Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
AN EYE FOR AN EYE JUSTICE

What do you think of this? Yay or nay?

A court in Saudi Arabia has sentenced a man to be medically paralyzed unless he can raise 1 million Saudi Riyal (almost $267,000) to pay a man he stabbed in the back.

When he was 14, Ali al-Khawahir stabbed his friend in the back, paralyzing the victim. The assault earned al-Khawahir a spot in jail -- a spot he's occupied for the last 10 years, the Saudi Gazette reports. Now 24, al-Khawahir either has to pay the victim for forgiveness or have his spinal cord cut, as eye-for-an-eye justice.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Wow. They are brutal.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
I think it's a great idea.
Sometimes, I think that an eye for an eye justice would be the best possible deterrent.

But, under this Saudi principle, a rich man could buy his way out of such retribution lawfully.

This guy was 14 when he stabbed his friend (and it's not clear how the stabbing incident went down or whether he's going to be released from jail after he either pays the sum or gets paralyzed). So, I can't really tell if it's a punishment that fits the crime or punishment for his family not being wealthy.

IDK, in clear cases with no "buy out" option, eye for an eye might be the most appropriate sentence for certain kinds of crimes and criminals.
Each would have to be a case by case study.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(04-05-2013, 06:49 AM)Duchess Wrote:
. . . medically paralyzed . . .

So much for the Hippocratic Oath.
(04-05-2013, 12:05 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: So much for the Hippocratic Oath.

Yeah, that ran through my mind too. They are an uncivilized bunch over there.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(04-05-2013, 11:31 AM)Maggot Wrote: Each would have to be a case by case study.

I've had some clients who were swindled by very sophisticated con artists and lost most everything they worked their lives to earn, with no possibility of getting back their savings, lifestyles, or pride. It pisses me off when people who exploit the elderly (or anyone really) only get a few years, often in comfortable facilities.

In those cases, I'd like to see the criminals do some real time in the lowest-scale facilities with no amenities. They should live in squalor. Squalor, I tell ya!