country into a bunch of tree hugging pansies.

OK go ahead and bash me. I have my big boy underoos on.
But in response to the OP, birthday party invites should be done in private. I do not believe that ALL classmates should be invited , but the reality is that there will be hurt feelings among kids who are not mature enough to not give a shit. On the other had, those goofy valenties (you know, the 30 to a box ones) should go to all classmates. That is just me, though.
When my son was in 1st grade I invited the whole class and they all showed up 52. One kid kept hitting the clown (not me, a real clown) with sticks. Little bastard called his mom to pick him up and then threw a tantrum because he couldn't take the clown's box of party whistles with him.
Question. Would it not also hurt feelings when the invited children returned to school after the party and started talking about it? Wouldn't the other kids feel left out then also?
My son would probably slug someone because of that shit.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(03-20-2013, 10:59 AM)F.U. Dont ask again Wrote: I feel a little different about it. Is it in poor taste? Yes, possibly. However I also feel shielding kids from having their feelings hurt is turning this country into a bunch of tree hugging pansies.

Fuck you, F.U.!

You're not invited to the sappy tree hugging party at Maggot's place.
I'm gonna slug you!!
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(03-20-2013, 11:19 AM)Maggot Wrote: I'm gonna slug you!!

Approach it slowly and don't leave a trail or I'll see it coming and run likes hell.
(03-20-2013, 10:59 AM)F.U. Dont ask again Wrote: I feel a little different about it. Is it in poor taste? Yes, possibly. However I also feel shielding kids from having their feelings hurt is turning this country into a bunch of tree hugging pansies.

Telling your kid to walk away if another kid messes with you is turning them into a pansy. Explaining to your kid that it's rude to give out invitations in front of the other classmates is not. That's just teaching your kid to have some manners.
I agree with FU. We handed invitations out in private but several of the kids would go back to school and say "I'm invited to ____'s party, are you"? I taught my kids not to do that either but still. They'll get over it and they can always take revenge when their own party comes around.
Commando Cunt Queen
(03-20-2013, 11:17 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:

Fuck you, F.U.!

You're not invited to the sappy tree hugging party at Maggot's place.

Hahahahaha. Thats ok HOTD. Anyone can milk a tree but there are few left that can make sorghum, like a few of my farmer friends can.
http://spiritfoods.net/sorghum-syrup/
(03-20-2013, 09:38 AM)Duchess Wrote:
People were getting their feelings hurt.

I heard the kid in Ohio wasn't invited to a party.

Later, he was told in the cafeteria that the party was "Killer".

His feelings were hurt.

I think the invitation bs is more about good manners than anything else.

I have another example -

A Massachusetts principal is under attack after re-organizing an exclusive awards ceremony for outstanding students to include all children at the middle school.

First year principal David Fabrizio of Ipswich Middle School said that he will open the annual event to all students to avoid 'devastating' those who didn't make the grade.

I've never given this kind of thing any thought until now but the students being honored are those who have put the effort in & now to avoid hurt feelings all the kids will be included. I think it's dumb, where the hell is the incentive to achieve more. Stop coddling these kids, Jesus Christ, you're destroying our country.

hah I don't mean to sound dramatic but I do think that kind of attitude plays a role in our fucked up country. Make people work for what they get, stop handing people stuff & stop worrying about hurt feelings. Adversity is character building.
Are all the kids getting awards or are they all just invites to the ceremony?
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies