Mock
AGREE OR DISAGREE? - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Whatever Junk (https://mockforums.net/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: We Don't Give A Fuck About This Forum (https://mockforums.net/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: AGREE OR DISAGREE? (/thread-13957.html)

AGREE OR DISAGREE? - Duchess - 09-10-2019

There are schools who don't want Huck Fin read in the classrooms because it contains the N word. I'm uncertain as it's a vague memory but I think some schools did the same thing with To Kill A Mockingbird. As a parent, how do you feel about this? Do you agree or disagree?

RE: AGREE OR DISAGREE? - Maggot - 09-10-2019

So does the Martian chronicles but that's in the curriculum too. Changing words because they don't sound right does not change the definition or the historical association.

RE: AGREE OR DISAGREE? - Fry Guy - 09-10-2019

Kids ought not be hidden from the past. They need not marinate in it or adopt its mores but they should understand the past. They should understand context and Hell they should have access to literary classics. Atticus Finch was my hero as a kid.

RE: AGREE OR DISAGREE? - Duchess - 09-10-2019

I don't know why this bothers me. Not my monkey, not my circus, but it does. It would be young adults reading these books, not grade school kids and I really don't get why some parents & school districts think it's a good idea to protect young people from words. I view it as senseless and doing them a disservice. Same way I view those fuckin' participation trophies. Ugh.

RE: AGREE OR DISAGREE? - Fry Guy - 09-10-2019

(09-10-2019, 10:49 AM)Duchess Wrote: I don't know why this bothers me. Not my monkey, not my circus, but it does. It would be young adults reading these books, not grade school kids and I really don't get why some parents & school districts think it's a good idea to protect young people from words. I view it as senseless and doing them a disservice. Same way I view those fuckin' participation trophies. Ugh.

I agree. Maybe not as incensed but 100% agree.

I don't think I've ever been incensed about anything in life. That would require more caring than I'm prepared to give.

It occurred to me that there is something I get incensed about. Animal abuse, not only do I get incensed I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to say I feel murderous.

RE: AGREE OR DISAGREE? - Fry Guy - 09-11-2019

I don't understand the mindset of people sometimes. Animal abusers, rapists, child molesters and all other sort of inhuman folk should be dropped in a pit with a couple of hungry feral pigs

RE: AGREE OR DISAGREE? - Maggot - 09-11-2019

Texas is doing a good job at taking them to a higher power. Every week another is fried. Great job!

RE: AGREE OR DISAGREE? - Duchess - 09-13-2019

...aaaand now To Kill A Mockingbird has been pulled from schools in Biloxi. The school district received complaints that some of the book's language makes people uncomfortable. Man.

RE: AGREE OR DISAGREE? - MirahM - 09-13-2019

I do not agree with that at all.
I believe people should be exposed to these pieces and discussions could be had about the parts that people find uncomfortable.

RE: AGREE OR DISAGREE? - sally - 09-13-2019

Fucking stupid. People just love to make big deals out of nothing. You might wnt to reevaluate your life and priorities when you have nothing better to do than make a stink about kids reading To Kill A Mockingbird.

RE: AGREE OR DISAGREE? - Carsman - 09-13-2019

So called political correctness run amuck to the highest degree! Absurd! 106 Insane

RE: AGREE OR DISAGREE? - Duchess - 09-14-2019

It's ironic to me that back in the day Biloxi, Mississippi and the fictional town in Alabama in To Kill A Mockingbird are virtually the same place. It's difficult to distinguish towns in the deep south.

RE: AGREE OR DISAGREE? - Fry Guy - 09-15-2019

(09-13-2019, 08:18 PM)Duchess Wrote: ...aaaand now To Kill A Mockingbird has been pulled from schools in Biloxi. The school district received complaints that some of the book's language makes people uncomfortable. Man.

To Kill a Mockingbird was such a great story for kids. Ignorance, poverty, courage, racism, how to be a decent adult and such.

It was an incredible think for a kid to read.

RE: AGREE OR DISAGREE? - Duchess - 09-15-2019

I always struggle to understand why parents would want to protect their kids from words and other things of that nature. Shouldn't their job be in preparing them for the real world and all that entails?