Mock
revolutionary war myths - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Discussions, Opinions & Debate (https://mockforums.net/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: revolutionary war myths (/thread-10770.html)

Pages: 1 2

revolutionary war myths - Cynical Ninja - 12-26-2013

1 - the war was between the colonists and the British - myth - it was actually a proxy war between the British and French.

2 - Molly Pitcher cannon heroine - myth - nice story shame it was completely made up.

3 - the Americans won the war with frontier savvy and guerilla tactics - myth - sounds great not true though.

4 - except for a few loyallists most Americans fought for liberty - myth - the number of loyallists and rebels was actually almost even. In fact there were 3 sides in the war not 2.

5 - the colonists defeated the mightiest army of all time - myth - the colonists massively outnumbered and outgunned the British.

So there you go, if you would prefer to keep drinking down the patriotic koolaid you were spoonfed at school go ahead.

If you prefer the truth click and learn.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20306_5-myths-about-revolutionary-war-everyone-believes_p2.html

RE: revolutionary war myths - Cynical Ninja - 12-26-2013

Oh and by the way the Mel Gibson film The Patriot is a bit like Braveheart, historically a crock of shit from start to finish.

RE: revolutionary war myths - Donovan - 12-26-2013

The revolution was quite a bit more complicated than even that article suggests , and I would be as careful calling a Cracked.com article History as I would calling Jon Stewart news. The French did come in to assist mostly to protect their own interests here and divide Britain's strength and attention, and it was their ongoing interference that helped lead to American victory. However, the colonists also conducted multiple operations designed to repel French claims on American soil, mostly along the Western frontiers, and made heavy use of native fighters for that purpose. The Indians were in fact superior guerilla fighters and made the difference in many battles, and the colonists borrowed many tactics from them.

Bottom line is the Revolution was much like every other war before it and many since: rich men quarreling with other rich men in a manner that profits both, using poor men to kill other poor men. Revolution, treason, civil action, invasion, liberation...whatever you want to call it it usually boils down to someone making a very large fortune.

The loyalist angle is quite true however, and I'd even go so far as to say they outnumbered revolutionaries by a large margin in many colonies. But the rebels began domestic terror attacks that either killed or drove out loyalists, many fleeing into the relative safety of upper Canada. I did a great deal of side research into this aspect of the war a couple years back as it pertained to a person I was working on, when evidence was uncovered that the guy was probably one of the early covert operatives in American History, working for General Washington as a spy among loyalists. The covert stuff in the Revolution was fascinating and has been all but forgotten in the grand flag waving sanitized versions we get now.

(12-26-2013, 06:37 AM)Cynical Ninja Wrote: Oh and by the way the Mel Gibson film The Patriot is a bit like Braveheart, historically a crock of shit from start to finish.
Are you telling me one guy DIDN'T take down entire squadrons of lame British soldiers with self reloading muskets in slow motion while running through smoke? Mind=blown.

(12-26-2013, 10:19 AM)Donovan Wrote: Are you telling me one guy DIDN'T take down entire squadrons of lame British soldiers with self reloading muskets in slow motion while running through smoke? Mind=blown.

You'd be surprised how many yanks and jocks think The Patriot and Braveheart are documentary style narratives.

William Wallace was a rich well educated laird who sometimes faught as a mercenary for the king of England against the Scottish clans. The hot French princess Mel bones in the tent was real but she would have been a small girl during the time of Wallace. After Wallace was tortured and killed Scotland was Englands bitch for centuries.

Mel fighting with a tomahawk in the Patriot is hilarious and that famous evil British church burning? Well that did happen....in eastern europe during WW2 by the Nazis.

Mel is like some other Australians, he's got a massive chip on his shoulder about the British.

(12-26-2013, 10:09 AM)Donovan Wrote: The revolution was quite a bit more complicated than even that article suggests , and I would be as careful calling a Cracked.com article History as I would calling Jon Stewart news. The French did come in to assist mostly to protect their own interests here and divide Britain's strength and attention, and it was their ongoing interference that helped lead to American victory. However, the colonists also conducted multiple operations designed to repel French claims on American soil, mostly along the Western frontiers, and made heavy use of native fighters for that purpose. The Indians were in fact superior guerilla fighters and made the difference in many battles, and the colonists borrowed many tactics from them.

Bottom line is the Revolution was much like every other war before it and many since: rich men quarreling with other rich men in a manner that profits both, using poor men to kill other poor men. Revolution, treason, civil action, invasion, liberation...whatever you want to call it it usually boils down to someone making a very large fortune.

The French provided the rebel colonists with 90% of their arms and ammunition without the French victory would have been impossible.

I take your point about rich men though. I makes me chuckle when some people go on about “bowing down to my queen etc etc” when they themselves hold the founding fathers in such reverence.

Rich elitist slave owning freemasons with clipped English accents who didn't like paying too many taxes. They have far more in common with the British royal family than the common man that's for sure.

RE: revolutionary war myths - Maggot - 12-26-2013

OP likes to piss on other governments when his pisses him off. What happened, did the refill for your meds not come in? Thinly veiled jealousy is still jealousy. But you can call it whatever you like limey. hah

RE: revolutionary war myths - Cynical Ninja - 12-27-2013

(12-26-2013, 04:12 PM)Maggot Wrote: OP likes to piss on other governments when his pisses him off. What happened, did the refill for your meds not come in? Thinly veiled jealousy is still jealousy. But you can call it whatever you like limey. hah

Jealous? Bwahahahahahaha!

In the words of Jack Nicholson “the truth? You can't handle the truth!”

Keep drinking the yanky koolaid you stoopid cunt! Put your fingers in your ears and sing the star spangled banner until you forget the facts.

The fact you can't refute anything in the article tells its own story. George Washington would have considered you a fucking peasant not fit to lace his boots.

RE: revolutionary war myths - aussiefriend - 12-27-2013

Maggot where does your patriotism come from? Is it based on an informed educational background or just some gut feeling of white is white and black is black?

RE: revolutionary war myths - crash - 12-27-2013

Mock is becoming like a big dose of déjà vu lately..first it was the riddle shit, now the war again? Jesus Christ ..

RE: revolutionary war myths - Donovan - 12-27-2013

Washington was a shrewd leader but not a haughty one. He played up his connection to the common man in an effort to hold his army together and solidify his leadership of the Continental forces. His own peers considered him less of a threat than a possible scapegoat should things go wrong and his overwhelming support and ascendency to President were a bit of a slap in the face to John Adams who thought he would be the first. In the jockeying for power that went on constantly, Washington would have solicited Maggot ' s friendship as a useful tool, perhaps even a spy.

RE: revolutionary war myths - HairOfTheDog - 12-27-2013

(12-27-2013, 08:20 AM)crash Wrote: Mock is becoming like a big dose of déjà vu lately..first it was the riddle shit, now the war again? Jesus Christ ..

Maybe this time out, the mock historical ending will be different and Britain will have won the war? Smiley_emoticons_wink

The script will need a few oh-so-minor edits, though.

In the new script, the British wouldn't have grossly overestimated their abilities to cover so much ground and contain 13 colonies at one time; the French wouldn't have proven to be such formidable allies for the Americans; the American revolutionaries wouldn't have been tenacious in holding out and waging war for longer than the British had expected; Benedict Arnold would have been one truly sly mofo who wasn't outed before he could hand the British West Point and control of the Hudson; Washington wouldn't have been able to inspire troops to re-enlist; etc...

Yeah, I think even Hollywood would consider that piece of revisionist history worthless, unless perhaps it was categorized and marketed as a silly satire.

RE: revolutionary war myths - Maggot - 12-27-2013

The war was a great example of what happens when laws are written but unenforceable. Because of the distance the British could only take coastal cities and never made much headway into the country. After the Americans stomped them at the battle of Saratoga the French decided to back us. And yes we may have lost without them but it did not mean that freedom was ever forgotten or was a secondary thought during the war.
Britain found out all to soon that they could not win with the harsh and brutal treatment they dished out to Ireland and Scotland during their civil war. Employing German henchman to do their dirty work they lost many loyal followers in the colonies and many moved to Canada or were driven out of town.
To say that I would ever back down from my reverence of the heroes that secured my freedom would be very British like and Americans do not walk around with white towels in their back pockets at the ready whenever the going gets tough.
This entire thread and the reason it was posted only shows how many straws are left in the hands of a certain Brit as his haystack of a country falls of the cliff. The lack of memory concerning WWI & WWII only highlights the use of memory and emotional stealing drugs in his adolescence.
All I can say is watch the vapor whistling out the ears of this wanna be boy/man king it is worth the trouble and very funny to watch.

And Aussiebitch STFU you tangled and knotted ball of yarn once white but now yellow.

RE: revolutionary war myths - Donovan - 12-27-2013

Not to mention the competing interests of Spain and Netherlands who, along with France, had holdings here and wanted the British position weakened. I suspect they were unprepared for how tenacious the infant countrymen of the USA would be about maintaining that independence. Or that the American rebellion would serve as inspiration for the French Revolution and thereby keep them occupied and allow the US time and space to grow.

RE: revolutionary war myths - HairOfTheDog - 12-27-2013

(12-27-2013, 01:06 PM)Maggot Wrote: All I can say is watch the vapor whistling out the ears of this wanna be boy/man king it is worth the trouble and very funny to watch.

Yeah, I've seen productions of this same comedy on Mock before.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGxOb7elmsYNY57ePx9dd...IO4YTrYbAk]

Smiley_emoticons_smile

RE: revolutionary war myths - Clang McFly - 12-27-2013

LOL

RE: revolutionary war myths - Maggot - 12-27-2013

I believe in things, that's enough sometimes and I will never change.Cheers Why even try?

RE: revolutionary war myths - Clang McFly - 12-27-2013

(12-27-2013, 09:25 PM)Maggot Wrote: I believe in things, that's enough sometimes and I will never change.Cheers Why even try?
Why even try? That's my life's motto.

(Not really but gotta toss CN a bone)

RE: revolutionary war myths - Cynical Ninja - 12-28-2013

If you all want to believe the bullshit flavoured koolaid you were force fed at school be my guest.

The truth can set you free and falsehoods can imprison you. If being in the prison of falsehoods as opposed to the freedom of truth makes you sleep easier at night so be it. But I'm afraid that permanently puts to bed any notion that any of you are free.

And once again I have to point out that nobody can or will refute any of the five points made in the article because, amidst all the howling, wailing and gnashing of teeth, they are all true and nothing will change that.

And the attempt to deflect by saying “its just because he thinks his country is better than ours the fool“. That turd has already been flushed ladies.