Mock
strapped in the stadium? Ohio CCW laws - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Discussions, Opinions & Debate (https://mockforums.net/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: strapped in the stadium? Ohio CCW laws (/thread-5895.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

strapped in the stadium? Ohio CCW laws - Lady Cop - 06-18-2011

sorry, i think it's a bad idea that will lead to fatalities.

Ohio is on the verge of allowing people with concealed-carry permits to take their firearms into many facilities that serve alcohol, including bars, restaurants, and sports stadiums.

The Republican-controlled legislature passed the legislation this week and sent it to Gov. John Kasich's desk. A spokesman for Kasich, a first-term Republican, has said he would sign it.

Opponents say it will lead to a dangerous mix of booze and firearms.

"What Ohio wants to do is totally different from what we're seeing elsewhere," Brian Malte, director of state legislation for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence in Washington, told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "It definitely goes a lot further than other states. I would say it goes further also by including sports stadiums, which is a very radical idea."

But supporters say the measure is about allowing people who legally have concealed weapons to carry the firearms into restaurants that happen to serve alcohol, instead of leaving them behind in a vehicle.

"Ohio's concealed handgun licensees already can carry into nearly any burger joint. But if they try to have a hamburger and Coke at a Max & Emma's while armed, they commit a crime," said Jeff Garvas, the president of Ohioans for Concealed Carry, in a opinion article published last month in numerous local publications. "The only difference between the lawful and criminal act is the presence of a liquor license at a particular restaurant. That's the simple problem that 'restaurant carry' legislation is designed to fix."

Ohio is among nine states that generally prohibit firearms where alcohol is served and consumed, according to the Legal Community Against Violence, a national public interest law center aimed at preventing gun violence. Eight states allow guns in bars and restaurants, and a dozen states prohibit guns in bars but allow them in at least limited parts of restaurants. The remaining 21 states don't have laws on the issue.

Columbus Mayor Michael Coleman is urging Kasich to veto the measure.

"As a member of Congress, Gov. Kasich compiled a strong record of standing up to the powerful gun lobby," Coleman said in a statement. "We ask him to do so again today. Gov. Kasich has an opportunity to stand with the overwhelming majority of Ohioans, including police officers, prosecutors, restaurant owners and even gun owners, by vetoing this legislation."

If Kasich signs the bill, state law would no longer prohibit people from carrying their concealed firearms into roughly 17,000 facilities where alcohol is served and consumed. It also would allow a person with the proper permit to have a loaded handgun in a vehicle even if the gun is not secured in a holster or other specified container, as long as the person isn't violating other legal restrictions.

Among the facilities that would be affected are restaurants, bars, sports stadiums, nightclubs, shopping malls and museums. University sports venues apparently would not be affected because properties owned or leased by colleges are among the places where Ohio law generally bans concealed firearms. Such weapons also are prohibited at many government facilities, school areas and places of worship.

Establishments that want to prohibit firearms can still take advantage of the existing law that lets privately owned or leased venues do so. For example, the facilities that are home to Ohio's major professional sports teams plan to continue to ban weapons, for safety reasons.

RE: strapped in the stadium? Ohio CCW laws - IMaDick - 06-18-2011

New mexico already has that law, the person carrying cannot consume the alcohol.

I don't like restrictions of any kind on carrying a firearm, given an inch they will take a mile.

People who get CCW's are law abiding people they have been checked and checked again, there is no common sense in limiting the lawabiding people to protect the criminal.

RE: strapped in the stadium? Ohio CCW laws - Duchess - 06-18-2011

I ALWAYS allow for Murphy's Law and I think this is a bad idea.

It may not work in ohio, but it works fine here.

RE: strapped in the stadium? Ohio CCW laws - Lady Cop - 06-18-2011

i have always been in favor of CCWs anywhere for anyone who passes background check and is a law-abiding citizen. i wasn't really thinking of another gun debate, although where it goes is where it goes. my concern is sports stadiums and drunks and opposing angry teams. we have seen one guy in a coma already from a beating for wearing the "wrong" jersey.
what would have happened in Vancouver? (i know, it's Canada, so what. sports fans can be insane anywhere when they lose.)

and how do you enforce concealed carry/no drinking? hahaha--- until they are shitfaced and shoot the guy who 'insulted' them. Drinking too much Guns

i hope this bill is defeated.

How many nice restaurants serve alcohol? you know this bill is about more than just sports and bar venues, up until the law was passed here, CCW carriers were prohibited from carrying their weapons when they went out to eat any place that served wine or beer.

Why should a lawabiding citizen have to give up his right to defend himself simply because he chose to go out and eat?

Private establishments can still prohibit the carrying of firearms, a simple posting of a sign is all that is required, it lets people chose where to go, if they chose not to give up the right to self protection then they can eat someplace that respects individual freedoms, or they can shove their weapon in the trunk of the car and go eat where they are prohibited by the owners of the property, prohibited not by the government or restrictions that are placed on everyone just to cover the asses of the criminals who know without a doubt that they will be the only armed people in the place.

RE: strapped in the stadium? Ohio CCW laws - Carsman - 06-18-2011

Allowing mass CCW carriers all over can likely lead to disaster. Many years ago, I ran with a crowd that was somewhat on the wild side. One of the guys in that crowd, was 5'-7" tall, & weighed in around 110lbs dripping wet. He CCW, (no permit) & knowing that he CCW made him feel & act like he was 10' tall, fearless, & had an attitude. I used to hate going out to a restaurant & or bar with him cause he was always looking for action, and for somebody to start something. Well as it turned out, one night he went to a nightclub by himself, & with his attitude got into a fight. He drew his gun & the other guy got it away from him & actually shot this guy with his own gun, in the groin! (It was said the guy was aming for his balls)
Needless to say, I re-evaluated my association with that crowd, & shortly thereafter, we went seperate ways.

As mentioned this was many years ago, at a time when I believe there were not as many people CCW, as is done today, both by male & female, legally & or illegally! So shit will happen!!!

Ya shit happens that's why it is completely without a doubt the most important thing a person can do is be prepared to protect themselves as much of the time as is possible ,however with people like you running around trying to make everyone of the same retardation as your friends it becomes harder and harder for the rest of us to protect your Constitutional freedoms.

FFS 30 states have CCW laws, and you think that there isn't already mass carriers all over the place? the thing is if it's being done correctly you would never know they are carrying a weapon until one of them saves your sorry ass.

(06-18-2011, 06:44 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Ya shit happens that's why it is completely without a doubt the most important thing a person can do is be prepared to protect themselves as much of the time as is possible ,however with people like you running around trying to make everyone of the same retardation as your friends it becomes harder and harder for the rest of us to protect your Constitutional freedoms.

FFS 30 states have CCW laws, and you think that there isn't already mass carriers all over the place? the thing is if it's being done correctly you would never know they are carrying a weapon until one of them saves your sorry ass.

That IF is 10 feet tall! When alcohol & or hot sore loser tempers flare, (all bets are off) opponents having CCW's will surely heighten the severity of the over all situation. I don't want my sorry ass to be hit by some friggin sorry ass's stray bullet!

You have the right to keep and bear arms, except,except,except,except,except,except,except,except,except,except,except,except,except,except,except,except,except.

JFC some people are dense.

Yes they are.

I carry a weapon 247 carsman and have for more than 30 years, just because you don't think you can deal with carrying a weapon and maintain your self control, doesn't mean everyone else is the same.

Do you seriously think that there are no guns at sporting events now just because it's supposedly illegal?

you just told us a story about your butt buddy that carried all the time without a CCW, do you think he is alone and the only one that does that?

you surely are dense

RE: strapped in the stadium? Ohio CCW laws - Adub - 06-18-2011

I am not in favor of carrying concealed weapons. Any where, any how. Get them guns off the streets. It is just intimidating, imho.
Who the fuck needs to be walking around with a gun?

RE: strapped in the stadium? Ohio CCW laws - Cracker - 06-18-2011

(06-18-2011, 10:05 PM)Adub Wrote: I am not in favor of carrying concealed weapons. Any where, any how. Get them guns off the streets. It is just intimidating, imho.
Who the fuck needs to be walking around with a gun?

I think you would be much happier in another country. You are not an American. You should PM OP. His closet is big enough for you and your family to relocate.

RE: strapped in the stadium? Ohio CCW laws - kitty1 - 06-18-2011

All I have to say that once again Ohio looks like it's filled with stupid people. We do have a lot of hoodrats so I am opposed to this. It will cause problems for us.

You can't level the playing field if only the hoodrats have guns, you need to have some in the hands of honest lawabiding people also.

I seriously do not see the problem with any law that enhances our constitutional rights and allows people to protect themselves.

Guns in the hands of the lawabiding citizen prevent crime not escalate it, it's been proven time and again that the states with CCW laws show a decrease in violent crime.

RE: strapped in the stadium? Ohio CCW laws - username - 06-19-2011

(06-18-2011, 10:34 PM)kitty1 Wrote: All I have to say that once again Ohio looks like it's filled with stupid people. We do have a lot of hoodrats so I am opposed to this. It will cause problems for us.

Most rational people would feel this way. I highly doubt our founding fathers were thinking about guns at Hooters restaurants.

Some people can't extrapolate the constitution to the 21st century.

RE: strapped in the stadium? Ohio CCW laws - IMaDick - 06-19-2011

They took their guns where ever they went, a little history from the 5th grade usedup.

The Constitution was not intended to change with the years If it can then that means that our rights can be taken ,that Government can become the rulers of the people as in a kingdom which was also never supposed to happen again, it also means that we the people have formed our own demise by forming ourselves into a democratic union, The Constitution is and always will be complete, it does not need to evolve to fit today.

I could go on expalining the Constitution to you, but I really think it would be falling on deaf ears and a dead spirit.

RE: strapped in the stadium? Ohio CCW laws - Carsman - 06-19-2011

(06-18-2011, 08:25 PM)IMaDick Wrote: I carry a weapon 247 carsman and have for more than 30 years, just because you don't think you can deal with carrying a weapon and maintain your self control, doesn't mean everyone else is the same.

Do you seriously think that there are no guns at sporting events now just because it's supposedly illegal?

you just told us a story about your butt buddy that carried all the time without a CCW, do you think he is alone and the only one that does that?

you surely are dense

I can maintain my self control quite well thankyou. Yes I'm sure there are also some nuts like you that CCW to sporting events. Where do you think you are, the wild wild west? LEO's on duty are there to protect the public, not you. If that law is in fact enacted, many many more will be packing & the wild wild west may just rise again.
And I am not totally against guns. Since I "own" a gun, legally, (use it at the indoor range, so know how to use it) and choose to leave it home, it's there, if needed. So . . .

RE: strapped in the stadium? Ohio CCW laws - Duchess - 06-19-2011

(06-19-2011, 01:09 AM)IMaDick Wrote: I could go on expalining the Constitution to you

Is Sarah on your mind?